Jackson DK2T vs Ibanez Prestige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DK2T vs Ibanez Prestige

Hi everyone, I have been looking at getting an Ibanez RGA121, but have found the Jackson DK2T here in Australia are a bit cheaper, and come stock with SD JB and Jazz. What is the concensus- do the Japanese Jacksons match it with the prestige Ibanez models? ON paper the Jackson looks the goods, and having owned a Japanese Charvel before I am getting preety keen on the Jackson. Any thoughts/comments are much appreciated!

I've had a couple Dk2s and Ibanez Prestiges and played a couple more. To me there are +'s for both. But not much for the rga.

First of all I'm sure the dk2t will sound better. Most find the Ibanezs lifeless sounding. I like the sound of basswood but I like the sound of a dk2 more.

Playability wise they will be 2 different guitars because the prestige necks are really thin while the dk2 neck could be considered chunky. I prefer the dk2 neck.

As for looks, you can't beat a Jackson with sharkies and the pointy headstock easily

To me a hard tail is much more comfortable than a string thru so I like the rga better for that. Correct me if I'm wrong but a string thru guitar has the angled neck while hard tails don't have angled necks. I prefer the non-angled neck also.

Although both are made in Japan I think the dk2 will last longer, the Ibanezs are pretty weak especially on the finish dep. You'll probably have to change the pots of the dk2 but no big deal..

Good luck
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

i would say the ibanez prestige rga121 will be probably better than the dk2t. japanese jackson except jackson stars is only alright in quality, rga121 would offer better neck i reckon

Comment

My SLSMG begs to differ with that sentiment.
        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

as would my dk2 and rr3
          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
            +1 for that

Comment

Originally posted by raphael View Post
              i would say the ibanez prestige rga121 will be probably better than the dk2t. japanese jackson except jackson stars is only alright in quality, rga121 would offer better neck i reckon
              They are manufactured in the same factory. If you are talking about the bigboys ( rr-j1's and other high end stuff) they are not in the same catagory. And also more expensive.

Comment

My DK2T runs with the Ibanez easy. Plus it doesn't have the AANJ, which takes out retarded amounts of wood. While the quality of my 1990 Saber is a higher in terms of finish, hardware, and overall construction, it damn well should be, as it cost a fair bit more (adjusted for inflation, roughly $1500 instead of the $900 odd list on the DK2T). IMO however, the RGA 121 has better hardware and pots/switches/wiring but thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                  First of all I'm sure the dk2t will sound better. Most find the Ibanezs lifeless sounding. I like the sound of basswood but I like the sound of a dk2 more.
                  The RGA 121 has a mahogany back and a very thick maple top, but some of the sparkle finished ones were all mahogany. Much different sounding than basswood bodies.

Although both are made in Japan I think the dk2 will last longer, the Ibanezs are pretty weak especially on the finish dep.

Good luck
                  What finish do you speak of on the RGA121 that's weak? They're mainly available in natural finishes, besides some of their metallic sparkled ones. How could it possibly wear out when there's no paint on the natural finishes?

Originally posted by destructin_od View Post
                  They are manufactured in the same factory. If you are talking about the bigboys ( rr-j1's and other high end stuff) they are not in the same catagory. And also more expensive.
                  They are NOT made in the same factory. The Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige is made in the Fujigen factory where the higher end guitars are made. Different than the other factory that Jackson makes their regular mass produced lineup, as the Fujigen factory has better skilled laborers that pay attention to more detail. "Team J Craft" is a group of luthier's that make the Japanese Ibanez Prestiges. Not sure which factory the Jackson Stars lineup is produced, but they are sweet as heck! Possibly at the Fujigen factory?

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                  Had a Japanese neck through SLSMG. I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Ibanez RGA 121 neck was much smoother, thinner than the SLSMG and plays much better. Sound was better for the RGA121 in my opinion, because it had better highs than the SLSMG probably do to the RGA's thick maple cap. The RGA stayed in tune better.

Bottom line. DK2's are awesome guitars and I was about to get one, except the one that I looked at had a not so clean fretjob. They sound great with the Duncan's as I am a fan of the DK2's alder +Duncans=sweet sound. My RGA sounds a bit brighter than the DK2M, yet sounds a bit more full possibly due to the mahogany back. I switched the stock RGA's with the Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck, and it sounded so much better. Both are great guitars, but I'd like to say from my experience that the RGA is a much better quality than the DK.
                  Last edited by minh80; 12-20-2007, 03:02 AM.

Comment

I've had a couple Dk2s and Ibanez Prestiges and played a couple more. To me there are +'s for both. But not much for the rga.

Playability wise they will be 2 different guitars because the prestige necks are really thin while the dk2 neck could be considered chunky. I prefer the dk2 neck.

As for looks, you can't beat a Jackson with sharkies and the pointy headstock easily

To me a hard tail is much more comfortable than a string thru so I like the rga better for that. Correct me if I'm wrong but a string thru guitar has the angled neck while hard tails don't have angled necks. I prefer the non-angled neck also.

Although both are made in Japan I think the dk2 will last longer, the Ibanezs are pretty weak especially on the finish dep. You'll probably have to change the pots of the dk2 but no big deal..

