My project - RR Professional Series EX Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My project - RR Professional Series EX Model

(might be long to read but any help is appreciated)

Hi guys,

Just bought a used RR Ex model from the professional series from 1992 for 250 bucks...
    I am a versatile player (from jazz to metal) but never ventures in the "extreme" shapes.
    This series was reputable at the time and the previous owner had put a set of EMG (81 and 85) so I was like 'let's buy this' and see from there!

The instrument has the tip of its wing a little bit banged up but the nicks are covered with black paint...So no worries in terms of playability.

Sooooo...Here's what I have done so far:

-Dismantled neck and the Jackson floating bridge.

-Unscrewed everything: input jack, emg's...to get all the screws out and assess if a cleaning will be enough (WD40 and brush) or if I need to replace them.

-clean the headstock and neck of the guitar using lemon oil, toothbrush (little gunk there) and rag.

SOOOOOOO....Here are my questions:

-Screws: if some cant be salvaged/cleaned with WD40 ...will I find the exact same ones in a hardware store?

-Tuning pegs: I want to replace them...which brand/models do you think I should get? I want to keep them all black. Do you guys have a link where the changing process is shown?

-Is there a way to figure out if the pickups are rusted inside? I imagine the rust would affect the sound of the guitar...

-Jackson Floyd rose: for the EX model of the professional series, would any replacement Floating bridge would do?

I guess thats it for now...Thanks for your input guys!

Start here (http://www.fretsonthenet.com) for all your misc hardware needs. Screws, plates, etc. Dave (Budman68) is a member here and makes great replacement parts.

As for the tuners, Gotoh SG 36's or a set of Schaller's will fit perfectly.

EMG's are sealed, so no real chance of rust there.

If it is a 92, the trem should be an original JT-580 with the long string lock screws and squared off base plate like a Floyd.
    It can be replaced with a real Floyd Rose with no modifications needed to the guitar.
    Use the existing posts if they're n decent shape... same applies to the lock nut. Replace it only if it's worn out.
    -Rick

Comment

Thanks for the uber fast answer ^^^

I will contact Budman68 for the screws and stuff.
      The bridge looks decent but rusty...
      Do you have a link where I can find the machine heads you mention (for a decent $$)??

Hopefully once I clean everything and put it back together,,,i'll be able to make the right adjustments!

[The RR I have is #215045...From the "2" I assume it's a '92 from what I read online!]

Comment

Working...
      X