DK2 Sustain issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2 Sustain issues

I have a new DK2 with the real Duncans in it. It doesn't seem to sustain very well. I've restrung it, but it's still unimpressive. In comparison I have a RR3R with an SH-6 in the bridge that sustains really well.

I'm just curious if anyone thinks this could be the pickup? Anyone else had this issue? I did a search but didn't really find anything on it. I am thinking about changing to an SH-6 in the DK2 as well, but if that isn't the likely suspect I'd rather deal with that issue first.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Is it setup correctly?
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Is the pup set too high?

Comment

Everything is setup fine. I'll have to measure how high the pickup is. I hadn't thought about that. I may just adjust it down some and see how that works.

Comment

PUPs height is part of being setup correctly.....

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
            PUPs height is part of being setup correctly.....
            Well I would hope that since this guitar came from Jackson and I am the only owner of it and it was in the box when I got it that it *should* be setup correctly. everything else is, bridge, intentation(which I believe I spelled wrong) no fret buzz and all that good stuff. New strings.

I'm thinking the pickup may just be either bad or not wired up really solid. I'm going to check the pickup and see if I can find any obvious issues with sodering, otherwise I think I'll just rip it out and put in the SH-6.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post

I'm thinking the pickup may just be either bad or not wired up really solid. .
              This sentence contradicts your first paragraph. :P

Those guitars are mass produced and pushed out the door as fast as possible. The factory most likely plugs the guitar in strums it and if it makes sound its good to go. So I would check everything on the guitar.

Does the guitar sound fine all other times?
              Last edited by JetFixxxer; 04-06-2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Oh one other thing, I can't get harmonics off this thing to save my life. (I guess pinch harmonics?) Any possibility that it's the bridge? If it were the pickup it doesn't seem like the string would physically stop moving.

I don't have a ruler handy so I just used a piece of card and the pickup looks to be the exact distence from the strings as my Rhoads and my E Es Pee. I only checked on the 24 fret guitars though I dont' know that it matters.

I may be compairing apples to oranges as far as sustain too, this is the only guitar I have with this model SD pickups so, I may be expecting something the pickup isn't really designed for. But it still seems like those strings go dead quick. Even after changing them again a day ago.

Comment

If you finger the last fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the string to the top of the HB Pole. There isn't any right or wrong distance but I keep my around 3/32" on the bass side and a little higher on the treble. It comes down to what sounds the best to you.

Also if you change strings and use a different gauge string. You change your intonation..
                  Last edited by JetFixxxer; 04-06-2008, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
                    This sentence contradicts your first paragraph. :P

Those guitars are mass produced and pushed out the door as fast as possible. The factory most likely plugs the guitar in strums it and if it makes sound its good to go. So I would check everything on the guitar.

Does the guitar sound fine all other times?
                    yeah I think I've gotten frustrated enough from this that I'm confusing myself.

I'm letting it go for tonight, I'll take a deep breath tomorrow and check the sodering.

As for the sentence and paragraph.. yeah.. I keep forgetting import pushed out the door. My fear is it's sodering because I don't know that i could spot it if it is. If it's something with the pickup that's great, that's an easy fix, I was just curious if anyone ran into issues and could say "Oh yeah, that happen on mine, it was just bad wiring" ya know?

I need to leave it alone for now, I've got 16 other guitars I can be playing

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                      yeah I think I've gotten frustrated enough from this that I'm confusing myself.

I'm letting it go for tonight, I'll take a deep breath tomorrow and check the sodering.

As for the sentence and paragraph.. yeah.. I keep forgetting import pushed out the door. My fear is it's sodering because I don't know that i could spot it if it is. If it's something with the pickup that's great, that's an easy fix, I was just curious if anyone ran into issues and could say "Oh yeah, that happen on mine, it was just bad wiring" ya know?

I need to leave it alone for now, I've got 16 other guitars I can be playing
                      Ya but that is the fun part of owning a guitar... Tweaking it until you find the sweet spot.

Comment

I've heard of people welding metal to the floyd to improve sustain.

Comment

Try playing it unplugged. If it sounds the same, then it's the guitar. If it sounds better, it's the electronics.
                          Scott

Comment

^good point....although hearing clean pinch harmonics is a bit harder..

Comment

If the pup is set just a bit too high, it will affect both sustain and harmonics.
                              Even if it is unplugged. The magnetic field is there whether it's plugged in,or not.
                              Just lower the pup some, and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X