Please help to identify !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help to identify !

Hello everybody ! I'm glad, that I've found the JCFOnline site and I hope you guys can help me.

I was offered a Kelly KE3 (made in Japan) and now, that it's in my hands, I'm not sure, what model/year/origin it really is. After checking the catalog-scans at audiozone, I think, it could be a KE4. Anyway, the facts:
    S/N: 98120240 (8 digits - made in India ? But no 0 or 1 at the beginning)
    Trem: Schaller (maybe it was replaced)
    PUs: both replaced (DiMarzio at the neck; SD Inavder at the bridge)
    24 Frets, dot inlays (wide space at the 12th and 24th - India ?)

The pics are found here: (http://www.franx.at/Jackson/Kelly.htm)
    So, any Idea ?
    Thanx
    Last edited by Franx; 02-13-2008, 02:19 PM.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

It's A KE4 with a replaced floyd and pups. SO its a Made in Japan. Year maybe 98-99 but not sur about that.
    Jackson & Charvel abuser ...

Comment

Wide dots indicates India, but I'm not sure about that surface-mounted control cavity cover - is that really a Jackson body?

The model should be stamped on the neck heel and pocket.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That was quick - thank you.
        Well, the KE4 was my guess ... I think, I have to 're-think' that deal.

Comment

Looks like a mutt to me. It's certainly not a KE3, and I bet it isn't a KE4 either. Wide dots = not made in japan. Probably a JS series neck. Non-recessed control cavity cover = Not made in Japan. The neck plate doesn't even say "Jackson" on it.

I'd leave it alone, unless you can have it for cheap.

Comment

Hey Franx, seeing the guys here already helped you out, I guess I can disregard the email you sent me yesterday?
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I was thinking it might be a Musician's Friend "exclusive" JK-20 with some mods. A lot of the MF and GC guitars that I've seen didn't have a regular Jackson neck plate, just the plain style with a serial number, and dot inlays.
              sigpic

Comment

No logo on the neckplate throws up red flags for me. The bridge and bridge pickup are not original. The switch looks odd too, as well as the pickup rings.
                Scott

Comment

Made in India neck AND body. MIA bodys didnt have recessed rear covers, more rounded off corners, and the guitar originally had a JT500 trem... Note the non-Schaller trem posts. Standard India stuff.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                    Hey Franx, seeing the guys here already helped you out, I guess I can disregard the email you sent me yesterday?
                    Hello Henrik ! Yes, you are right ! Thank you !
                    I added 2 more pics: the writing on the neck says "17/12" and on the body: "9/4/92" and "OK" - I can't read the rest.

So far, so good (bad ?)
                    Franx

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      Wide dots indicates India, but I'm not sure about that surface-mounted control cavity cover - is that really a Jackson body?

The model should be stamped on the neck heel and pocket.
                      Hello Newc, I checked that and added 2 more pics. There's nothing "stamped"; on the neck heel it says "17/12" and on the pocket "9/4/92" and "OK". There is something else, but I can't read that.

All in all it wasn't my best decision to buy it "blind", just because the guy said "KE3 - perfect condition" on the phone.

Recently I got a '96 DX-1 in a real good condition and a JSX-94 (great neck) - both cheaper than this KE3/4/? !

Anyway, Jackson/Charvel guitars are great and this Forum along with Henrik's site are great, too.

Thank you, guys !

Comment

Working...
                      X