The Mark Morton sig vs. Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shreder13 View Post
    I've always wanted to try one, being a king v fanatic the frets on the morton sound like I would be right at home.
    I owned a King V and it has a pretty slim neck. I'd check one out before you went and bought it. With its neck being thicker, you may not like it.

Comment

just keep in mind...someday your going to want to sell that guitar.

Comment

Owning both a Morton and an LP Standard, I can't say that one is "better" than the other. It's easy to quibble over the "USA vs Japan" thing, but it's not an issue for me.

Also, resale isn't an issue for me either.

Both are equal in terms of playability and quality of tone, which are the 2 most important aspects of choosing a guitar.

If you want to get into cosmetics, the Morton wins for the figured top but the LP wins for traditional crowd appeal - it's a more acceptable image in most clubs and bars, though I doubt the Morton will get as many strange looks and ignorant comments as a King V or Warrior.

Sitting comfort is equal, with a slight edge for the Morton for its more symmetrical shape, though the major factor in that is your personal style - if you typically rest a guitar across your fretting thigh, and hold the axe in Classical position, the Morton's extended lower bout may rest on the seat of the chair, depending on how thick your leg is, and the size of the seat of the chair you sit in.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you don't like the controls on a LP, the layout seems pretty much similar on the Morton sig, at least from pics. Never played one though.
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I don't care about resale or cosmetics here. My number one concerns are playability and tone... tone above all.

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
              If you don't like the controls on a LP, the layout seems pretty much similar on the Morton sig, at least from pics. Never played one though.
              The Morton controls are actually the opposite of a Les Paul. The controls closer to the bridge and tailpiece are for the bridge pickup.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oh. You can easily swap them around to your liking then.

For 4 knobs / 2 pickups i got used to my peavey ntb5 bass - front ones (further from the bridge) are volume, and rear ones are tone. Top ones are vol/tone for neck pickup, and bottom ones for bridge.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb View Post
                  I owned a King V and it has a pretty slim neck. I'd check one out before you went and bought it. With its neck being thicker, you may not like it.
                  The necks no problem, I have a Les Paul and the neck is great, just not for metal solos
                  Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

I much prefer my Les Paul to my Jackson DKMGT, but that's because I just like the fatter neck.

Comment

Get an Agile 3500!! Great LP copy without the insane price.
                      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I had one of those Agile LPs, a Goldtop. Wish I still did

Anyhoo, the Morton is also lighter than an LP, and as I said, the tone is just as good in my opinion.

I'd say find both at a store. Bring your own amp and set it your way, then compare the two. If you've got a small digital recorder you can bring to record a few different things, then listen to them later and pick apart all the tonal differences, that would help you decide which one you want.

Ideally, you should get one of each

Being a child of the 70s and growing up on Zeppelin, a Les Paul was a no-brainer must-have for me. I got one but I rarely ever play it anymore, but can't bring myself to part with it.

I don't see myself parting with my Old School Burst Morton either. Maybe the Primer, but if I ever sold both I'd get another one again later.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          I don't see myself parting with my Old School Burst Morton either. Maybe the Primer, but if I ever sold both I'd get another one again later.
                          When did you get an Old School Burst? I thought yours was Bourbon Burst.

Comment

Bourbon, Old School, whatever the hell it is

Comment

LOL Mine is Old School, a rusty color. Yours is lighter with more yellow, like watered-down Bourbon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                                Well, they are both chambered so they have that in common...

I have not heard a Morton, they look sweet though...
                                Here's Mark Playing one on youtube...check 2:30 into lesson...Willie strarts off the Lesson on his Signature ESP. http://youtube.com/watch?v=84Z3KmyxXYU

Comment

Working...
                                X