No announcement yet.

FRT-0-*000? are these OFR's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not until this thread has anyone claimed the china OFRs to be made of pot metal. I would guess they're made of the same type of material as the german OFRs - just made in China. The difference will be noticeable in the tolerances.

Comment

Aren't the Ping Floyds made in China?

And yes, you're right about the Made In Germany stamp - I was looking at a Schaller when I typed that

And yes, I can blame Floyd. Millions of people have had no problem paying $200+ for a Schaller-made OFR for years. They know they're getting the best quality for a fair price. There's no need to compete on the price front when you're dominating on the quality front.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        Dang now I'm really confused. I used to think I could tell a JT580 from a JT590. The JT580's with the angled base plate I can recognize, but I guess some of them have square base plates too? Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          And yes, I can blame Floyd. Millions of people have had no problem paying $200+ for a Schaller-made OFR for years. They know they're getting the best quality for a fair price. There's no need to compete on the price front when you're dominating on the quality front.
          I agree. It's a short-sighted marketing move, and it will only serve to dilute the brand. They really ought to keep the OFR a high quality, premium product - like they've done for all these years.

Yes, let's blame Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Dang now I'm really confused. I used to think I could tell a JT580 from a JT590. The JT580's with the angled base plate I can recognize, but I guess some of them have square base plates too? Sigh.
            The older JT580s started out with a square base plate and longer locking pins. In '94 they did the JT580LP (low-profile version) with a square base plate, and that only lasted for about a year until they made the angled base plates we see today.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It appears that the TN02 Jackson Stars models have a Ping Floyd, and that the TN01 models have a Schaller Floyd.

The RR24 is strange because it seems to have some J1 characteristics, and some J2 Characteristics.

Dark ebony fret board (J1 characteristic)

Plastic inlays and a Ping (current TN02 characteristics, I believe that the J2's actually had a schaller).

Anyhow, I've never owned a Ping, but I assume thgat they have to be made to the same specifications as a Floyd Rose, and therefore must be made to a certain standard.

Comment

Well just look at it this way, they CANT be any worse than the 580lp's, and dont have a goofy rout to boot!
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                  I agree. It's a short-sighted marketing move, and it will only serve to dilute the brand. They really ought to keep the OFR a high quality, premium product - like they've done for all these years.

Yes, let's blame Floyd.
                  You have my vote too. If they want to offer a lower cost version to compete on price, do it honestly.

Comment

Yeah im talking about the Jackson STARS Kv-2. Anyone have one of these chinese floyds? And would it be a simple swap to put an original fr in it?
                    Marshall JCM800 2203
                    G12K-100w Cabinet
                    Jackson RR24

Comment

Originally posted by nitro_D View Post
                      Yeah im talking about the Jackson STARS Kv-2. Anyone have one of these chinese floyds? And would it be a simple swap to put an original fr in it?

Have you been reading any of the posts? It is an original floyd, it's just made in China.

Comment

So is this 000200 or whatever it's called the ping floyd?

Everyone who has had the ping and compared it to the OFR has said the originals and schallers are much better made...

I would never consider the ping or a chinese made floyd to be an OFR as the OFR has always been made by schaller in germany...

If they really need to keep costs down or not cross the usa line spec wise they should use Gotoh FR's...

It mgiht ahve the Original floyd name but dont they use much cheaper metals for the baseplate, I do believe the ping's have a brass block but do they have the longevity fo the OFR's?

This is the reason i'd be happier having a lower end jackson with a LFR that isnt pretending to be something better than it is...

I would feel rather duped spending so much money on a japanese jackson with an original floyd only to find out it was a chinese copy...

Very gray line of false advertising there, they should note it's a ping floyd and not the ofr german made tank..

I do believe olp used the FRT100 on the mm1fr models...

I dont think jackson should be using anything other than schaller made units on guitars over 800...

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
                          So is this 000200 or whatever it's called the ping floyd?
                          No. The Ping Floyd is another thing entirely. It has an etched OFR logo and the Ping symbol (also etched) by the trem arm socket, and it has the licensing text as well. Jackson and Jackson Stars do not use the Ping Floyd as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                            No. The Ping Floyd is another thing entirely. It has an etched OFR logo and the Ping symbol (also etched) by the trem arm socket, and it has the licensing text as well. Jackson and Jackson Stars do not use the Ping Floyd as far as I know.
                            There's a possibility that they are the same but logo-ed differently, no?

Comment

Ping Floyd:

The FRT-O2000 looks exactly like a real OFR, except it doesn't say "made in Germany" on the back.

FRT-O2000:

Comment

That, and the back of the saddles look beveled like the knockoffs, not like the squared off Germany ones.
                                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                                X