Jackson Stars: Semi Custom vs Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Stars: Semi Custom vs Custom

Hello. I used the Search tool and learned a lot about Jackson Stars guitars. I'm really interested in buying one. I'm a little confused about the concept of Semi Custom guitars. What specs can you change within the "Semi custom" line? And how do Custom and Semi Custom compare in price?

When I click the Jackson Stars Custom link I just get this little pop up window in Japanese

I basically want to get THIS guitar in a different color

Last edited by Deadlock; 04-06-2008, 10:50 AM.

Jackson Stars stopped taking Custom and Semi-Custom orders in October '07 when the sales agent changed. Late last year they told a fellow JCFer from Japan that they would start taking them again this summer ('08). Let's wait and see.

Incidentally, if you stick the URL of that notice into Babelfish, this is what you get:
    "≪JacksonStars® Custom Order System ≫Attendant upon the modification of the domestic sales agency, truly the selfishness JacksonStars®
    Custom orderand semi custom order stop.
    Acknowledgement."

Pretty much says it all.
    Last edited by ken; 04-06-2008, 11:07 AM.

Comment

On mine I thought it was a semi-custom but it ended up being a custom. I had the nut width changed (which is probably why it was a custom) and the inlays reversed. I am not sure what else (actually I don't think I had anything else done) Snow White Rhoads. I like it a lot.

I'm not sure if anyone has the lists yet for what can be changed or not, I thought someone had and I pm'd them but never got a copy so.. not sure.

It'll be a few more months before they take orders which sucks, but for me is kind of a good thing because I'm still deciding on whats next and saving for it. Also I'm waiting for the US dollar to be worth more then toilet paper again.
      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        Jackson Stars stopped taking Custom and Semi-Custom orders in October '07 when the sales agent changed.
        Oh shit

Comment

Originally posted by Deadlock View Post
          Oh shit
          Tell me about it. I missed having a second J. Stars built because I dawdled for a couple of days.

Their production guitar prices have taken a hike since the changeover, so even if/when the custom/semi-custom thing comes back, it's bound to be more expensive.

As far as I can determine, there was no real difference between Custom and Semi-Custom. They don't seem to have full custom (build you anything you want) facilities. One of the members here translated the old, old list prices for semi-custom changes:

http://autumn-frost.com/jcf/JS-SCOS1.jpg
          http://autumn-frost.com/jcf/JS-SCOS2.jpg

We treated them as indicative of what they were willing to do. For example, having a guitar be 1-hum wasn't on that list, but was quoted to me as being a no-cost option. Another example is that they wouldn't do a non-reccessed Floyd for Nazgul.

The easiest thing was to write an itemized list of what you wanted in terms of a modified production (or ex-production) guitar, send it to a dealer and then see what they were willing to do and what they weren't. E.g., they never had 7 string guitars on the J. Stars list, but did two limited runs. That's what I based my Kelly on and none of my options were a problem. It was quoted as a semi-custom guitar, but by the time they were building it, they started calling it a custom. It didn't make a difference to the price.

Happy days.

Comment

So if it was semi-custom, it would say "KE7 SEMI-CUSTOM" on that tag?

Comment

It alway says "custom" as soon as you changed only one little spec

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                So if it was semi-custom, it would say "KE7 SEMI-CUSTOM" on that tag?
                If it were Semi Custom it would, I believe. Someone posted a tag which stated Semi-Custom. With the KE7 I think it's automatically a custom. Anything where they have to make a change to wood size etc. But that's only a guess

Comment

Any chance you can find that picture eakinj?

I'd have said the same thing as The Mitch, based on a sample of ooh, maybe six or seven guitars us JCFers have bought! Not particularly scientific, in other words, but that's what I'd have guessed.

The Mitch's guitar only had a couple of small changes and, based on his post, I presume it too was a "Custom". I don't see that it matters...
                  Last edited by ken; 04-07-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I'll have to look when I get home, a lot of the places that host pictures is blocked through my works firewall. I'd just assume The Mitch is right, and if I find it I'll post it.

Comment

The tag for my semi-custom RRJ1B said "Custom" as well.
                      Only changes to the production model were mahogany body, matching headstock and transgreen finish. All semi-custom changes according to the list, and the TG finish seemed to be a no cost option.
                      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

The tag on my semi-custom Soloist says "SL-J1 Custom" too.
                        Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                          Late last year they told a fellow JCFer from Japan that they would start taking them again this summer ('08). Let's wait and see.
                          I really hope they come through for us. I've got a few guitars I'm going to sell soon and I'm GASing hardcore for a Warrior with the old 3 slanted pickups setup.

How much did your 7 string kelly cost?
                          Last edited by Deadlock; 04-08-2008, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I really hope they come through for us. I've got a few guitars I'm going to sell soon and I'm GASing hardcore for a Warrior with the old 3 slanted pickups setup.
                            Given how weak the US dollar is right now and assuming there'll be a price hike with Stars, you'd probably be better off ordering a CS guitar from Jackson.

Now, stop putting ideas in my head.

How much did your 7 string kelly cost?
                            I'll PM you, as not posting final prices is a forum rule, in case the dealer gets into trouble with the manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                            X