intro and question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intro and question

long story short my name is bill and im a jacksoholic. i purchased my first jackson in 1993. (this is absolutely true, and sad). my cousins friend owned a music shop and i used to go in and play this soloist every week. complete waynes world. i couldn't afford $1,800.00 so i couldn't buy it. well after 2 months i went in and it was gone. turns out his partner was embezling funds and the owner decided to sell everything off. he sold the neck off the soloist and offered me the body with all electronics, hard case, and even the strings were still hanging off of it for $20.00. YES $20.00 and i bought it. lent it to a friend who applied a neck .............. THEN MOVED AWAY!!!!! . anyway i now have a dinky professional rev and can't tell what year it is, the plate number is 403667 which seemed strange for a japan model and under the neck just says dk-rv (dinky rev obviously) then 1-2. what gives? if i use the first 2 numbers rule i have the absolute first dinky rev made in 1940 :ROTF:. any ideas would be helpful also what do you guys think of the j80c pickup?

That guy was brutal if he sawed the neck off the soloist and sold you the carcass. (You had a fusion or dinky or sumthin)

Welcome!

Comment

aron i think you may be right according to my buddy neil (who was the garth to my wayne) it was a fusion pro. i can't explain the high price though, i didn't think the fusions went over around $1,400 at the time, and it definately had a bolt on neck.

Comment

I am confused..

If he was willing to sell the body for $20,,why wouldn't he just sell the entire thing for like $200? Was it a USA soloist? That guitar is neck through body..You can't take the neck off..

Comment

ok i knew i was going to have to explain this more so here goes. the guy who owned the store (dave) was a friend of my cousin. we used to go into his shop once or twice a week when we lived together to shoot the shit. anyway dave had a "silent" partner who as it turns out was embezeling funds from the business. once dave found out that everything was hitting the fan he decided to close up shop. apparently this partner had found a buyer for the jackson. (the jackson was the most expensive guitar in the store at the time) just to piss off his partner, dave decided to part it out (hence the missing neck) and sell off the remaining inventory at rediculously low prices. when i got there the jackson body was hidden under the stage (presumibly so his partner wouldn't find it) and when i asked dave what happened to it and why half the store was gone he filled me in on the details. anyway knowing how much i loved it and since he no longer cared he asked me if i'd give him $20.00 for what was left. i was 17 at the time and apparently i was wrong about the model since jacson doesn't seem to have made a bolt on neck soloist, which brings me back to the question of what jackson with a bolt on neck could have retailed for that price??

Comment

Could be a DK 2 if it was a USA guitar.Serial number would have been a 4 digit number so we know it was an imoprt dinky body you ended up with.
            The J-80C is a distortion class pickup and a very JB like tone wise.I like the J80C a lot.
            Last edited by straycat; 03-27-2008, 09:46 PM.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Could be a DK 2 if it was a USA guitar.Serial number would have been a 4 digit number so we know it was an imoprt dinky body you ended up with.
              The J-80C is a distortion class pickup and a very JB like tone wise.I like the J80C a lot.
              DK2s are Japanese. Might've been a DK1. Or it could have been a US Fusion. Got any specs on the body? Do you remember if there was anything written in the neck pocket?
              Hail yesterday

Comment

If it was a Fusion, it would have been next to impossible to find a neck for it anyway.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Smells, sounds, and feels like shit to me...
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Okay, as has been pointed out, it wasn't a Soloist, since they're all neck-thru.

As to your current guitar, the import serial numbers don't have the date in them, so we'll have to wait for Ron to get here to perhaps give some year info. I believe the Dinky Professional was around in the early-mid '90s, like '94 or so.
                    Scott

Comment

i dont remember a whole lot about the specs other then it was white, had shark fins, and the obvious bolt on neck. i feel like an ass, all this time i was positive it was a soloist. that guitar really did it for me because i have short fat fingers and the thin neck felt great. ive since obtained a guitar call the "infinity" by the jtg company. it has a thinner neck then the jackson and is light as hell. i know the guitarist from nuclear assault used one. other then that i can't find much info on it. this latest guitar is the dinky i recently bought on ebay. it's a dinky reverse. ive pulled it apart to refinish it, bought a normal neck off ebay and ill be working on it shortly. anyone looking for reverse neck with a worn down fretboard? lol since ive obviously never handled a soloist thats going to be next on my agenda.

Comment

I used to have a blue USA fusion. It was beaten to hell, and it was my gigging guitar when I was 16- 17 years old.

I actually though that it was a USA dinky until I joined this forum a few months ago and saw some picture of other Fusions.

The difference was that in the 90's there was no internet for me to gawk at...

I stupidly sold if to help with tuition in the early 2000's.

Comment

Hello & Welcome to the Forum! I have combed the Jackson site and been unable to find info to inquire about my serial # 9732773, bound neck, chrome hardware, Duncan Designed pickups & licensed Floyd. I am wanting to know the year it was made/where? I have looked this this forum till my eyes are bloodshot, but cannot find where to ID this #. Thanks!

Comment

It was made in Japan. A few member can estimate when it was made or you can take off the neck and it will say on the heal of the neck and neck pocket on the body. It is at least a few years old since the DK2s now come with real duncans.

Comment

Evilbayer said it was around 3 yrs old. Haven't taken the neck off yet as it has the Floyd and I am frankly scared I will screw up something. Its gotta be done, since the strings are CRAP. Can I take them all off or one by one as every Youtube video shows?

Comment

Working...
                              X