Help ID Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID Soloist

I'm looking at a black neck thru soloist with serial number 004029. It does not have neck binding and there is nothing on the headstock or truss rod cover other than the Jackson logo. It has a pickup config of HH with a volume, tone and 5 way switch. It also has the Jackson shark tooth inlays.

Can anyone tell me the model and year of this guitar. I'm pretty sure it is MIJ, but I don't really know for sure. Thanks for any help you can provide.

SL-4 (Discontinued model)
    Made in Korea or Indonesia. Don't recall exactly which it is, but they were not MIJ.
    -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the info. This ones not for me. I probably would have wasted my money on this without your help.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        SL-4 (Discontinued model)
        Made in Korea or Indonesia. Don't recall exactly which it is, but they were not MIJ.

Really? Are you sure about that? I bought mine new and it had a MIJ sticker on the back of the neck like the other MIJ imports. I would take a pic but, I ripped it off long ago.

Comment

Was it an SL4 or an SL3?
          SL3's are MIJ.

The serial does not indicate it as being MIJ.
          -Rick

Comment

It is an SL4 for sure.

Serial number on mine is 012147, FWIW.

Is there a web page somewhere that has import serials? I can't seem to find one.

Comment

Nope... no web page.
              Ron "RacerX" has them damn near committed to memory though.
              He might pipe up soon enough.
              -Rick

Comment

I always wanted one of those but not if it wasn't made in Japan.

Comment

Hmm, somethings not right here. Every one of the reviews on HC that mentions where the SL4 was made are saying Japan.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...4+Soloist/25/1
                  Last edited by Madness; 01-30-2008, 06:08 PM.

Comment

It's possible.
                    The serial is whats telling me they aren't, but I've been wrong before.
                    -Rick

Comment

I hear ya. I'm just puzzled because of the sticker mine had as well as the HC reviews. I have no clue how to decipher the serial #.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        It's possible.
                        The serial is whats telling me they aren't, but I've been wrong before.
                        And you're wrong now

SL-3 and SL-4 were both MIJ.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

See... I told ya Ron would come and straighten this out.
                          -Rick

Comment

Yo, Newc Jr., if you don't know the answer, just keep ya mouf shut

Comment

Originally posted by EricB View Post
                              I'm looking at a black neck thru soloist with serial number 004029.
                              Can anyone tell me the model and year of this guitar. I'm pretty sure it is MIJ, but I don't really know for sure. Thanks for any help you can provide.
                              Originally posted by Madness View Post
                              It is an SL4 for sure.
                              Serial number on mine is 012147, FWIW.
                              Is there a web page somewhere that has import serials? I can't seem to find one.

Later model Jap neck-through serials follow the format

0xxxxx

where the 1st & 2nd digit refers to the year

So Eric, yours is a 2000,

Madness, yours is a 2001

Comment

Working...
                              X