DK2 Mod or different guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2 Mod or different guitar

Alright, I have this black DK2 which I like but I really need to change the pickups. That's not a big deal. However I don't use the neck pup at all, and the middle pickup just gets in the way. I was debating filling in those pickup routes and have the guitar re-finished and basically have the DK2 version of my Model 2. I really want another single humbucker rear routed guitar, but I'm not sure what's really out there.

So I guess my question is, at this point would it probably be easier to just do the fill and re-fin then to find a DK2 or other jackson style with just one humbucker and a floyd. I can't find those DK2 with the ghost flames on Musicians Friend anymore. So I am sort of thinking I'm out of luck. I already have one Warmoth Soloist, but i sort of want to stay in the Jackson family as much as I can (plus I hate assembling stuff )

I may end up doing a custom jackson stars ASL or whatever they'll be making come the new management in that config but, that doesn't help my gas right now.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I'd say just don't use the pickups you don't use. Crank the middle pickup all the way down so it's not in your way (remove the height springs).

Simple as that, really.

Any fill-in will be noticeable over time unless you do a full surface cap, but that would involve shaving off the top to the thickness of the cap, unless you carve out the knobs and trem route, which would allow you to keep the same string height.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I did the same thing with a guitar, filled in the 2 single coils and repainted. It's not that hard, just route the holes square, buy a chuck of Alder or whatever the wood is and glue it in. Use wood filler to smooth it all out. The only downside with the mod I did is that I didn't take the time to have it professinally painted or even take the time to do it right myself, I just used a spray can! I'm after playability ... not looksability?

Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
      Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
      Fender Telecaster Standard MM
      Jackson Dinky DKMGT
      Jackson Stealth EX
      Charvel 375
      Ibanez Daytripper
      OLP Musicman
      Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
      Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

You could always keep an eye out for a used DK2LE. It sounds like the exact specs you're looking for so you won't have to mod your DK2. There were only 30 made, all in snow white with an EMG 81, but most of them were bought by members of the JCF. They pop up on the classifieds every now and then. Here's a pic of mine.

Comment

pickguard? although it would be a cool project for winter?
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by Skully View Post
            I did the same thing with a guitar, filled in the 2 single coils and repainted. It's not that hard, just route the holes square, buy a chuck of Alder or whatever the wood is and glue it in. Use wood filler to smooth it all out. The only downside with the mod I did is that I didn't take the time to have it professinally painted or even take the time to do it right myself, I just used a spray can! I'm after playability ... not looksability?

It looks a hell of a lot better then what I can do paint wise. I like it

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
              You could always keep an eye out for a used DK2LE. It sounds like the exact specs you're looking for so you won't have to mod your DK2. There were only 30 made, all in snow white with an EMG 81, but most of them were bought by members of the JCF. They pop up on the classifieds every now and then. Here's a pic of mine.

That's really sweet! That's a nice looking guitar right there and almost exactly what I'm looking for

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                pickguard? although it would be a cool project for winter?
                I did think about that, but I really like having as little on the face of the guitar as possible.

actually now that you mention it, that reminds me, the 5 way and tone.

I think I'll leave the DK2 be and fine one like was posted earlier or build another warmoth

Thanks everyone for the input

Comment

Working...
                X