DKMG hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMG hardware

I was just wondering if anyone could telll me how good the hardware/electronics are in these DKMG or is it something Iam gonna have to replace soon?Thanks!

I have a pre 2006 DKMG. Since then they've upgraded the JT580 trem and it should be fine. They now come with active EMGs - 81/85 (mine had the passive hz's and I purchased and installed 81/85s at my own cost). They are in my opinion great pickups. You'll find vastly different opinions on that one though :-) But if you're not into the EMGs there's really no reason to buy this one, you'd be better off with a DK2(M) with Seymour Duncan HSS or HH. So yes, if you like the EMGs, these are Excellent guitars and I wouldn't imagine the need to change any of the electronics or hardware.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by memphiskat View Post
      I have a pre 2006 DKMG. Since then they've upgraded the JT580 trem and it should be fine. They now come with active EMGs - 81/85 (mine had the passive hz's and I purchased and installed 81/85s at my own cost). They are in my opinion great pickups. You'll find vastly different opinions on that one though :-) But if you're not into the EMGs there's really no reason to buy this one, you'd be better off with a DK2(M) with Seymour Duncan HSS or HH. So yes, if you like the EMGs, these are Excellent guitars and I wouldn't imagine the need to change any of the electronics or hardware.

Karl
      Thanks bro!I actually did buy the DKMG w/Emg 81/85 and Iam going to upgrade the trem to a OFR,I was just wondering about the pots,switches etc how good they were.Thanks!

Comment

DUH! Didn't look down the posts far enough and answered this one before the I saw the first one. Well let us know if you notice a significant difference when you change the trems. The OFR vs 580 debate here is endless :-) Mine tends not to return exactly to zero when checked with a digital tuner. I've checked a couple of OFRs though on other guitars, and they too didn't return to exactly zero either when checked with a tuner :-) Glad you like your DKMG.

Karl

Comment

No problem!I might wait a little bit on changing the trem.Iam sure the strings are stretching now.Iam not sure what brand strings on her?I was reading an article about floyd rose style trems and they were saying that Ghs and slinkys are good strings for FR trems.

Comment

DUH! Didn't look down the posts far enough and answered this one before the I saw the first one. Well let us know if you notice a significant difference when you change the trems. The OFR vs 580 debate here is endless :-) Mine tends not to return exactly to zero when checked with a digital tuner. I've checked a couple of OFRs though on other guitars, and they too didn't return to exactly zero either when checked with a tuner :-) Glad you like your DKMG.

Karl
            Have you had any problems with the switches,pots,jacks,tuners or wiring since you owned yours?Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude View Post
              Have you had any problems with the switches,pots,jacks,tuners or wiring since you owned yours?Thanks!
              When I changed out the Hz's for the actives the pots and jack had to be changed, but no, not since replacing them with EMG supplied ones. They have held up fine. I changed the switch at the same time since everything else was being resoldered. The tuners are not a big concern with the double locking trem so no problem with those either. Karl

Comment

I have a pre 2006 DKMG. Since then they've upgraded the JT580 trem and it should be fine.

Wrong.
                Only the pro series has the upgraded trem. The MG series has the same trem as before. - This has been confirmed by Jackson reps.

Edit: The JT580LP is a decent trem IMO - holds the tuning well enough if it's in good condition. The baseplate on the MG/X/JS series isn't hardned steel, which will make it wear out eventually - and DON'T adjust the bridge height while the guitar is strung up and tuned to pitch!
                Last edited by Sunbane; 02-23-2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post

Wrong.
                  Only the pro series has the upgraded trem. The MG series has the same trem as before. - This has been confirmed by Jackson reps.

Edit: The JT580LP is a decent trem IMO - holds the tuning well enough if it's in good condition. The baseplate on the MG/X/JS series isn't hardned steel, which will make it wear out eventually - and DON'T adjust the bridge height while the guitar is strung up and tuned to pitch!
                  Wow, I didn't know this. I remember when this whole upgrade thing was going on with the switch to "real" SD pickups, active EMGs, and the upgraded trem and I didn't realize the MG series didn't get the new trem. Are you sure thats not just for the DXMG, which lists for a lot less that the other guitars in the MG series? I thought that the DXMG didn't get the new trem and active EMGs, but the others, including the D"K"MG got the actives AND the new trem. If not, I'm suprised since a standard DK2 lists for less than a standard DKMG (I know a DKMG has active EMGs and neck binding, but still.....) Won't be the first, and damn sure won't be the last time I've been wrong ..............

Comment

my volume pot went dead after the first year

Comment

Are you sure thats not just for the DXMG, which lists for a lot less that the other guitars in the MG series?
                      If I remember correctly, it was confirmed by John Walker (before he left for FMIC) that only the Pro Series had the upgraded trem. I can't find the thread now though.

Comment

I've been looking all over for John's post with the clarification about the trems. I've even gone through all his posts from mid 2006 up 'til now, and I still can't find it. I suspect it was deleted along with the "Ask Jackson" section. All that remain now, are threads that give no clear indication as to which guitars recieved the baseplate upgrade.

I distincly remember John stating the the trem upgrade was for the Pro-series only, but now that the thread is gone, we have no way of verifying it. Maybe we could get Brian in here to give us the lowdown on the upgraded trem?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post

Wrong.

Exactly. Doing this may cause wear edges of tremolo.
                          Dinky XL '96 - always stay in tune

Comment

Working...
                          X