stock pickup on dk2s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock pickup on dk2s

anyone else thinks the stock bridge pickup on the DK2S sucks?
    well it does not suck.. i have a love/hate relationship with that damn pickup!
    sometimes with the right EQ it sounds decent but most times it's too dark sounding with no definition. I was surprised because in my DK2 the duncan designed pickup is brighter and just better sounding over all.. thought the real thing would be better

anyone else thinks so..

and on that note i will probably swap the pickup out, i need some advice on what should i put instead for the bridge position. i'm looking for a nice crunchy guns and roses type distortion
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

I think it is unresponsive overall. DK2S right? Isnt it a TB4? I have been thinking about a change, but dont have a clue what to try next, lol. I agree on the overall not sounding right. I might go with something very hot next and see.
    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Put an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit in and you may love that pickup.It will be more responsive and clearer sounding.
      The kits are light years ahead of the stock electronics.
      Last edited by straycat; 12-24-2007, 09:59 PM.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The duncan design might be based on the distortion rather than the JB - I'm not sure

Comment

Yeah, I bet you are right on the pots. I replaced all of the ones in my DKMGT with CTS pots and it is a totally different beast. That also could be due to the twin invaders also, LOL.
          Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

I bought my DK2S primarily for it's namesake Sustainiac pup, not the TB4. Otherwise, I'd have just bought a regular DK2. I've previously owned a DX10DFS which comes with DD's which sounded dirtier and brighter than the TB4.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The duncan design might be based on the distortion rather than the JB - I'm not sure
              the dk2 models came with the hb102 which are based on the JB. the lower end guitars with 2 humbuckers with DD have the hb103 based on the distortion pickup. The RR3 came with the hb108 -invaders. roughly speaking.
              I personally really like the 102 and 103. I have a set of each to go in my next project guitars.
              Last edited by Rich#6; 12-25-2007, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Put an rsguitarworks pot upgrade kit in and you may love that pickup.It will be more responsive and clearer sounding.
                The kits are light years ahead of the stock electronics.
                i was thinking about upgrading the pots (on both the DK2 and DK2S) but I have zero experience with that. is it something a guitar shop will do?
                If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Standard charge for this sorta thing in the UK is around £30. Some shops do it, others let staff do it privately (no comeback if they screw it up), some shops actually send your guitar away to be upgraded(?!).
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                    Standard charge for this sorta thing in the UK is around £30. Some shops do it, others let staff do it privately (no comeback if they screw it up), some shops actually send your guitar away to be upgraded(?!).
                    Hey on the topic of the DK2S I am thinking about ordering one today but swapping out the SD's for the same pickups in the PC1, I know it won't sound like it since it's two different kinds of wood, which is fine. I really dislike the SD's in my DK2 so if I but this I want to change it up. What I'm curious about is if anyone how done a pickup change on this with the sustainer, is this going to be enough of a nightmare that I should have it done instead of doing it myself? I've changed pickups before and they worked... but I'm not terribly confident when it comes to this situation.
                    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

JB. It sounds great in my SL3.
                      Or a Custom 5.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X