PS-4 Pickup Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS-4 Pickup Swap

So, out of boredom today, I swapped the neck and bridge pickups on that PS-4 I recently scored.
    For the bridge, I used a stock bridge pickup from a model 2 that I had kicking around.
    Very nice indeed...
    For the neck, I swapped in a humbucker of unknown origin (kinda looks like an old Ibanez roadstar humbucker, with the two fat chrome steel bars) and it sounds great.
    Warm and jazzy when clean, sweet and Santana with the dirt cranked up.
    Overall, it really woke up the guitar.
    I may not keep it like this, but at least have stepped up three or four levels compared to the stock pickups that were in it, and sounded like ass.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Sounds nifty.
    I have a PS-4 that is my main gitfiddle. It's got a Seymour Duncan TB-6 in the bridge and just stock Jackson pickups in the other two spots. I very rarely use the Neck Humbucker and have recently been considering putting a new Seymour Duncan single coil in the middle. I am not sure which one yet; I have only let it flit through my mind, and haven't done any real research yet.

Comment

Thanks man
      I have a couple of cool single coils that I think would sound good in the middle spot, but they are not narrow like the jackson pickup that's in there (they have that little kick-out on the side where the wires come off it).
      Grrrrrrrr
      I'll have to buy something that will fit I guess, as I'm not into butchering up the body to make it work with these.
      Oh well... I get to do some research too!
      --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
        Thanks man
        I have a couple of cool single coils that I think would sound good in the middle spot, but they are not narrow like the jackson pickup that's in there (they have that little kick-out on the side where the wires come off it).
        Grrrrrrrr
        I'll have to buy something that will fit I guess, as I'm not into butchering up the body to make it work with these.
        Oh well... I get to do some research too!
        Spike, you should have went with EMG's. No routing required.
        MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Do they make passive versions of EMG S or SA's like the way the H4 and H4A's are versions of the EMG 81 & 85?

Comment

I started looking around last night for a Single Coil replacement, and I liked the Duncan SSL-4. Anyone got any reviews of this? I realize it's a subjective thing, but I'd appreciate any feedback y'all might have.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/82

Comment

OK, it's done.
              Bridge: Ibanez V2
              Middle: Ibanez S1
              Neck: Ibanez V1

Results: Well, if you like Dimarzio/Ibanez version of Dimarzio... very nice.

More details to follow... as I'm down to 1/8 turn adjustments for balance between the three pickups at the moment... but for now... very VERY nice balance.

I like.

I got a pretty good deal on the pickups (three different auctions on the E), and the end result was cheap enough (less than the cost of one used Dimarzio), and so far... well... let's just say I dig it muchly.

This has to be one of the all time great budget axes of all time (all my time anyhow)!

I think it's done.

I'll stop fretting,and start "fretting"... if you know what I mean.

hehe
              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                OK, it's done.
                Bridge: Ibanez V2
                Middle: Ibanez S1
                Neck: Ibanez V1

Results: Well, if you like Dimarzio/Ibanez version of Dimarzio... very nice.

More details to follow... as I'm down to 1/8 turn adjustments for balance between the three pickups at the moment... but for now... very VERY nice balance.

I like.

I got a pretty good deal on the pickups (three different auctions on the E), and the end result was cheap enough (less than the cost of one used Dimarzio), and so far... well... let's just say I dig it muchly.

This has to be one of the all time great budget axes of all time (all my time anyhow)!

I think it's done.

I'll stop fretting,and start "fretting"... if you know what I mean.

hehe
                I have that set of pups in an early 90s sabre and i love them.

Comment

Max,
                  Thanks for having an ear for good tone.
                  I-been-had like this before... and LOVED it!
                  I think Paul Gilbert may know a thing or two about tone... not sure... but... I would take a wild guess at it and say he does.

That should piss somebody off enough to try a set huh?

Rock on Brother!!!!!
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Alvin,
                    I took the dremel to it... forgive me, for I have sinned.
                    Can't see it... since the clearance is only required 3/8" below what's visible from the top of the body... but I know it's there (don't tell anyone, mmmmkay? hehe).
                    Really good setup.
                    Really!
                    --floydkramer

Comment

You could have cut the pickup too you know.
                      I did that to fit some DiMarzio singles into my Dinky XL.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Stray,
                        I was looking at that, but got nervous with the little wires being right near the edge...
                        Considering what I got the guitar for, well, and that I'm keeping it cuz it's plays so nice, I thought what the heck. As I say, it's hidden, and nicely done... I even took the black sharpie to it so with the pickup out it's even hard to see that I messed with it.
                        Plus... LOL... now I can put anything I want in there, right?
                        --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                        X