Jackson starter pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson starter pack?

I have a friend that is going to get his 12 y/o an electric for Christmas in hopes that he'll start playing. He's never picked up a guitar, nor really expressed interest in playing, but it seems like something cool he may like, so my friend's going to get him something to start with.

At first I thought one of those Costco fender packs for 200 bucks and if he didn't like it, he could just return it, but there's gotta be something better for about the same price. It seems like I saw a Jackson starter pack on ebay a week ago or so, does anyone know what I'm talking about.

It would also be nice to get him a Jackson something to start the name brand loyalty, eh?

You can do better by making your own pack:

If you can find one of these still around for $99 new

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revie...ial/index.html

and add this

http://www.marshallamps.com/product....uctCode=MG10CD

for $70

I had a MG10CD for 2 years, nice clean, and nice high gain, with a very useful tone control

The guitar I tried not bad
    Last edited by tanpsi; 12-13-2007, 09:54 PM.

Comment

This is just my opinion, but I only consider the USA and MIJ Jacksons to be "Jacksons" in terms of the feel of the neck. The cheaper ones feel to me no different than cheaper guitars of other brands.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll look around and see what I can do...

Comment

ive had my MG10cd for about 4 or 5 years now,its a wicked little practice amp
          http://www.myspace.com/deadsoldier2

Comment

Go with the cheap Jackson!!! 2 of my sons have each a JS20 (i think), I paid around 180$ each... Nice starter guitar. I own a cheap JS30 Kelly, and gig with it once a month... I did put Planet Waves tuners and recently a Dimarzio ToneZone in the bridge position... But these guitars (in the cheap category) are among the best out there.

Anyway, I wanted to get a "fixed bridge" Kelly, I had no choice of going with the JS serie, the custom shop was out of budget for me and I had not been lucky with the used market... But for the cheap mods I did to it, it is a killer guitar now... Anyway, I would not gig those cheap bars with a US made kelly worth over 2K$...

BTW, what is cool with the starter pack is that you get a reverse headstock and a fixed bridge!!!

Do a search, there is a bunch of threads on the JS serie and they are decent guitars for the price (IMHO for what it is worth).
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
              Anyway, I would not gig those cheap bars with a US made kelly worth over 2K$...
              i know a few people that have had nice guitars stolen after they had played a gig at a scummy bar
              http://www.myspace.com/deadsoldier2

Comment

Those packs are pretty good for the price. I feel the JS30DKT is on par with the Ibanez RG2EX and MH321 in terms of quality and sound/feel. The $200 also includes a head phone amp, but if you wanted to get him a nice little practice amp, look into a Roland Microcube. One of the best bang-for-the-buck amps for beginners out there, on par with the Spider IIIs. I don't feel the MG10s are a great value compared to the Spider III or Roland Cube series.

Comment

I found a DXMG in the paper here for 300 w/ EMG 81/85 in it, so I think we're going to go with that and a Spider III. Maybe we can talk the DXMG guy down a few bucks (he said obo) and get the whole thing for 350 or so. Thats a pretty pro set up for an insanely low price!

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
                    I found a DXMG in the paper here for 300 w/ EMG 81/85 in it, so I think we're going to go with that and a Spider III. Maybe we can talk the DXMG guy down a few bucks (he said obo) and get the whole thing for 350 or so. Thats a pretty pro set up for an insanely low price!
                    Good deal! Go for it!!!
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Wow that sounds like a sweet deal my youngest boy is 9 and he just started playing my Jackson DR3 which I have had EMG 81-85 in. I am looking to get him a small amp to practice with as well. He is still aways away from the KV2 and the Charvels LOL. But the DR3 is a great guitar I still play it a fare bit and I picked it up like new for $200.00.
                      Dogue

Comment

Working...
                      X