New member, with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, with a question

Hey, I have a Jackson question for all of you. How can I tell the difference between a Performer PS-4 and a JDR 94? The guitar has the HSH pickup config, reverse headstock, and has knurled metal volume and tone knobs. The headstock says Performer, and the truss cover is blank. I bought this new in '99 at a Guitar Center, but all that I can remember is that it was a "dinky reverse." I don't know how long it was in stock before I bought it.

I do love the guitar. Great tone and playability. I swapped the pickups out a long time ago. I'm thinking about putting in the rs guitarworks pots. Would this guitar use the short or long shaft pots?

Thanks for a great website...looking forward to hanging around here for a while.
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

One way is to take the neck off and it should say when it was made in the pocket and heel.
    List the serial number and that may help also. What color is it?

Comment

Jdr 94s had "concept" on the headstock instead of "performer" so that should be a Ps-4 welcome btw..
      Check my bands!
      www.myspace.com/magicktr
      www.myspace.com/sinif64
      www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Welcome to the forum. From what I remember, the JDR94 was the original name of what became the PS-4.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
          Jdr 94s had "concept" on the headstock instead of "performer" so that should be a Ps-4 welcome btw..
          +1
          You have a PS-4.

The JDR94 was part of the Concept series that became the Performer series in 1995.
          Good guitars, just real crappy hardware and electronics.

Welcome!!!
          -Rick

Comment

The JDR94 had that ingraved on the truss rod as well.
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
              The JDR94 had that ingraved on the truss rod as well.
              Yep. This is all that I have left of mine.

-Rick

Comment

Thanks for the replies and welcomes.

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Good guitars, just real crappy hardware and electronics.
                Agreed, this is why I swapped out the pickups a long time ago. I plan to do the rs pot and cap upgrade now that I know that they exist. I'm going to replace the JT-500 trem with a Schaller, as well. I'd prefer to replace it with an OFR, but it looks like that is not a straightforward swap.
                The Guitars:
                Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                The Amps:
                Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Welcome to the brotherhood.
                  I have two PS-4's and really like them.
                  Swapped pickups on both of them.
                  So far, the trems have treated me OK... but I can see going Schaller at some point.
                  I think you may be able to get away with an OFR, if you use shorter locking screws (so they fit in the backroute pocket when you pull up).
                  Not 100% sure on that, but think I read it somewhere.
                  Cheers!
                  "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Stick with the Schaller.
                    An OFR will require too many mods to either the trem or the guitar to fit properly.

Here's my JDR-94 (converted to a single hum) with a Chrome JT-590 (Schaller).
                    You can see there isn't a whole lot of room in there for an OFR.

Crappy pic, but it's all I took before I sold the guitar.

-Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X