Small problem with my new RR5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small problem with my new RR5

So I picked up a new RR5 earlier this week and I love it however there is a small issue with it. Oh the high E string at the 15th fret only, when doing a full note bend it frets out. The 14th fret and 16th fret are fine. I raised the action a hair and it didn't seem to have any effect and I don't exactly want to crank it up to compensate for one bad spot.

I'm assuming this is because of a low spot on the fret so it seems to my relatively uninformed mind that it must that because it only happens on the one fret and essentially only the one string when bending. Is this something I should...

Ask the store to repair
    Return the guitar for a replacement
    suck it up and have repaired on my own.

Everything about the guitar is perfect otherwise. It intonates perfectly after set up, the action is pretty good and it sounds great acousticly and plugged in.

Thanks for any info or opinions.

Drew
    Last edited by Hellbat; 05-16-2008, 12:21 PM.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

I guess I'd start by asking the shop if they are capable of addressing the issue. Some techs are competent when it comes to fret work, and others will just try to go at it with a file . . . which is not good in my experience.
    sigpic

Comment

Well, they are being stand up about it. They are going to exchange it for me and they are letting me keep this one until it's in next week. Then they are going to get this one warranty serviced.

Its a real bummer, this guitar is otherwise perfect but at least my shop is providing good customer service.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

thats odd that u have the exact same problem on teh exact same fret as me, my rr5 does that too, i've had mine for like 2 yrs now tho and it started in teh last 5 months or so.

Comment

Could be a Truss Rod Issue, however if your shop is treating you right and ordering a new one and getting the other one fixed under warrenty then it's all good...

Comment

Okay, I want to weep...

The replacement came in and I exchanged them and the replacement has it's own problem which i didn't discover until now. The high e string nut slot is cut too low and the string buzzes like crazy when played open. Fretted it is fine.

Am I expecting too much out of a $1000 import guitar or should I be not willing to accept these kinds of flaws?
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Okay, I want to weep...

The replacement came in and I exchanged them and the replacement has it's own problem which i didn't discover until now. The high e string nut slot is cut too low and the string buzzes like crazy when played open. Fretted it is fine.

Am I expecting too much out of a $1000 import guitar or should I be not willing to accept these kinds of flaws?
              Check the truss rod tightness.

Turn the neck so that you can see along the neck on the high E string side. Push down on the highest fret and the lowest fret at the same time.

Then using one of the same hands that is still pushing down on the string, pluck the string so that if it were to vibrate, it would vibrate along the neck. Also loot to see if the string touches the frets on the neck while you are doing this.

If the string is laying flat across the frets and vill not vibrate, then you have the truss rod overtightened.

Loosen it up until the buzzing on the open fret stops.

Then once you have fixed that,,use the bridge to adjust the action.

That's what I would do....

Comment

Well, I think I'm taking the extreme route on this one. I returned the 2nd RR5 and I'm going to order an RR1T which I wanted to do in the first place anyways. When I bought my Charvel back in 1987 it was because I couldn't afford a Jackson back then. I bought the Japanese Jackson now for the same reason. I think I just need to bite the bullet and get the real deal. I'm sure I'll be a lot happier in the long run doing this anyways.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                X