Jackson DK2M problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DK2M problems

I just purchased a Jackson DK2M guitar and am having some problems that I was hoping you guys could help with. Mine has the same problem that a lot of others are having with the neck being crooked sitting in the neck pocket(low E side low, high E side sitting up). I read the threds concerning this issue and it seems that the conclusion was that the neck is out of spec and not the neck pocket? I didn't want to try sanding the neck down so I thought it might be better to shim the low E side that is low to bring it up even with the high E side. What do you think? I'm also having other problems. The action was very high so I tried lowering the trem but one of the trem anchor screwws seems to have too much coating so the allen wrench won't fit properly and keeps slipping. I had a problem with the trem bar coming loose but I fixed that by filing down one side of the reataining pin that goes through the bar. The pin was sticking out too far on one side and grabbing the threads on the hand screw, so when you moved the trem bar, instead of moving freely the bar pin was grabbing the hand screw and loosening or tightening it. If others are having this problem let me know and I can make pics explaining it. One more problem is when I use the trem, the neck makes a popping noise when the string tension is slack and when you pull up on the bar. i'm guessing this is caused by the crooked neck not sitting in the neck pocket properly. Should I pull the neck and try to sand the pocket? I got the guitar for the blowout price and the store is an hour and a half away so I'm debating on returning the guitar. I emailed Fender-Jackson about the problems with pics included so we'll see if they respond. Any help or advice you guys can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

someone help this guy out with his 1st post ever
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

New guitar?
      Send it, or take it back maybe?

Comment

That sucks big time! I'd try to return the guitar.
        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I have a DK2M, also. I'm thinking about selling it and buying a DK1. It might save me a lot of hassle. I suggest this guy do the same. I think these DK2Ms are more trouble than they are worth. The only reason people like these (including myself) is because they have a maple board, otherwise no one would be buying them. Oh and before I forget, welcome to the forum, dude.
          "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Definitely return the guitar. I can't believe that they still let these slip through QC.

Comment

Take it back.
              -Rick

Comment

Return it!

Comment

Return it and either exchange it for another one or get a refund. My first DK2M had the same problem that you described and I put a small shim in the neck pocket to even it out. I also lowered the action but I didn't have the problem that you did with the posts. Lastly, once I'd done all of that, I found a crack in the wood behind trem post so that was when I decided to return it and get a new one. It took about 4 weeks to get a replacement guitar but that one was in far better shape with the neck pocket nearly perfect. All I've done to my new one is put on new strings, refloat the bridge and touch up the intonation.

I'd be interested to know if FMIC responds to you and if so, what they say.

Good luck and welcome to the JCF.
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

hmm, I just got a DK2M at the clearance price of $270 and though my first views were that its just a bad guitar, after playing it through the GT-8, I think its a nice guitar. Yes, the action was very high after I just finished tuning, but that was easily fixed by tightening the screws holding the spring claw at the back. now, the strings are at the right tension and it plays just as good as my DK2T. Let me see if I can identify the neck problems you are talking about.
                    Sam

Comment

Mine had same problem, the routing in the pocket was poor, causing the treble side to be high. I 'cleaned up' the routing with a dremel, added a 1" x 1/4" 0.032" thick (about 3 business cards) shim on the bass side and it fixed everything, see my post about 1/2 way down this thread:

Comment

I really appreciate the responses from you guys. I did recieve an email form Jackson but it just said to take it to a service center. I'm on the fence about taking it back for a refund. It was the last one they had so I can't exchange it. I was wrong about the popping sound coming from the neck pocket, it's coming from the nut on the low e side. If I unscrew the string clamp screw and take the string clamp off, it doesn't make the popping sound using the trem anymore but of course it comes out of tune. I can't see anything causing it and even tried switching out the string clamp but nothing helps. Any ideas? Also, as far as the anchor screw, does anyone know the exact wrench size? Maybe my wrench is a little undersized even though it fit in the other anchor screw tight and allowed me to turn it with no problems. Could I just replace the anchor screws with the Floyd Rose anchor screws or would that not work? I'm not sure if the studs and bushings have the same thread pattern as the FR. Like I said, I'm really debating on what to do seeing how the guitar was only $269. Again, I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Dude, take the thing back.
                          It was $269 because it was probably and abused floor model.
                          Unless the guitar was sold as "used" or "as-is", they have to exchange it.
                          DO NOT try and fix it yourself. You run the risk of voiding the warranty.
                          They can get more. It's not like Jackson stopped making them.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by damon1 View Post
                            I really appreciate the responses from you guys. I did recieve an email form Jackson but it just said to take it to a service center. I'm on the fence about taking it back for a refund. It was the last one they had so I can't exchange it. I was wrong about the popping sound coming from the neck pocket, it's coming from the nut on the low e side. If I unscrew the string clamp screw and take the string clamp off, it doesn't make the popping sound using the trem anymore but of course it comes out of tune. I can't see anything causing it and even tried switching out the string clamp but nothing helps. Any ideas? Also, as far as the anchor screw, does anyone know the exact wrench size? Maybe my wrench is a little undersized even though it fit in the other anchor screw tight and allowed me to turn it with no problems. Could I just replace the anchor screws with the Floyd Rose anchor screws or would that not work? I'm not sure if the studs and bushings have the same thread pattern as the FR. Like I said, I'm really debating on what to do seeing how the guitar was only $269. Again, I really appreciate the help.
                            It's popping because the nut is not straight. Many guitars do this. You can have it fixed or just take it back. It's your choice. I would take it back.
                            "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

The high E side of the fretboard does indeed sit higher from the body than the low E side. but this height-difference is so small. A dunlop Jazz III pick slides easily between the fretboard overhang and the body on the high E side. But needs a push to slide in on the low E side.
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X