Good luck

Sorry if I reposted, my computer did something. Anyways I was just saying the RGA121 is a fine instrument. I've never played the DK2 to compare it with, but I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong here

My RGA121, was one of the finest Ibanez's I've owned, and I'm prejudiced against Ibanez Prestige models. but that guitar had tremendous articulation. It was much brighter than the standard RG's, probably due to the carved maple top. It played like a more expensive guitar. All the frets, the neck angle, the action were really perfect.

why the heck did I sell that guitar? oh well. Again, I'm sure the Jackson DK2 is as good. Love their look. why not go to GC and just wail away for a couple of hours?

Comment

Originally posted by minh80 View Post
                      The RGA 121 has a mahogany back and a very thick maple top, but some of the sparkle finished ones were all mahogany. Much different sounding than basswood bodies.

What finish do you speak of on the RGA121 that's weak? They're mainly available in natural finishes, besides some of their metallic sparkled ones. How could it possibly wear out when there's no paint on the natural finishes?

They are NOT made in the same factory. The Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige is made in the Fujigen factory where the higher end guitars are made. Different than the other factory that Jackson makes their regular mass produced lineup, as the Fujigen factory has better skilled laborers that pay attention to more detail. "Team J Craft" is a group of luthier's that make the Japanese Ibanez Prestiges. Not sure which factory the Jackson Stars lineup is produced, but they are sweet as heck! Possibly at the Fujigen factory?
                      Dude you love your RGA a lot don't you?

I was speaking generally for the Ibanez Prestiges, if your guitar isn't a basswood then my comment was not about your guitar, as well as the finish thing. If your guitar doesn't have a finish then my comment is again not about your guitar. I'm sure you do know the Ibanez finishes wear out easily

Sorry for not knowing all the body woods and the finish options on the Ibanezs I wrote my opinion thinking it might be useful for someone thinking about buying a prestige..

One more thing, the factory comment was also NOT about "your" guitar. It was about the Jackson Stars and Japanese Jacksons
                      Check my bands!
                      www.myspace.com/magicktr
                      www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

I didn't like the RGA. I thought it had a brittle sound. I didn't like the Prestige Wizard compared to my old Wizard or Wizard II profiles. I tried out an SLSMG directly afterward and i thought it slayed the RGA, so much so that i ordered one.

Comment

Dude you love your RGA a lot don't you?
                          I do, but also I'd like to give positive points on the guitar, while you gave negative points..so the OP can figure out what he likes and what he probably doesn't like about it.

I was speaking generally for the Ibanez Prestiges, if your guitar isn't a basswood then my comment was not about your guitar, as well as the finish thing.
                          There's some confusion here. I thought you were talking about the RGA 121 the whole time, because that's what the OP wanted to know about, not about other Ibanez guitars. the OP asked about the RGA 121 and the DK2T, that's about it. I didn't know you were talking about Ibanez as a whole. We're not talking about not just my guitar, but I'm trying to help out the OP as well as he wanted more information on those 2 guitars. My apologies.

If your guitar doesn't have a finish then my comment is again not about your guitar. I'm sure you do know the Ibanez finishes wear out easily
                          About the finishes, I've owned 7 Ibanez's all different models through out my guitar playing years, and none of the finishes wore out.

Sorry for not knowing all the body woods and the finish options on the Ibanezs I wrote my opinion thinking it might be useful for someone thinking about buying a prestige.
                          You're against buying a Prestige, so I'm going to give my opinion as well, that's why where you leave off about not knowing the body woods and finish options is where I can provide with those answers. I'm all for buying Prestiges, since I've bought 3 Prestige's and I think they're all great guitars!

One more thing, the factory comment was also NOT about "your" guitar. It was about the Jackson Stars and Japanese Jacksons
                          I never talked to you about the factory comment at all. It was someone else that commented about that. Read it again. Thanks.
                          Last edited by minh80; 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I agree with minh80's comments regarding the Liam77's original question.

I have a DK2LE, DK2M, DK2MRGF, an RGA121 (and other Presitiges). I've found the DK2LE/DK2M to be a step above the 'normal' DK2's that I've played at GC/SamAsh and the 'normal' ones don't do anything much special for me.

The RGA121 is a very nice guitar. The attention to the neck and finishing and neck shape/contour is super excellent. Fretwork/fretends are top-notch. The natural body and hardware are top-notch too. There is a different 'feel' to the Prestige line, the minute you pick it up you can tell there is extra attention to detail.

The two guitars have different woods, different pickups, different neck shapes, so the best possible way for Liam77 to make a decision would be if he was able to play both of them and see which plays/sounds better.

Comment

minh80 I strongly recommend you to read all the posts in the thread especially mine, and especially before posting something negative

Originally posted by NextInLine
                              I think this is rather clear.

Yet you're telling me I'm against buying prestiges.. I've had 3 prestiges and still have one.

The rga might be better than the dk2, I'm not casting anything in stone, yet you only sounded like "my guitar is greater than you think"

So I'm not going to get in a childish arguement with you , have fun with your RGA and good luck to the thread starter
                              Check my bands!
                              www.myspace.com/magicktr
                              www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

Working...
                              X