Jackson Performer PS-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Performer PS-4

As I mentioned in my RR3 thread, I'm on this incurable guitar upgrade obsession. My PS-4 had a DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck, a Seymour Lil '59 in the middle, and a DiMarzio Fred in the bridge.

I was happy with the HfH and the '59, but I wanted something hotter in the bridge, so I just dropped in a DiMarzio Evolution. The internals were upgraded with RS guitarworks pots, switch, and cap, heavier guage wiring, and a Planet Waves jack. My new Schaller trem came yesterday and is awaiting install. I hated the free play in the JT-500 trem arm.

Now, here's my dilemma: I want to replace the original 24 fret neck (maple/rosewood, offset dots) with a maple/maple 24 fret neck with the black sharktooth inlays, reverse headstock. The body of the guitar is black. Does anyone know where I might find a neck like that? It's too bad that Warmoth doesn't make a "true" 24 fret neck.
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

I think your dilemma is putting too much into a PS-4. You could score a black DK2M for $475 with case, with the upgraded trem, better pickups, the neck you want (less the reverse headstock).

I say keep the PS-4 neck, and instead of dumping more money into the PS-4, look into getting a custom shop axe.
    Last edited by DonP; 05-03-2008, 09:40 AM.

Comment

DonP, it's all about the approach. What got me into this is that I am building a Warmoth custom guitar. I have a lot of fun upgrading and replacing parts on pre-existing guitars...tinkering, if you will.

That said, I probably would not drop the change for a custom shop Jackson, but I am considering an SL1 in the future.
      The Guitars:
      Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
      The Amps:
      Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Anyway, decided to stay with the original neck. Got the new trem installed and a fresh set of strings. The new trem is a huge upgrade compared to the 500 that was in it. No free play in the arm, and the arm doesn't hit the tone control knob like the 500's did.

Thanks for the thoughts, Rich#6.
        The Guitars:
        The Amps:

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
          Anyway, decided to stay with the original neck. Got the new trem installed and a fresh set of strings. The new trem is a huge upgrade compared to the 500 that was in it. No free play in the arm, and the arm doesn't hit the tone control knob like the 500's did.

Thanks for the thoughts, Rich#6.
          Yeah, I feel and and some other people do too that the super thin neck on the PS4 or similar vintage Dinkys is the best feature, and something you can't get today unless you go custom.

Of course neck thinness is personal preference, once you upgraded the trem you got a great guitar.

Comment

Hey, Doc, you got pics yet of your -4? I, too, have a PS-4 and I haven't found anything that comes close to it yet. I do need to replace the trem; while mine doesn't hit the tone knob, I would like a higher-quality trem on it.

Comment

That DK2M limited is killer. I would love to get my hands on it (if I had any extra cash right now...which I don't!) How is that Eden neck? Anyone try one. I was considering getting a neck for a knock around body I have and I have seen a lot of these Edens. I'm just not sure if they are worth it.
              Guitars:
              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
              1988 Model 2,
              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
              RR3
              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
              2005 SG Special

Comment

I actually made a bid on the DK2M just to get the neck, but got into a bidding was and it was just not worth it for the neck. At least the guy who sold it got more than he would have otherwise got.

Regarding the Eden necks, I did a Google search. I found mixed reviews. If you need a neck, I guess for $65 you can't really go wrong. I'd just make sure it was $65 you could afford to throw out.
                The Guitars:
                The Amps:

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonDean View Post
                  Hey, Doc, you got pics yet of your -4? I, too, have a PS-4 and I haven't found anything that comes close to it yet. I do need to replace the trem; while mine doesn't hit the tone knob, I would like a higher-quality trem on it.
                  I didn't, so at your request, I took a couple. Here they are:

It's got a couple of chips in it, but for the money, it has been a damned good guitar.
                  The Guitars:
                  The Amps:

Comment

Nice looking guitar, Doc-enjoy it. I have 2 myself and they've been great guitars for me. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what years these were made?

Comment

Originally posted by shewchuck View Post
                      Nice looking guitar, Doc-enjoy it. I have 2 myself and they've been great guitars for me. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what years these were made?
                      Thanks, they were made mid to late 90's I bought this new in mid '99.
                      The Guitars:
                      The Amps:

Comment

I had/have a PS-4... but the neck came to an unfortunate end...

I've got a DK2 neck on it now and I'd say that the original PS-4 neck is better... I've only just got it fixed - it's been broken for about 6 years. But you made a good choice keeping the PS-4 neck.

I also hate the free play in the trem arm. Are the Schaller trems good? They're around the same price as a Floyd Rose Original... Which is better?
                        Last edited by beretta93r; 05-12-2008, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beretta93r View Post
                          I also hate the free play in the trem arm. Are the Schaller trems good? They're around the same price as a Floyd Rose Original... Which is better?
                          I'm pretty satisfied with the Schaller. I would prefer the OFR (which I have in other guitars), but the Schaller is a direct drop-in replacement in this guitar. The OFR would require additional routing and some who have tried it have not been able to get proper intonation.

Tonewise, the OFR is a bit brighter than the Schaller.
                          The Guitars:
                          The Amps:

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
                            The Schaller is a direct drop-in replacement in this guitar.
                            Ah, I never really thought about having to re-route for an Original Floyd Rose. Might look into the Schaller then.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X