Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL3...but with no hotrails?

Hi Guys
    Just wondered if you could help me out here. I just bought a Soloist on ebay which apparently was bought in USA but im certain it's a Japanese SL3 (transparent red) with matching headstock, neck-thru etc - but the thing that's throwing me in identifying it exactly yearwise is that it has HSS but they are all seymour duncans (1 Humbucker, 2 single coil), not Jacksons pups or Hot rails as on the newer ones.

What model of soloist has 2 single coil SD's and 1 SD Humbucker? There is no "Made in USA" on the headstock and it has a Jackson Licensed Flloyd rose.

I've searched the scans but i cannot find it.

Thanks in advance.

its from japan

Comment

Presumably then an SL3?
      Given that it hasn't got hot rails but SD single coils - any guess on the year?

Comment

Licensed trem means it's an older SL3... current ones have a real Floyd on them.
        previous owner most likely swapped out the pickups.
        -Rick

Comment

I saw that one on ebay.
          Its an SL3 alright.

The only thing that is unusual is that it had black hardware, yes? The SL3 is usually chrome.
          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

The new ones have black hardware and real Floyd Rose trems.
            The older ones have Chrome hardware and a JT-580LP trem.
            Both came with real SD pickups.

OLD:

NEW:
            -Rick

Comment

The main site says the latest SL3 has an FRT-02000 not an OFR (unless it's supposed to be the same thing). It does have real Seymour Duncan pups (no hotrails), and still has a rosewood fretboard and no binding.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                The main site says the latest SL3 has an FRT-02000 not an OFR (unless it's supposed to be the same thing). It does have real Seymour Duncan pups (no hotrails), and still has a rosewood fretboard and no binding.
                FRT-02000 is the model number for a Floyd Rose trem.
                There are two types of Floyd Rose "Original" trems.
                Those that are made in Germany by Schaller and those that are made in China under contract by Floyd Rose. They don't say "Licensed under bla bla bla" as they are manufactured for Floyd Rose, but they are inferior to the Schaller made trems.
                I've never seen the Floyd that is used on the SL3, so I can't say which version it is.
                If someone has one, look for the "Made in Germany" stamp on it.

SL1 spec says " Floyd Rose® Original™ Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo"
                SL3 spec says " Floyd Rose® FRT-O2000 Tremolo"

You make the call as to which version it is.
                Last edited by rjohnstone; 04-04-2008, 01:42 PM.
                -Rick

Comment

Looking on Floyd Rose's website, they offer three models of the OFR: the FRT-100, FRT-200, and FRT-300. The only difference is color - chrome, black, and gold respectively.

With that said, the OP's SL3 was made before 2006, when they switched to using Floyds instead of licensed trems. As far as the pickups, I thought they always came with Hot Rails, so the owner may have swapped them. Definitely Duncans though.
                  Scott

Comment

Presumably it's still a good guitar tho for £300....

Comment

Hot Rails ARE Duncans..... What's the problem?

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

It's an SL3.
                      For £300 you got a fucking bargain. I have one I got for £500 and THAT was a bargain, it's a great guitar.
                      Last edited by MartinBarre; 04-04-2008, 04:56 PM.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Daywalker View Post
                        Presumably it's still a good guitar tho for £300....

Absofuckinglutely. I was going to go for it myself but I snaffled a Model 6 instead.
                        All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

No problem at all - yer sorry the rails are SD's i just meant i couldnt find an SL3 with no hotrails...but as people have said they were probably swapped out.

I just like to know that a guitar is a particularly model....the more unchanged the better. When guitars turn up with non-stock pickups i start to get nervous but i think this ones a good one.

6 months ago i snagged an immaculate blue swirl DKMG (18 months old) for £270.
                          I feel that was probably even more of a bargain but it was a sunny bank holiday and no-one would have been inside at their PC's!

Comment

There's been a shop trying to sell an older version SL3 on eBay for a while - it has a ding on it too, and they're looking for £600 IIRC!
                            So yeah, you got a bargain.

I'd be interested to know what pups you have in yours too. Post some pics eh? How do they sound?
                            I love the Hotrails in mine, they work with the JB to perfection. Do your single coils match, volume wise, and have similar kind of gain as the bridge pup?
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

i just checked my 07 SL3's floyd and it doesnt say made in germany. Its holding up quite well compared to my german floyd so I personally wouldnt call it inferior but I guess time will tell

Comment

Working...
                              X