How would i properly set-up a DK2M?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would i properly set-up a DK2M?

Alright so I just got the DK2M i ordered on halloween (snowstorms are balls) and sure enough, the thing is fuckin freezing and everything feels like it's gonna break. Soo... i'm letting it sit for now while i find out some things. First off, what do i need (should i) do before i start playing it? I noticed the tone knob is loose (moves up + down a little bit) and all the floyd tuners are way up high. So besides tightening these two and tuning it, what do i need to do?

Thanks,
    Paul
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Let it sit for a week before attempting to adjust the trussrod. That will give it time to acclimate.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yep, give it time to adjust to the new temperature and humidity levels. Wouldn't want to overstress the wood!
      Scott

Comment

Throw away the original knobs (mine were machined so they wobbled). I had a set of knobs of an old Charvel laying around and they look tits.

Next, throw away the strap buttons and get some good Schallers on there (nothing wrong with the stockers, I just like locking pins).

Next is to get rid of the plastic pup rings and get the good metal ones from StewMac or somesuch (the short ones). As well as looking better, you add a quarter pound of solid mass.

Finally, if you want to go all the way, go find a good deal on an old Floyd (a real one) and you will now have a kickass axe that's every bit as good as an American made one.

Enjoy!

There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

Originally posted by Joelski View Post
          Throw away the original knobs (mine were machined so they wobbled). I had a set of knobs of an old Charvel laying around and they look tits.

Next, throw away the strap buttons and get some good Schallers on there (nothing wrong with the stockers, I just like locking pins).

Next is to get rid of the plastic pup rings and get the good metal ones from StewMac or somesuch (the short ones). As well as looking better, you add a quarter pound of solid mass.

Finally, if you want to go all the way, go find a good deal on an old Floyd (a real one) and you will now have a kickass axe that's every bit as good as an American made one.

Enjoy!
          It might take me a while... but it will get done! Thanks for the tips and nice guitar Joelski

Comment

Yea i like the EDS finish on your DK. Some EDS finishes look way better than others

Comment

Leave it in a room temp around 68F to 72F for a while like they said let the wood settle. Then depends on you but a suggestion might be to put new strings, clean it, lemon oil the neck, 1-3 oil the floyd after that, jam it!! by the way nice guitar.

Comment

LOVE the EDS finish. You're giving me GAS. You bad boy.
                - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

Originally posted by skipguitarguy13 View Post
                  Leave it in a room temp around 68F to 72F for a while like they said let the wood settle. Then depends on you but a suggestion might be to put new strings, clean it, lemon oil the neck, 1-3 oil the floyd after that, jam it!! by the way nice guitar.
                  Lemon oil the neck, eh? What exactly does that do? Like, i hear people saying lemon oil this, lemon oil that but i hear no 'lemon oil makes it more pleasurable' ... so why?

(GUITAR, that is!)

EDIT: wouldn't it be better to leave it in a room at the temperature that it'll stay roughly in my house? I dunno fahrenheit (sp!) but in celsius my room stays at about 20-22.
                  Last edited by Szostak; 12-19-2007, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Dude... take it out of the case, replace the stock strings and play it.
                    The guitar will adjust to your room temp in about an hour tops.
                    The wood is sealed and not affected by minor climate changes. So unless it just came out of the freezer, it will be fine.

Don't touch the truss rod for 24 hours.
                    That is the one component that does need time as it's a piece of metal and it's shape will change as it warms up.

Lemon oil is one of many choices of oils used to keep the fretboard from drying out.
                    Last edited by rjohnstone; 12-19-2007, 12:51 PM.
                    -Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X