Model 4 Keeps going out of tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 Keeps going out of tune

I bought a really nice '86 Model 4 with Kahler Trem which plays really nice. Problem is, when I use the trem it goes wildly out of tune. It has locking machine heads, Kahler clamp style nut which you'd think would stop it from going out of tune but even one pull on the whammy bar makes it unplayable. Any ideas what I can do to sort this? People say change the nut for a graphite nut. Any other suggestions?
    Charvel Model 4
    Charvel 475 Deluxe Exotic
    Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/retaliato

Comment

I have the same problem with a schaller trem on a 375Dlx.
      I blocked the trem from going back (with a pice of wood) and tightened the springs.
      Not the best solution but it was driving me mad !

If you solve it let me know !
      sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

The Kahler may simply just need to be lubricated and cleaned..or it may require new springs....all relatively easy fixes....I bought a Ontario Jackson Dinky a few years back as a restoration project... the Kahler was THRASHED!!

Anywho, I bought a Kahler rebuild kit off of E-Bay for it, rebuilt it from the cam up, and it turned out to be a kick ass guitar....

Kahler's are my bridge of choice for trems...they can be finicky until you get used to them, but they aren't that bad to work on....I just had to change out a string hook on one of mine...looked at the instructions and Kahler info sheet and it wasn't that bad...

Comment

I love Kahler trems, but the locking clamps are bloody useless at best. The only way to keep'em in tune IMHO is to fit a Floyd Rose type locknut assembly. Or alternatively, tighten up the torsion spring and leave the arm in your guitar case....

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've used some hair clipper oil, which has the consistantcy slightly thicker than water and that has improved it a great deal, still goes slightly out of tune but nowhere near as bad. I saw a youtube video of a bloke saying to use chapstick applied with a toothpick but never tried it. I may change the locking nut to a Floyd as it works really well on my Deluxe and on my Peavey Wolfgang.
            Charvel Model 4
            Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

Comment

I remember putting some chapstick and even WD40 on the pivot screws on the bridge.
              (I think that is where it is supposed to ber put, correct me if I 'm wrong)

Did you put anything on the locking nut??? I ve read somewhere that you can put some candle wax on it. If it stops going out of tune; then the problem is the locking nut.

Check that out !
              sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

I would take the whole thing apart and clean up each piece individually. Pain in the ass but probably a good idea given the thing is 21 or 22 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                  I remember putting some chapstick and even WD40 on the pivot screws on the bridge.
                  (I think that is where it is supposed to ber put, correct me if I 'm wrong)

Did you put anything on the locking nut??? I ve read somewhere that you can put some candle wax on it. If it stops going out of tune; then the problem is the locking nut.

Check that out !
                  Haven't put anything on the locking nut, might try candle wax, God knows the missus has got loads of them, its like a bleedin' church in our house.

TheTroy, I'd probably end up with bits missing and springs all over the place if I took it apart and cleaned it. I am about as mechanical as a piece of fruit.
                  Charvel Model 4
                  Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

Comment

Aww it's not that hard. Though the Kahler is about the most complicated guitar bridge around. The link charvelguy posted is a good thing to read over a couple times.

If you are afraid of messing it up, then just take one piece off at a time and make sure you know how to put that piece back on before you continue. Worst case you end up with 1 piece that you don't know how to put back and I'm sure one of us could help you out.

Comment

Yes, that link is really good, some very useful info on there. I may try and take the Kahler apart next week, Its a real shame as this has the potential to be one of my favourite guitars, just spoiled by it going out of tune so often.
                      Charvel Model 4
                      Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo

Comment

Working...
                      X