DK2 Sustain issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    If the pup is set just a bit too high, it will affect both sustain and harmonics.
    Even if it is unplugged. The magnetic field is there whether it's plugged in,or not.
    Just lower the pup some, and see if that makes a difference.
    Of course. I guess I was more after ruling out some wiring problems.
    Scott

Comment

Adj both pickups to where the have the best sound on the clean channel of your amp and get both to have about the same vol.Then adj the pole pieces.
      Start with the neck pickup pluck the big E string open and listen.If the note decays quickly adj the pole piece closer to the string it should take longer to decay as you adj up.
      When you can hear the note sustain or "bloom" thats what you want.
      Do that for each string and each pickup and you should be good to go.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It sounds to me like you just need a good setup. Unless you're hearing crackling, a weak signal, cutting out, ect. when its plugged in then its probably nothing "electronic".
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

Yeah, I agree, it's probably in need of (even slight) setup. Mine, a DK2 also, had a similar issue, mostly with the single-coils, and adjusting height did the job; I still think it could have better sustain, but well, after all I was used to string-through bodies, plus a few other details. One thing though is that I think you must remove the pickup to adjust the pole pieces of the single coils no?

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
            But it still seems like those strings go dead quick.
            Makes me wonder if the nut-slots are cut wide enough. I had that problem with one string on my slsmg. Widened the slot and everything was fine. Well, there were other problems... but that's another story.
            Sam

Comment

I think the pickup/wiring is bad, it doesn't seem to do it all the time. I sat and played it for a bit and it was fine, then a little later the sustain will seem almost non existent.

Could this be an issue with the volume pot? There's no crackle when I adjust it.

I think at this point I'm just going to re-wire it. I was told that it might have been "Cold soldered".

I've never been thrilled by the pickup but I'm wondering if that all stems from it or the wiring being bad. At this point I may just buy all new pots and wiring for it. I was going to put a SH-6 in it because I have been some what disapointed by the sound of the pickup, but I think I'll rewire it and see if the JB sounds better to me now. Plus I'm pullin out the single coil in the center anyway so there'll need to be wiring done regardless.

Alright, thanks everyone for the help
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

The JBs a great pup, sustains fine in my SL3. I think maybe you need to look at new strings, nut, or bridge issues.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                  I was going to put a SH-6 in it because I have been some what disapointed by the sound of the pickup, but I think I'll rewire it and see if the JB sounds better to me now. Plus I'm pullin out the single coil in the center anyway so there'll need to be wiring done regardless.

Alright, thanks everyone for the help
                  This is the first place where you mention what type of pickup it is. If it is a JB, it should sustain very well (like in my SL2H). The SH-6 will add some grit and lower mids to the tone, but then the leads don't sound as nice.

Sounds like a good idea to check the wiring. Sad if it's not wired correctly from the factory.

Comment

Anything else affected besides the sustain? Any weak signal, sudden volume changes, anything like that ?
                    Guitars:
                    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                    X