Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2T question from a New Member

Hi all, a new member here,

I'm planning to get another hardtail guitar and one of the options is Jackson.
    I want something w/o EMG's, so the only way is DK2T in Jackson line, especially Crimson Swirl color . Other options are Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX and ESP/LTD EC400VF. Basically all have SD pick-ups.

I can trade my two Epi SG's for a new DK2T in my local shop, but for Schecter and LTD I have to sell Epi's first which is a hard thing and time consuming.

My main guitar is Schecter C-1 Classic which I love very much.

I know that this is Jackson forum , but do you suggest DK2T over others objectively? DK2T has Jackson bridge and tuners, how good are they, should I change them? I don't want to spend more after buying the guitar.

Only DK2T is made in Japan, others are in Korea, so I assume DK2T will be higher quality, but with cheaper bridge and tuners.

Many will say "go and try all", but there are not many shops here and they don't always have what you want to try.

I'll appreciate your opinions and DK2T pictures if any.

This is my baby, my transparent black DK2T which I think is by far, the most beautiful DK2T. Also, it was very very hard to find one in TB at that time. But good 'ol ebay came through with the deal of a lifetime. I paid $300 with free shipping.

The tuners are excellent in my opinion. It hangs from the wall hanger for months at a time and when I finally pick her up, she is still in tune! The bridge is not the greatest looking. My guitar was 2 years old when I bought it, but the bridge had some paint sort of thing coming off.

The neck is very slim. if you like thick necks, then this might not be the one for you. The frets are great. even though I have 11's on them, there is virtually no fret wear.

But it being a Jackson, the resale value is very bad. Imagine, I got mine for $300 shipped. So, I would say dont pay more than $350. But for the crimson swirl, I'm not sure what the going rates are. good luck!

Sam

Comment

Wow, she's real beauty

$350??? I've checked fleabay couple times, but no used DK2T. Also, no luck selling my Epi's on Craig's List either. I'm planning to have my local shop order a new DK2T. The quoted prices for new ones are $600 for Black, $650 for TBlack, and $700 for CSwirl. These are before discount if any. He'll count my Epi's close to $600, and I'll pay the remaining part.

Is it worth it?

What do you say, can I taggle CS down to $650 or even $600?

Comment

Christ, $700 for CSwirl now? Mine was stickered at $620 two years ago, got him down to around $500 IIRC.

EDIT: I find $700 too much unless it's a stellar one. They really very. Mine is one of the best looking I've seen, while others look like crap. They also can be hard to photograph.

Comment

where are my manners? Welcome to the board, Bacardi

yes, they are hard to find used. Tell me about it. I searched the fleabay, craigslist, etc. for almost 6 months everyday until I found mine on the fleabay for such a good deal. Here's the best part. The neck by itself, I have seen bid $300+ on ebay.

But unfortunately, Jacksons dont have good resale value. BTW, what was the wait-time quoted by the dealer? They can be as high as 9 months. That was also one of the bigger reasons, apart from the price, that I did not go through the order.

As a die-hard DK2T fan, if you ask me, you should trade in those two epi's and essentially pay $50 for the dk2t. but that's just me.
          Sam

Comment

Thanks Emperor ,

9 months? I'm surprised; even custom guitars are about 9 months.
            He said they have TBlack in stock in a store about 80 miles away, and two to three weeks for Black one. Actually I didn't ask waiting time for CSwirl because I changed my mind couple days later from TBlack to CS.

Hmm, let me talk to the store again about waiting time. I don't want to wait more than couple weeks.

Is there any downside having bolt-on neck along the road? Also, I've heard some complaints about the neck pocket, did you guys have any problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi/Cola View Post
              Is there any downside having bolt-on neck along the road? Also, I've heard some complaints about the neck pocket, did you guys have any problem?
              the neck pocket problems seem to be the DK2M's. I have not come across any threads about the DK2T's as far as I can remember.
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi/Cola
                I'm planning to get another hardtail guitar and one of the options is Jackson.
                I want something w/o EMG's, so the only way is DK2T in Jackson line, especially Crimson Swirl color . Other options are Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX and ESP/LTD EC400VF. Basically all have SD pick-ups.
                The DK2T looks a nice guitar so I'd say if you like it go for it. I would always try a guitar before buying it just in case I didn't like the way it felt, though.

Have you considered the RR5? It's also a hardtail with Seymour Duncans and the Ivory finish is quite beautiful. I saw one the other day and I was tempted even though I'm not ordinarily a huge fan of the Rhoads shape and I want my next axe to have 24 frets and a Floyd. It's that beautiful!
                I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Confuse-a-Cat View Post
                  The DK2T looks a nice guitar so I'd say if you like it go for it. I would always try a guitar before buying it just in case I didn't like the way it felt, though.

Have you considered the RR5? It's also a hardtail with Seymour Duncans and the Ivory finish is quite beautiful. I saw one the other day and I was tempted even though I'm not ordinarily a huge fan of the Rhoads shape and I want my next axe to have 24 frets and a Floyd. It's that beautiful!
                  Frankly speaking, I like RR shape more than DK2T's shape. The problem is RR5 is 500 more expensive. I've even considered RR3, but I don't want a floating trem now.

I'm not sure wife would be happy if I buy $1200 guitar. If you're married, you'd know that a angry wifey is not good

Comment

if you are willing to buy a RR5 used, you can get this as cheap as $600 on the bay. Most RR5 users are die-hard fans and maintain the guitars very well. I have seen them sell as cheap as $500 WITH hard-shell case.

If you dont trust me, do a search for RR5's on this forum and you'll see. The thing is, when the RR24's were released, the prices of the RR5's fell sharply. sadly, the RR24's seem to have been discontinued and the RR5's prices are again on the climb. But still used, you get a great deal. that pretty much holds true for all Jacksons.
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi/Cola View Post
                      I'm not sure wife would be happy if I buy $1200 guitar. If you're married, you'd know that a angry wifey is not good
                      Fair enough! I am not married nor do I even have a girlfriend so I don't have those considerations. Though, if she gets annoyed at least you'd have a pointy guitar to fend her off with
                      I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Working...
                      X