It's here (BOF) someone asked for pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's here (BOF) someone asked for pics

Ok, UPS delivered it yesterday, after spending the evening setting it up and getting all the previous owner bugs out of it (What were they thinking) here are some pics and thoughts. (Note) My camera sucks so please bear with the pics.

I can't help it! Every guitar I get, I always compare it to my San Dimas 3 (pictured above) as to me, it is my favorite guitar (wish I had 6 more just like it) The BOF so far does a far better job comparing to it than some others that I have owned. It feels totally different, the fretboard feels flatter and maybe a little wider, I don't know if it is or not. That's not really a bad thing, I like it, it's just different. So far I have only played it through my little crate practice amp in the house and haven't had a chance to hook it up to the Marshall and really CRANK IT but it seems to do pretty well tone wise despite the Duncans.
    In all I like it so far. Now that I got a fresh set of strings on it, got the trem leveled out the intonation set and the action lowered it's a very comfortable guitar with a fairly fast neck.
    One thing funny that I found, when I opened the back plate to adjust the tension on the trem, I found it was stuffed with paper towels... WTF??? Anybody know why anyone would do that??
    Prosecutors will be violated...

They probably stuffed it with paper towels to muffle the springs.
    I know a few guys who do something similar.
    They use a piece of felt or cloth and weave it between the springs to keep them from "ringing" or squeaking when you use the trem.
    -Rick

Comment

Yup, what Rick said. It's highly annoying when some notes will have a bit of "natural reverb" to them, and not others.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        They probably stuffed it with paper towels to muffle the springs.
        I know a few guys who do something similar.
        They use a piece of felt or cloth and weave it between the springs to keep them from "ringing" or squeaking when you use the trem.

Hmm, I can't say I've never really noticed that. It makes sense to me though.
        Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Speaking of that I came across a cool idea a while back: cutting aquarium tubing and putting it inside the springs to stop the vibrations. Looks a lot cleaner than stuffing paper towel around the springs.

I gotta say that BOF is really growin' on me.
          I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

http://cdwillis.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
            Speaking of that I came across a cool idea a while back: cutting aquarium tubing and putting it inside the springs to stop the vibrations. Looks a lot cleaner than stuffing paper towel around the springs. .
            The strange thing about this one was that the paper towels werent weaved or wrapped around the springs, they were just stuffed in between them. I dunno, I didn't take them out, doesn't seem to hurt the playing any so if it ain't broke....

Originally posted by cdwillis View Post
            I gotta say that BOF is really growin' on me.
            I've always liked it. I remember seeing them when they were still available in the stores, I wanted one then but just kept putting it off. I took it to band practice tonight so I was able to crank her up a bit. I gotta say, I may end up changing my mind about duncans. I've always been a Dimarzio fan but this thing through my Marshall has a really mean growl, and a pretty nasty bite!

Comment

Wow...nice guitar. I will be having the SAME FEELING in about a day or two when MY BOF Dinky arrives in the mail. I just got one in great condition on eBay this past Saturday. I can't wait for mine to come. Good luck with yours!
              Guitars:
              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
              1988 Model 2,
              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
              RR3
              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

Very nice aquisition.

I wedge a small piece of case foam under the springs to keep them quiet.
                My Toys:
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                '94 Dinky HX in Black
                '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
                  Wow...nice guitar. I will be having the SAME FEELING in about a day or two when MY BOF Dinky arrives in the mail. I just got one in great condition on eBay this past Saturday. I can't wait for mine to come. Good luck with yours!

I'm glad you got that one! I was watching it, but ended up getting this one. I'm just a little scared of ebay. Let me know how you like it.

Comment

It looks great !!

Congrats !

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
                      I'm glad you got that one! I was watching it, but ended up getting this one. I'm just a little scared of ebay. Let me know how you like it.

Looks like we're both on the same wave length! I will let ya know, it's great that you like yours. Have fun with it!
                      Guitars:
                      1988 Model 2,
                      RR3
                      1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                      2005 SG Special

Comment

Although many days late (Thanks USPS!) my BOF finally arrived also. I'm not trying to hijack this thread but figuring it's the same guitar I might as well add mine too. It was in much better condition than I expected. It is in almost mint condition with the exception of one small ding and very minor surface scratches. Also the humbucker ring was cracked but I changed the pickup anyway so it wasn't a big deal. It came with the Duncan Designed Single coils and a Duncan Screamin Demon humbucker. It's a nice pickup but not enough output for me, so I put in a Duncan Disortion Trembucker I had lying around. Makes this thing scream now. I also put on some Duncan Single coil covers on the "designed" p/u's just for looks at the moment. My plans are to replace one or both with some Duncan "rails" pickups (unsure which ones yet.) So here it is:

Last edited by jrnic; 02-16-2008, 01:20 AM.
                        Guitars:
                        1988 Model 2,
                        RR3
                        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                        2005 SG Special

Comment

Excellent Jrnc! Congrats! Don'tcha just love waiting for deliveries?
                          I'm still debating with myself on the pickup issue. Mine has plenty output, but I'm not sure I'm completely satisfied with the tone. My San Dimas has Dimarzios in it and I was thinking about trying a Tone Zone in this one, just not sure how big of a difference the wood will make.

That's definately a good lookin' BOF though,.

Comment

Excellent Jrnc! Congrats! Don'tcha just love waiting for deliveries?
                            I'm still debating with myself on the pickup issue. Mine has plenty output, but I'm not sure I'm completely satisfied with the tone. My San Dimas has Dimarzios in it and I was thinking about trying a Tone Zone in this one, just not sure how big of a difference the wood will make.

That's definately a good lookin' BOF though,.
                            Thanks very much. It was a long wait but definitely worth it. As for your pickups, you have the Duncan Designed also (including the humbucker?) If you do, your pickup is very similar to the Duncan Distortion so it probably sounds as good as mine with the Duncan. I have to admit though, I have always favored DiMarzios and seriously considered putting in a Super Distortion. Who knows, it will probably find it's way in it one day. The Tone Zone is a great choice also. Either way we both wound up with very cool guitars. Enjoy!
                            Guitars:
                            1988 Model 2,
                            RR3
                            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                            2005 SG Special

Comment

it seems to do pretty well tone wise despite the Duncans.
                              DESPITE the Duncans? Are they genuine Seymour Duncans?
                              I've put Seymour Duncans in all my guitars (apart from my Epi Black Beauty) as they're so good. Custom, Custom 5, Jazz, JB, Hot Rails - they all rock. What is it exactly you have in that guitar?
                              You could do a lot worse than trying a JB or Custom in the bridge, with Cool Rails in the middle and Hot Rails in the neck.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X