DK2S is a dead fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2S is a dead fish

Well, I have tried and tried, but this guitar sounds like a piece of plywood. No resonance, only sustains with the sustainer on and is about as toneless as my cat. Has anyone else had issues like this with their import? I have a DKMGT that sounds wonderful. I also have a Kramer striker that is more "alive" than this guitar. I guess it will be a pup change first to see what that will do. New strings, adjusting pickup height, etc doesnt seem to help at all. I am thinking about maybe putting a custom in the bridge. Maybe that will help. The guitar otherwise is well made and play great. It just sounds like Scarlett Johansson, :ROTF:
    Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

What is the pickup in it? I'm guessing the stock JB? JBs can be a bit inconsistent in my experience. Some sound good, others can sound flat. Some here will also say if you put in some new pots and switches it may make a difference. Likewise, how does it sound unplugged? If you say "pretty good", it's most likely an electronics issue. If you're not impressed, you may considering just getting rid of it. Every company is going to make a tone dud once in awhile.

Comment

I think I am going to try something hotter in the bridge first and then if it doesnt liven it up, I will move on to something else. Just like you said above, it just is kinda flat. I dont recall it being so lifeless before, but when the axe is new, you tend to overlook things.

Comment

Ninety percent chance that a pickup change won't fix what's ailing your guitar. Some guitars just have more "singing" in them than others, and it often has little to do with how much it costs or who makes it.

Comment

Maybe its my fingers. Most of the tone is in your fingers anyway, damn, I just looked, I have flat toneless fingers. I guess I will have to take up another instrument. Maybe tuba?

Comment

Never noticed any tonal problems with my DK2S (2006 version). I had a really good tech set it up. Neck felt uncomfortable tho.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
              Ninety percent chance that a pickup change won't fix what's ailing your guitar. Some guitars just have more "singing" in them than others, and it often has little to do with how much it costs or who makes it.
              +1 Sometimes a guitar is just a tone turd.

Sell it. One person's trash could be another person's treasure.

Comment

What bridge is on it? If it's the standard JT580LP, you're not going to get better tone out of the pickup.

Put an OFR on it and some new strings.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A Kramer Striker sounds better?!? Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    What bridge is on it? If it's the standard JT580LP, you're not going to get better tone out of the pickup.

Put an OFR on it and some new strings.
                    I have a DK2S with JT580LP and it stays in tune just fine, but the feel of the JT580 is not as solid as an OFR. And the fine tuners on the JT580 make the whole trem feel cheap. For tone comparison, I have the same exact pickup, a Dimarzio Evolution, in a DK2S and a Charvel Model 5 that has an OFR. The Model 5 has a much more full tone, for the lack of a better term. The DK2S sounds tinnier. Not bad, but not as good as the Model 5. And pinch harmonics jump out of the Model 5 (volume control only) but are harder to obtain in the DK2S that has all of it's electronic baggage. I know these are quite different guitars, but I wonder how much of it is the trem vs. electronics, vs. construction of the guitar.

I have an extra OFR I was saving for another project, but if it makes a big difference I might throw it into the DK2S. I'd have to cut the block down to fit in the DK2S though.
                    Dave

Comment

Just get the right block don't cut that one.
                      If the guitar has a dull acoustic tone(unplugged)it just may be a dud that does happen.
                      Things to check: Is the neck making good contact in the neck pocket?It may not be screwed down all the way.Sometimes dead strings are the problem, change to a different brand.The trem is not the problem IMO.
                      Some of the DK bodies are made of multiple pieces of wood and that will play a big part in how much the body resonates.I had a Charvel 375 body that when stripped I found it had been made out of 6 different pieces of wood and yes it was a tone turd.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Is it a JB that's in it? I thought the DK2S came with bog standard Duncan Design pups, rather than genuine versions. If it has no sustain, a pickup change won't help. It needs something to work with!

What about the nut?
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The low-quality metal the trem and nut are made of will affect the tone, both acoustic and amped.

Put better-quality parts on it and you will hear a difference in both tones. I've done it countless times on the dozens of imports I've had, and it works every time.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's one of the 2006 DK2S with the real duncans in it. I am gonna unload it. I am going to buy one of those blue bengal DK2M's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
                              It's one of the 2006 DK2S with the real duncans in it. I am gonna unload it. I am going to buy one of those blue bengal DK2M's.
                              I have an RR3 that I just couldn't get to sound good, despite trying various different pups in it. Then I got a set of Blackouts and it turned into a monster.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X