Picked up a KVX10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a KVX10

After being Jackson-less for far too long, I snagged a black KVX10 yesterday. The serial is seven digit and begins with 9669, which from what I've read here makes it a 2003. It's damn near perfect condition, having spent most of its life in its case. It's a Japan built model with an alder body.

Any suggestions on replacement pickups? The Duncan Designed pups, at least the bridge pickup, are a bit muddy for my tastes. Should I go all out and swap in a set of EMGs or is there a passive that works well in these?
    Last edited by Gank; 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM.
    Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Me I would go for the EMGs.

Comment

I've always been partial to the sound of the JB, but haven't played a KV with one.
      Scott

Comment

If the early KVX10s were alder, then I'd suggest a Duncan Full Shred in the bridge, or in both positions if you want to replace the neck pickup too. The FS is great in alder, basically having all the strengths of the JB but with a tighter low end.
        sigpic

Comment

I have a 2003 KVX10 as well, in amber sunburst.
          I replaced the bridge pickup with a Duncan Distortion, as I liked the sound of the Duncan Designed stock pickup, but not the muddiness. The Duncan Designed HB103 (or what it is called) is the DD equivalent of the Duncan Distortion, and it worked really well. The real Seymour is much clearer and tighter. I'm very happy with it in my KVX10.
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I have a black one. Great guitars. Great neck!
            I put in an 81/81 set with 18v mod. Very meddle :-)
            Can't go wrong with these....

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Just got done moving the strap button to the neck bolt and wow, what a difference two inches makes. This is my first V, and while awkward at first, it's a blast to play. I'll get some pics as soon as I can get some decent natural light.
              Your friendly neighborhood import whore :: '08 DK2M, '08 DKMG, '03 KVX10, '94 Dinky Rev.

Comment

I got a brand new KVX10 recently, the Cobalt Blue Swirl finnish. I quite like the Duncan Designed pups in there, but I'm gonna go for a set of Livewires, I prefer Seymour's pickups to EMG's.

Memphiskat, I like the chrome pickup bezels on your KV, looks very nice.
                Gear--
                Jackson KVX10 Cobalt Blue Swirl
                Wesley Tartatus V Black
                Marshall MG30fx
                Digitech Delay
                Digitech Heavy Metal
                Digitech Wah Pedal

Comment

Congratz on the new guitar!!!

How about a Dimarzio ToneZone? I put one in my cheap JS30 Kelly and I'm quite happy with
                  how it sounds through my marshall DSL50.
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                  X