Paint the neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint the neck

Hey there. I've always liked guitars with painted necks, ala neck throughs. Mine is a DK2, and I'm actuallyhaving some problems with the neck as mentioned in other thread but that's something else.

As you know, this neck comes in "natural" wood color, but I'd like it painted. What do you recommend? Or do you, indeed, recommend that I leave it as it is and wait for my next guitar?

If it's an oiled neck, it would be difficult to get a clearcoat on it, I think.
    I have one with an oiled neck, and if you buff it enough, it's as smooth as a satin paint finish. Polish it with some 000 steel wool for a while and see if you like it better.
    Fine Scotchbrite works, also, without leaving a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by FM Piotr View Post
      As you know, this neck comes in "natural" wood color, but I'd like it painted. What do you recommend? Or do you, indeed, recommend that I leave it as it is and wait for my next guitar?
      Actually if it's stock, it's got the same clear coat over it that paint would have, unless you're after a nitro clear finish?
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by FM Piotr View Post
        Mine is a DK2
        It should have a matte satin finish on it already. You can try buffing it out to a higher gloss.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was thinking it would have had a clearcoat already, but who knows?
          As noted above, it it already has a satin clear on it, a very light polishing compund
          will bring it to the smoothnes of a painted neck. I recommend Nu-finish, or McGuire's high gloss polishing compounds. No waxes, of course.

Comment

Working...
          X