Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good idea to buy a backup guitar same as main guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good idea to buy a backup guitar same as main guitar?

I love my DK-6 COW model very much. It has everything that I need. 1 humbucker, 1 volume, quick battery change cavity, ebony fretboard..the works. What is your guys idea of buying a second backup the same as your main one..but maybe in a different color or should I just go buy a much different guitar that I might need for different sounds that could still serve as a backup? Thanks!

Backup guitar...good excuse to buy something slightly different that you always wanted! (IMHO)

Comment

for sure! i have a few... lol
      i guess just get a guitar that you love for the same reasons as your main (more or less).
      DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

I've got a few guitars. A PRS CE24 (process of selling), 2 strats, 2 soloists, a charvel I inherited, an Ibanez 7 string, and my main guitars have always been a strat and a soloist.

My back up rig is damn near the same as my main rig, just small variations.
        Main- Sl2H, and a 95 Strat with a distortion and a lil'59
        Backup- Sl2HMAH, and an 89 strat with 3 emg sa.

I basically made the rule to myself, I cannot get rid of well the guitar I inherited, but those main 4. Like, things can come and go, but that's my main rig and I've got to keep it.

If I were you, and you had the jing, look for another guitar with the features you want. Or, if you are just looking for a backup, you could pickup a cheaper import Jackson (like a used DK2) and put that one pickup in it, with one volume, and leave the other parts in it, just not hooked up...OR keep them in for more tonal variety.

If you're like me though, I've got really 2-3 distorted sounds I can get with all of my gear, and 2-4 clean sounds. I'm straight forward to my approach, and it doesn't matter what piece gets me there. Maybe you just want another exacting replica, and in that case, buy another one of what you have.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! Reason I like a 1 humbucker, 1 volume guitar is since the EMG runs on a 9v battery, the battery would last longer, has more headroom and also since its hooked to 1 volume control, the pickup won't take the load with an extra tone control. I also like fixed bridges, because they're easier to maintain and have a little bit more sustain than the floyd trems. I do like to use the whammy, but I don't use it enough to even want a floyd equipped guitar. I've been wanting the dk-6 but with the Mako finish and no one seems to sell those around here.

Comment

Yes why not?... When one of your strings go to buy a snicker you just
            grab your backup guitar and if it`s the same as the main guitar then you
            have the same feeling and everything than if you would have a different
            one (shape or model or whatsover)...
            Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I have mixed feelings on this topic.
              Over the years I have acquired six Jacksons which are all very different from each other... though all are string-thru, they differ in shape and neck construction. I generally go for the variation as it keeps things interesting and offers more possibilities.

However, I own a COW DK6 and it is my main guitar for my deathmetal band. It is also very unique in its configuration, the thinner body and the unusual thick and round neck. I love how it feels, just suits me so well.
              My backup guitar right now is a DKMGT which has a thicker body but very thin neck, and it always feels weird for a short time when switching between the two. Here I wouldn't mind owning a second DK6 as a backup...
              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I may consider getting another dk-6 in the future. Mako finish..or the dreadful red.

Comment

I say go for it. Personally when I pick up one of my guitars and it feels or sounds different I always think, "It would be nice to have another exactly the same".
                  I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
                    I say go for it. Personally when I pick up one of my guitars and it feels or sounds different I always think, "It would be nice to have another exactly the same".
                    Who'd you talkin' bout, Willis? j/k Thanks, I may consider getting another same backup.

Comment

Backup for me was always an excuse for something else. But not too different. You'll be in some trouble going from Ibanez popstick to a baseball bat in mid gig...
                      Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

Like having a les paul as your main guitar..and then switch to your strat as your backup..there would probably be some trouble there.

Comment

Maybe a COW7 ?

Comment

After joining this board don't you know you can't just have 2.

Comment

Originally posted by VEGETATHEPUPPET View Post
                              Maybe a COW7 ?
                              Not a 7 string fan, although I considered it..but I'm not much of a drop tune or low A or C tuning kinda person to warrant a 7 string or a baritone. Anyone know where I can get a Mako (silverburst) COW?
                              Last edited by minh80; 11-04-2007, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X