Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newb here, Identification question. Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb here, Identification question. Pics.

Hi there, folks. I've been lurking a bit around here, and decided to post as well. This is my first post on this forum, and (not so) coincidentally, my first Jackson!

I can see you guys get a lot of questions like this, and I've read through ~100 pages of forums to find a post that would answer my question, without any luck (the search feature also gives me a blank page upon submission). I've looked through various year catalogs, also without success.

What can you tell me about this guitar? I bought it for $200 USD, and it was described to me as a "Pro Kelly". I had it set up, and love how it plays. It sounds decent (currently using a Line6 TonePort GX) to my ears, but my geek side wants to know anything I can find out about it.

Without further ado, the pictures.

99083833 is that serial.

Also, I had to fix an issue with the volume pot (turned out one of the posts wasn't grounded properly). During my troubleshooting, I removed the pickups. They have only stickers on them that say M213 and M214. Can anyone shed some light on what exactly the pickups are? Everything I've found online refers to Kent Armstrong, but I don't know of any association between Jackson and Kent Armstrong.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to continuing to frequent these forums in the future.

Ke4 I thought had Kent Armstrong designed pickups, but KE3 to get the sharkies....

Oh, and I'd say $200 is a lights-out price for a KE3.

Vass
    Last edited by Vass; 02-10-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Take off the neck and see what model number is stamped on the end of the heel.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
        Ke4 I thought had Kent Armstrong designed pickups, but KE3 to get the sharkies....
        What he said! The KE4 had chrome hardware and dot inlays, so I'm going with KE3!
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Lev and Vass
          go to the back of the class!

Not a KE3, not a Kelly Pro.

With that ser # and that JT-500 trem, this guitar is most likely a 1999 KX10D, made in India. That switch is crap, as is the trem, but it looks in good shape overall. This model was also known for sharp fret ends & a serious neck dive.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, the switch and pot both appear to be "meh", I have a CTS pot and a switchcraft switch I'll probably swap in at some point. Any idea on the pickups?

Comment

Nope. Polish that turd!

Comment

Hey, one of the nicest electric guitars I've ever played on was a shitty Epiphone Les Paul.. sometimes all they need is a little TLC .

I don't have a bar for the trem, but I've heard stories about the JT500... anything that can be done short of replacing it?

Comment

I don't have a bar for the trem, but I've heard stories about the JT500... anything that can be done short of replacing it?
                  Don't use it or get used to being out of tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    Don't use it or get used to being out of tune.
                    For the record, chapstick works wonders on these shitty trems I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but it really does work GREAT.

Comment

And, once in a thousand hayrides, a piece falls off the wagon that just feels right.
                      If you like it, go for it.

But don't ask about something that doesn't have the the pedigree, and works for you...
                      Just play, and enjoy!

Comment

So I decided to make a project out of it. Replaced the crap JT-500 with a Schaller-made JT-590, swapped out the pivot posts. Pulled all the wiring, replaced the jack and switch with Switchcraft, the pot with CTS.

I shielded the control and pickup cavities with copper tape and solder. I replaced the unbranded Armstrong pups with Seymour Duncan SH2N (Jazz) and SH6B (Distortion).

It fucking screams now

Also, based on some research, I think this is actually a JK20 Pro, the Musician's Friend one, made in India or somesuch. There's nothing stamped in the heel pocket, just some markings on the neck itself that don't look like Latin letters. Just because I know you guys love testing your ID skills.

Comment

You turd polisher you

Congrats! What amp does it scream through?

Another kennslp school of photography graduate!

Comment

Currently only doing modeling with a Line 6 Toneport, usually a dual recto or marshall lead model. Those things are bad ass for recording, I might add.

I have to get my buddy to ship my amp to me from AK, which is a Mesa Trem-o-Verb combo.

And Blackberries take decent pictures, for phones! :P

Comment

Yeah, I agree that its the mf model. I have that same body in that same color with a ps4 neck on it. Nice cheap Kelly.

Comment

Working...
                              X