Charvel neck on a Jackson Body?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel neck on a Jackson Body?????

I was wondering if I can put a Charvel neck on a Jackson body any one have any ideas?

Thanks all.

You can put a 21 or 22 fret Charvel neck on any Jackson body that was designed for a 22 fret neck.
    Same rules apply to 24 fret necks and bodies as well.
    You can't put a 22 fret neck on a body designed for a 24 fret neck and vice versa.
    -Rick

Comment

you beat me to it
      don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
      http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...597cebb139.jpg

Comment

You can't put a 22 fret neck on a body designed for a 24 fret neck and vice versa.
        Technically you could, but you'd have to modify the body and/or the neck if you want it to intonate properly above the first 3 or 4 frets
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

so its ok if you want to play nirvana
          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Any one know any thing about a Charvette? I'm trying to find a neck and there is a Charvette by Charvel on eBay any one know what the differents is?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote View Post
              Any one know any thing about a Charvette? I'm trying to find a neck and there is a Charvette by Charvel on eBay any one know what the differents is?

Thanks
              Spec-wise somebody else should answer this one but I believe the dimensions are the same. However, the Charvette was an entry level quality guitar...so I wouldn't recommend mixing the two unless you are ok with a lower quality neck.
              E = Fb

Comment

The neck on a charvette is the best part. Its about as nice as a model series neck. Its the hardware and plywood bodies that really bring it down.

Comment

So what do you think should I go with it?

Thanks for the info

Comment

It completely depends on which Charvette you're speaking about. Contrary to popular belief, only some of the bodies are laminants. There are some that are made as solid bodies. So, finding out which Charvette you're looking to build with/improve is important.

If you have a solid body Charvette, the "bad parts" are the pickups and hardware. Replace those, and you have a decent guitar. If you have a laminant body Charvette the neck is probably the only salvagable piece and can be transplanted on another guitar without worrying that it will turn to dust in your hands during a blistering solo. (Humor..ar ar ar)

Along with what has been mentioned, you also need to keep a couple other things in mind. One being the neck pocket. If it's going to be too loose then you're going to have to keep an eye on the neck shifting. If it's too tight, then you'll probably never get the neck in the pocket.

You also need to keep an eye on the scale length of the neck... Some Charvettes, like the Contemporary Series Charvels, were fusion models (meaning that it was constructed with the Gibson scale length as opposed to the standard Fender scale length) if you mix scales with necks and bodies it will never intonate properly.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                      It completely depends on which Charvette you're speaking about. Contrary to popular belief, only some of the bodies are laminants. There are some that are made as solid bodies. So, finding out which Charvette you're looking to build with/improve is important.

If you have a solid body Charvette, the "bad parts" are the pickups and hardware. Replace those, and you have a decent guitar. If you have a laminant body Charvette the neck is probably the only salvagable piece and can be transplanted on another guitar without worrying that it will turn to dust in your hands during a blistering solo. (Humor..ar ar ar)

Along with what has been mentioned, you also need to keep a couple other things in mind. One being the neck pocket. If it's going to be too loose then you're going to have to keep an eye on the neck shifting. If it's too tight, then you'll probably never get the neck in the pocket.

You also need to keep an eye on the scale length of the neck... Some Charvettes, like the Contemporary Series Charvels, were fusion models (meaning that it was constructed with the Gibson scale length as opposed to the standard Fender scale length) if you mix scales with necks and bodies it will never intonate properly.

I'm not building a Charvette I got a Jackson DKMG 24 fret body with 2 EMG 81's and a FR and I'm looking for a neck for it and I found this Charvette neck on eBay and heres what he says about it.

GENUINE 87-88 CHARVEL/CHARVETTE MAPLE NECK, ROSEWOOD BOARD, WITH LOCKING NUT.
                      • 24 JUMBO FRETS
                      • FUNCTIONING TRUSS ROD
                      • BLACK LOCKING NUT INCLUDED
                      • NEAR MINT CONDITION
                      • NO FRET FRETWEAR
                      • STRIGHT AS AN ARROW
                      • NO NICKS, NO DENTS
                      • MODEL 270

It's on eBay for $65+ shipping dose any one think its to much? there are others just like it for $130 + shipping.

Thanks.

Comment

Wasn't saying you were building a Charvette. Just putting a little more info out there than what was probably necessary.

Hmmm, 270? I don't have records on that, maybe someone else does. The closest I can find is the 170 and that IS a fusion (IE Gibson Scale) neck. All the other models I'm seeing with regular scaled necks are 22 fretters.
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

[quote=Tekky;1001944]Wasn't saying you were building a Charvette. Just putting a little more info out there than what was probably necessary.

Sorry didn't mean to come off wrong there didn't mean any thing by it

Thanks for all of the info you've been a big help I really don't know any thing about Jacksons so thanks again.

Coyote

Comment

Not a problem. like I said, i was just spouting off more info than necessary. Too much is never a problem. But too little...

Anyhooo... I mentioned that I don't have info on the 270, but I did find some here. (via a Google search) It appears that it is in fact a Fusion (Gibson scale) neck.

I've had someone here disagree with me that you can swap out a 24-fret Fender scale neck with a 24 fret Gibson scale neck and all would be kosher. However, no matter what, the distance between the bridge and the 12th fret must equal the distance between the 12th fret and the nut for proper intonation.
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

I have done it, but I had it tuned to C. seemed to tune OK. With C tunings I wasn't playing a lot of 6 string chords though. :ROTF: 5th chords sounded great.

Comment

Working...
                              X