I bought my first import Jackson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought my first import Jackson...

Well after months of thinking about it I finally went ahead and bought an SLSMG today. No pics as yet, gotta wait until it reaches this side of the pond. It's gloss black, ebony board with the EMG 81/85 combo... can't wait!

I need a non trem guitar so that I can arse around with non standard tunings, so this looks to be the ideal guitar. I really didn't want to have to buy anything other than a Jackson/Charvel for this...shallow, I know, but I suddenly realised just how strong my loyalty is to the brand. Loads of other decent, often cheaper alternatives to JC, but my heart wasn't in it.

I do believe however that I now have to start searching for decent machine heads, switch, pots and a bridge for it...is this really the case?

Congrats. You made a great choice. I think you will be able to live with the stock components for awhile.
    RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
    CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
    Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
    Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Yea they are really nice guitars well done!!

Comment

I love my SLSMG! Gloss black, had some of the black DR (I think) strings on it and they looked really cool, till the black wore out in places. I thought I'd want locking tuners and a graphite nut, but it stays in tune pretty well with the stock hardware. I probably will get a set of the Planet Waves locking tuners though cause it's a cheap, easy upgrade. If you palm mute a lot with your hand on the bridge the black will wear off the saddles (and other main part of the bridge) pretty quick though. I wonder if this will happen with a tone pro's locking black bridge (with the graphite saddles)? Anyway, I'm rambling, but this guitar really does play nice. It's my first neck through and the access up high on the frett board is unbeatable. Please let us know if you do any of the upgrades what you think.

Karl

Comment

Hmmmm....nice choice!
          Reminds me of the DK I just got:

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
            Well after months of thinking about it I finally went ahead and bought an SLSMG today. No pics as yet, gotta wait until it reaches this side of the pond. It's gloss black, ebony board with the EMG 81/85 combo... can't wait!

I need a non trem guitar so that I can arse around with non standard tunings, so this looks to be the ideal guitar. I really didn't want to have to buy anything other than a Jackson/Charvel for this...shallow, I know, but I suddenly realised just how strong my loyalty is to the brand. Loads of other decent, often cheaper alternatives to JC, but my heart wasn't in it.

I do believe however that I now have to start searching for decent machine heads, switch, pots and a bridge for it...is this really the case?
            the same case with me.

I'm very pleased with mine, except for tuning stability, for some reason it quickly goes out of tune, maybe i'm missing something ?!

Comment

I love SLSMGs...congrats!

Comment

Well my SLSMG is in UK customs now, probably leaning up against a radiator or propping open a furnace door. I've ordered all gold hardware (everything excluding the pickups) from Warmoth and I've found a screw driver down the back of my couch that looks like it won't round off the screw heads...it'll be in bits before the postman has left my fucking gate open again...

Comment

hey my ups guy won't open the gate, he just puts my guitars with the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by memphiskat View Post
                    I love my SLSMG! Gloss black, had some of the black DR (I think) strings on it and they looked really cool, till the black wore out in places. I thought I'd want locking tuners and a graphite nut, but it stays in tune pretty well with the stock hardware. I probably will get a set of the Planet Waves locking tuners though cause it's a cheap, easy upgrade. If you palm mute a lot with your hand on the bridge the black will wear off the saddles (and other main part of the bridge) pretty quick though. I wonder if this will happen with a tone pro's locking black bridge (with the graphite saddles)? Anyway, I'm rambling, but this guitar really does play nice. It's my first neck through and the access up high on the frett board is unbeatable. Please let us know if you do any of the upgrades what you think.

Karl
                    Same for my DK2T....the black is wearing off, but who would notice it while you're playing it?
                    Tuning stability is good...but not great...however, having the string-thru is worth it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                      Well my SLSMG is in UK customs now, probably leaning up against a radiator or propping open a furnace door. I've ordered all gold hardware (everything excluding the pickups) from Warmoth and I've found a screw driver down the back of my couch that looks like it won't round off the screw heads...it'll be in bits before the postman has left my fucking gate open again...
                      Hence my new score was insured and placed inside an official Jackson case (body hugging interior) with bubblewrap around the headstock and over the peripherals space. The case might take a dent or two like mine did, but your guitar should escape unscathed. Give it another couple days or so, and Parcelforce should be sending you a "Pay customs and VAT fees" letter. Then you can pay it, and they give you the option to pick it up or they courior it to your door the next day. The delivery is free. Hope this helps. Oh, and remember to post pix (and wind everyone up with pre-package photos! ).
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I love mine, Jazz and JB in it (replaced the EMG HZ's, not a huge fan of the buzz from any EMG for that matter) Very nice stuff. No tuning issues to speak of that I wouldnt get from any other guitar... I have a habit of bending the shit out of my strings, so a little fluctuation is expected.

Enjoy!
                        www.myspace.com/madeaband
                        www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Originally posted by tseegert View Post
                          I love mine, Jazz and JB in it (replaced the EMG HZ's, not a huge fan of the buzz from any EMG for that matter) Very nice stuff. No tuning issues to speak of that I wouldnt get from any other guitar... I have a habit of bending the shit out of my strings, so a little fluctuation is expected.

Enjoy!
                          Same here and same here! Cept the jb left for a dimebucker which left for a distortion. No real tuning dramas, solid guitar. I'd still like a fancy bridge and graph/brass/whatever nut for it. And locking tuners. Christ its fast stock though...

Comment

How does the distortion fare in that anyways? I was thinking about giving one a go in mine. My brother has a Dimebucker in his Dean, and I cant say I was very impressed with it.
                            www.myspace.com/madeaband
                            www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Are we there yet?....
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X