Calling Floyd type trem users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Floyd type trem users...

Floating trem noob checkin in. :ROTF: of the 12 guitars I've owned and sold in my 5 years of playing, only 2 had floating trems. All I know about the floating trem on my Dk2M is that its a JT-580 or something like that. How can I make it

1) smoother to operate? Are there any different/better than stock springs that I can replace the stock ones with? I played on a XPT700 (ibeenhad) over the weekend and noticed that the trem arm moved much smooter than mine. I know that the edge III is the crappiest of 'em all. but still I liked how it played.

2) If I install heavier guage strings, do I need more springs at the back? I am using 10's with standard tuning but plan to de-tune 2.5 steps lower and will go for 12's.

3) I read somewhere that the ZR trem on the Ibanez's are amazing. Zero resistance! Can I replace the JT trem on the DK2M with one? Is it worth it? Or even possible? I dont want to re-route the guitar or something.

thanks
    Sam
    Sam

Springs on new guitars need to be stretched and worked in, just like strings do. More springs just adds to the tension of using the bar, but then so does tightening the claw. An extra pack of 3 springs can be had for like five bucks at GC. Play around with the configuration to find what suits you.

Me, I like four springs and a Hipshot Tremsetter, a device with a spring going the reverse direction which stiffens the action and maintains a stable "zero" position that the trem returns to every time. Some don't like how it kills the Brad Gillis "flutter" that a floating FR-type trem tends to have (especially with light guage strings and only two springs). I'm not a tremolo abuser, but I do love the FR/Tremsetter combo for its unparalleled tuning stability.

The Ibanez ZR trem is basically the same thing as adding a Tremsetter. Which, to me, makes it quite amazing. I've got one on a Saber model (S520EX) and I'd love to have one on an Iceman. The way it pivots, however, would make it highly unlikely you'll ever see one retrofitted to an FR.
    please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

is the tremsetter like the tremolo-no? I have used blocks of wood to block the tremolo before, but the tremolo-no seems like a cool device.
      Sam

Comment

If you want to make it smoother and easier to operate, take out a spring.

I actually prefer the stiffer feel of my Floyds with four or five springs.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          If you want to make it smoother and easier to operate, take out a spring.

I actually prefer the stiffer feel of my Floyds with four or five springs.
          will I still be able to use heavier guage strings if I take out a spring?
          Sam

Comment

e.b.,
            it's all a balancing act between string tension, and spring tension.
            experiment and you'll soon see when you run out of tension adjustment, and have to add a spring, or detune in order to keep that bridge parallel with the body.
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
              e.b.,
              it's all a balancing act between string tension, and spring tension.
              experiment and you'll soon see when you run out of tension adjustment, and have to add a spring, or detune in order to keep that bridge parallel with the body.
              Exactly. He says he'll be downtuning anyway, so the heavier strings won't affect things all that much.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have two springs on my trem, downtuned to C or C# with hybrid heavier gauge strings and it was fine.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

ok, so last night, I got the 12 - 56's Ernie Ball strings on the dk2m. I kept the three springs and managed to tune to B-E-A-D-G-B. I think I have it intonated right too. But the D string feels stiffer than the others. I'm thinking I need to give the strings a little time to settle in. But yes, with three springs and no changes required, the floyd is almost level with the body. Well, a little higher than level, but still manageable.
                  Sam

Comment

One of my DX10's I have 4 springs with my 10's. I have the "claw" pretty far in to level my bridge.
                    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      Floating trem noob checkin in. :ROTF: of the 12 guitars I've owned and sold in my 5 years of playing, only 2 had floating trems. All I know about the floating trem on my Dk2M is that its a JT-580 or something like that. How can I make it

1) smoother to operate? Are there any different/better than stock springs that I can replace the stock ones with? I played on a XPT700 (ibeenhad) over the weekend and noticed that the trem arm moved much smooter than mine. I know that the edge III is the crappiest of 'em all. but still I liked how it played.

2) If I install heavier guage strings, do I need more springs at the back? I am using 10's with standard tuning but plan to de-tune 2.5 steps lower and will go for 12's.

3) I read somewhere that the ZR trem on the Ibanez's are amazing. Zero resistance! Can I replace the JT trem on the DK2M with one? Is it worth it? Or even possible? I dont want to re-route the guitar or something.

thanks
                      Sam
                      1) You may try Schaller springs on JT-580LP. And keep the knife edges always softly oiled.

2) Four springs is the best application IMHO.

3) Not worth.

And finally tremsetter is "doble action" spring tensioner (generally).

However any good brand FR tremolo in good condition and with sharp edges stay in tune.
                      Dinky XL '96 - always stay in tune

Comment

is the tremsetter like the tremolo-no? I have used blocks of wood to block the tremolo before, but the tremolo-no seems like a cool device.
                        No. The Tremsetter still lets you fully use your trem up and down. It's job is to help the trem return to center so that you stay in tune.

Tremolo-no and blocking kill the functionality of the trem, making it like a fixed bridge.

Comment

ok, so last night, I got the 12 - 56's Ernie Ball strings on the dk2m. I kept the three springs and managed to tune to B-E-A-D-G-B. I think I have it intonated right too. But the D string feels stiffer than the others. I'm thinking I need to give the strings a little time to settle in. But yes, with three springs and no changes required, the floyd is almost level with the body. Well, a little higher than level, but still manageable.
                          To get the bridge level, use the claw screws. Since you say the bridge is too high, you want to screw the claw further into the body. Do this just a little bit, because when you screw it in, your tuning will be high. When you lower your tuning, the bridge will be even lower still. Adjust claw, re-tune, and check for level. Repeat as neccessary.

If the claw is all the way in, you'll need to add another spring and back the claw out. If the claw is too far out, remove a spring and turn the claw in.

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the tips guys!
                            Sam

Comment

Working...
                            X