No announcement yet.

My Kelly Project- I NEED your help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kelly Project- I NEED your help!!!!!

Hey everyone. I recently got a Jackson KX-10 Kelly for $200. Its in good shape. I want to re-do the pickups, trem, and tuners. Im not too familiar with Jacksons, thats why I came here. Here is what I envision it to be:

Dimarzio Super 3 in the bridge
    Dimarzio pickup in the neck (need help)
    Gold knobs
    Gold pickup rings
    Gold tuners (need help)
    Gold trem (need help)

So my question is where can I find a trem that is gold in color and will be a direct fit for this guitar? I have hear that Schaller trems are good, but what would you all suggest. Also, I need to know what tuners will fit they must also be gold in color. I have already found gold pickup rings and knobs at guitarfetish.com. Also, what Dimarzio pickup will complement the Super 3 in the bridge?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will keep you all up to date with pics when she is finished. Here are the "before" pics.

My Gear:

Charvel Model 4
    Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Roland Micro Cube RX

No luck with Ebay? There are shitloads of trems, pots, pickups etc. on there. That looks like a KE3. $200 is an absolute steal. Don't let RD know. He'll call the cops.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
      No luck with Ebay? There are shitloads of trems, pots, pickups etc. on there. That looks like a KE3. $200 is an absolute steal. Don't let RD know. He'll call the cops.
      Ebay isnt an option for me, dont have an account. I was thinking about using a Schaller trem but Im not sure if it will fit.
      My Gear:

Charvel Model 4
      Gibson Les Paul Studio
      Roland Micro Cube RX

Comment

I had an oddball like that. I believe they were made with old Performer series parts in Korea or Indonesia, but were X series guitars. I first thought it was a mutt actually... A Schaller will go right in as the JT500s were a direct copy of Schallers.

Comment

For pickups, why aren't you thinking about Duncans? A JB, Custom or Distortion would do great in the bridge, with a Jazz neck. Or, go the active route (not as hard as people think as I just found out) and get some Blackouts.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
            For pickups, why aren't you thinking about Duncans? A JB, Custom or Distortion would do great in the bridge, with a Jazz neck. Or, go the active route (not as hard as people think as I just found out) and get some Blackouts.
            Im a huge Def Leppard/Phil Collen fan so I want to get the Super 3 for the bridge pickup.
            My Gear:

Charvel Model 4
            Gibson Les Paul Studio
            Roland Micro Cube RX

Comment

Check the dimarzio site for recommendations ona neck pup with the super 3 Altho the Paf Pro is a usual choice. any Schaller or OFR will fit the trem posts. Tuners just get Gotoh gold tuners. They should be a direct replacement. You'll need a gold but too. Just make sure you get the right one. iirc It should be an R4 nut.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                Check the dimarzio site for recommendations ona neck pup with the super 3 Altho the Paf Pro is a usual choice. any Schaller or OFR will fit the trem posts. Tuners just get Gotoh gold tuners. They should be a direct replacement. You'll need a gold but too. Just make sure you get the right one. iirc It should be an R4 nut.
                Thanks a bunch!
                My Gear:

Charvel Model 4
                Gibson Les Paul Studio
                Roland Micro Cube RX

Comment

Originally posted by ESchmidt View Post
                  Im a huge Def Leppard/Phil Collen fan so I want to get the Super 3 for the bridge pickup.
                  Ah I see, fair enough, I'm a huge Leppard/Phil fan myself. I think you could get that tone, and plenty more with a JB, but yeah, if that's the pup you want then go for it!
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

And since you're completely rebuilding this thing, dont forget about he electronics. A CTS pot, switch craft switch, and some good wire will go a long way towards giving this the tone you want.
                    Guitars:
                    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                      And since you're completely rebuilding this thing, dont forget about he electronics. A CTS pot, switch craft switch, and some good wire will go a long way towards giving this the tone you want.
                      Thanks, Ill keep that in mind. I really want to get this thing playing and sounding great. Since I keep the volume on the guitar at 10 all the time, I will be using the 1 pot as a tone pot so I can roll the tone back on the neck pickup and get a nice smooth lead tone. Does anyone know if this will work?
                      Last edited by ESchmidt; 04-11-2008, 11:06 PM.
                      My Gear:

Charvel Model 4
                      Gibson Les Paul Studio
                      Roland Micro Cube RX

Comment

Originally posted by ESchmidt View Post
                        Since I keep the volume on the guitar at 10 all the time, I will be using the 1 pot as a tone pot so I can roll the tone back on the neck pickup and get a nice smooth lead tone. Does anyone know if this will work?
                        Sure that can be done, but it's kind of a hack thing to do to a guitar. If you absolutely need a tone knob, get a guitar with two knobs, or drill a hole for a second knob (my 10c anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                          Sure that can be done, but it's kind of a hack thing to do to a guitar. If you absolutely need a tone knob, get a guitar with two knobs, or drill a hole for a second knob (my 10c anyway)
                          Or a concentric pot will work too. Of course, You might find that a volume control will be infinitely more useful than a tone control. If you're going to leave it at 10 all the time and have no volume pot then you might want to consider a kill switch.

-Steve
                          Guitars:
                          '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                          '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                          '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                          Amp:
                          VOX AD30VT

Comment

that look like a KE-3 dude
                            don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
                            http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...597cebb139.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by usmc50bmgsniper92 View Post
                              that look like a KE-3 dude
                              The guy who sold it to me said it was a KX-10. This is my first Jackson so I wouldnt know the difference. Is there a place where I can find what serial numbers go with what guitars? There is no indication of model or where it was made on the guitar, just the serial number on the neck plate.
                              Last edited by ESchmidt; 04-12-2008, 01:29 PM.
                              My Gear:

Charvel Model 4
                              Gibson Les Paul Studio
                              Roland Micro Cube RX

Comment

Working...
                              X