New forum member with DXMG questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
    Was it ever explained as to why the X Series went from alder to basswood? Cost-cutting? The retail price is still the same as it was 3 years+ ago. I don't seem to remember anyone asking for it.
    I guess dxmg is from the MG series (x series don't have binding as well as Emgs) and the aim was to make the line between MG series and the pro series thicker. I mean they were not really differentiable and there has been discussions about whether the MG series or pro series are better. Now that pro series have the upgraded trem as well and it's a bit more clear
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

THe last two that came into my local shop have had thick necks, one was setup OK, the other is setup like crap.

Neither one compares to my "old" alder DXMG.

Comment

New DXMG's have thicker necks that DK2/DKMG or former Pro's. DXMG has .775" at nut & .880" at 12th fret. In DK2 there's .735" at nut and .810 at 12th fret. More chunky. So old Dinkies had .680" @ nut and .800 @ 12th fret.

Maybe they use worse wood for necks?
        Dinky XL '96 - always stay in tune

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM.
          Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
            I've been playing my dxmg and I'm finding that I actually like the sound of the emg-hz for rhythm, better than the jb or the gfs power rails. I'm thinking of getting a dk2 neck and putting that on the dxmg.
            Good idea. A neck from DKMG with reverse head will be suitable too.
            Last edited by wilczywilk; 03-10-2008, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilczywilk View Post
              Good idea. A neck from DKMG with reverse head will be suitable too.
              Get a DK body, while it's apart.

Comment

I've always wondered why Jackson didn't make two humbuckers DK2 with rosewood fretboard. As old Dinky XL for example.

Comment

I had a JDR in the late 90s that I STILL kick myself for selling. Then again, I kick myself every time I sell one of my Jacksons. I tried to make up for it by buying a PS4. It was almost identical to my JDR. The only difference was the finish is a little fancier on the PS4. Unfortunately, it was stolen before I really had a chance to bond with it in any way.
                  Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
                    I had a JDR in the late 90s that I STILL kick myself for selling. Then again, I kick myself every time I sell one of my Jacksons. I tried to make up for it by buying a PS4. It was almost identical to my JDR. The only difference was the finish is a little fancier on the PS4. Unfortunately, it was stolen before I really had a chance to bond with it in any way.
                    I'd be curious Robert to hear more about your experience with the PS4 and how it compare to the JDR in terms of playability. With the DX going back today I'm considering a PS as my next project. I know the pickups and hardware are generally pretty poor-for me the JDR is a blast to play and with the EMG's sounds great.

Comment

Working...
                    X