Something written on the trem cover plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something written on the trem cover plate

ok i was adjusting the trim on this dr5 stone finish and i noticed written on the inside is a big initials with jackson #32 and trip wound. any ideas what this means? any help is welcome here is a picture of what i saw

Last edited by cornbread; 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM.

I'm thinking it's identifying what sort of strings the trem was set up for.... G&L? Do they make strings? "Trip.Wound" perhaps is triple wound....

Vass

Comment

I highly doubt it was done at the factory. Never seen anything in that vain before. Probably done at a dealer's or a distributor (?).

Comment

+1
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

yeah, i don't think jackson would write "jackson #32" on their own guitar :/
          DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

it is puzzling me. it was written for a reason. mabey a dealer thing. sure wish i knew for sure

Comment

wtf is a trim?
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

trem is short for tremelo and i am refering to the cover of the floating bridge. the whammy bar many names i have always called them trems. it is the cover that hides the springs in the back

Comment

Or, the G.L. stands for....*gasp*....GEORGE LYNCH

Comment

Or it could be GJ for Grover Jackson!
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by cornbread View Post
                      trem is short for tremelo and i am refering to the cover of the floating bridge. the whammy bar many names i have always called them trems. it is the cover that hides the springs in the back
                      I know what a trem is, but you said trIm the first time:ROTF:
                      Out Of Ideas

Comment

well TRIM is good too. lol

Comment

well i talked to the previous owner to get some back ground on this guitar. he bought it new in early 1994 from jackson. was going to do a custom but couldn't afford so the custom shop turned him on to this one. and shipped it to him directly from the factory. they told him it was a trial guitar that was built for a artist to try and see what changes they wanted to more fit there sound and style. there were actually 35 of these guitars all kinda different for people to try and see what they liked most and didn't like. things like different necks and pickups were used.

the stuff on the back refers to #32 in the series that was being used for a artist to try different setups. it was setup #32 for that style and the guitar is actually a late 1993. the trip wound refers to the humbucker that is in it. it was wound specially for this guitar and is supposed to be brighter and clearer than the stock one and is supposed to have the same initials on the bottom of the pickup. the initials on the cover plate is a G.L for the tech who built this one. so nothing special since this is kinda a test mule with only minor changes from a production shipped guitar, but kinda nice to know the pickup is kinda different. just a nice little facts that this guitar had some special attention when being built. it sounds great and now since i know the humbucker is kinda special i won't swap it out.
                          Last edited by cornbread; 10-27-2007, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cornbread View Post
                            well i talked to the previous owner to get some back ground on this guitar. he bought it new in early 1994 from jackson. was going to do a custom but couldn't afford so the custom shop turned him on to this one. and shipped it to him directly from the factory. they told him it was a trial guitar that was built for a artist to try and see what changes they wanted to more fit there sound and style. there were actually 35 of these guitars all kinda different for people to try and see what they liked most and didn't like. things like different necks and pickups were used.

the stuff on the back refers to #32 in the series that was being used for a artist to try different setups. it was setup #32 for that style and the guitar is actually a late 1993. the trip wound refers to the humbucker that is in it. it was wound specially for this guitar and is supposed to be brighter and clearer than the stock one and is supposed to have the same initials on the bottom of the pickup. the initials on the cover plate is a G.L for the tech who built this one. so nothing special since this is kinda a test mule with only minor changes from a production shipped guitar, but kinda nice to know the pickup is kinda different. just a nice little facts that this guitar had some special attention when being built. it sounds great and now since i know the humbucker is kinda special i won't swap it out.
                            Uhh...to be honest, that sounds like a total fairy tale. The DR-5 is japan-made import, and it is highly unlikely that it was built by someone that would use western alphabetic letters in his initials. Secondly, as far as I know, Jackson has never sold anything to end-users directly - all contact is usually handled through a retailer, and I highly doubt that they would waste time on someone that couldn't swing the cash for a custom. That would quickly become the retailer's problem. Also, if this was a prototype built in the US, it would have a totally different serial, and not the 6 digit one it has. Sounds to me like someone dreamt up a nice story to try and boost the value of this one.
                            Last edited by Sunbane; 10-29-2007, 05:55 AM.

Comment

i paid next to nothing for the guitar so value increase was not a issue. either way to me it is just a really great player. it sounds fantastic and plays like a dream and has a cool finish lol. so the writting makes no real difference just would be kinda nice to know. makes no difference. if it is a fairy tale then so be it i am just glad to have a good player added to the collection.

thanks so much for the information you guys have given me on this guitar for identity and all. you have been tons of help

Comment

Working...
                              X