Some questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions...

I'm not sure if these are really that plausible but I've been thinking of somethings I could do to my RR3.

I might just leave everything as is but I know I'm not going to be able to afford another guitar for a while and this is going to be my main axe and I really want it to stand out and make the best of it. And I know if you drop money into an import you won't get it back at all. I really don't care... this is my first Jackson and I tend to be rough on my guitars so I'll most likely keep it.

First is add a 24 fret neck... I know I can find these on ebay pretty easily. How much modding would have to be done to make it fit? I've never seen anyone do it so it must be hard... or someone doesn't feel like dropping 250 into an import. I might not do this only because I'd only be getting 2 extra frets but I'm just curious.

Second is if the 24 fret neck wouldn't work... Would I be able to put a left handed neck onto it without any modding? I think this would look pretty cool with the reverse sharkfins and headstock.

Third is adding bevels... I really can't decide if white or yellow maybe bevels would look good on a transparent black guitar. I could do em myself easily and for cheap. I think the white would match the inlays really well since there's no white in the body. But what paint/finish should I use?

You'd have to cut into the body to mount the 24 fret neck, which means you either lose the neck pickup or you have to route a new cavity for it. There's room on the body to route, but then the neck heel location would not change, so you'd be well into the body to get at those 2 extra frets.
    This may not be a problem for you.

A lefty neck should bolt right on with no problem.

Can't help with the paint stuff since Krylon changed their formula to non-guitar-friendly
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I wouldnt cut into the body to fit a 24 frets fretboard. It takes too much mooding for something not that crutial (just 2 semitones) and you probably won't be able to play that far into the body (the added frets) unless it is a very well done job.
      IF IT IS YOUR ONLY GUITAR AND WILL BE FOR LONG I WOULDNT RISK MESSING IT UP !
      sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Can't help with the paint stuff since Krylon changed their formula to non-guitar-friendly
        Shit! When did this happen?

Comment

Really? The Plastic Fusion kind or whatever?

Comment

I did a hack-job of it on an already beat to shit RR-EX body off ebay a few years ago.

It's not very hard to get the 24-fret neck to fit if you don't move the heel location at all, and there is enough room left in the neck pickup route to put a single-coil sized pickup at the neck.

Mine looks like an abomination but it plays and intonates just fine. It definitely "stands out" because it looks so bad!

Frets 21-24 are really hard to reach, however, so I really only ever use them for tapping.

All things considered, it was a fun little experiment but I would NOT recommend doing it unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time reshaping the body at the heel to make it essentially a set-neck guitar. Otherwise the extra frets are almost worthles.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
              I did a hack-job of it on an already beat to shit RR-EX body off ebay a few years ago.

It's not very hard to get the 24-fret neck to fit if you don't move the heel location at all, and there is enough room left in the neck pickup route to put a single-coil sized pickup at the neck.

Mine looks like an abomination but it plays and intonates just fine. It definitely "stands out" because it looks so bad!

Frets 21-24 are really hard to reach, however, so I really only ever use them for tapping.

All things considered, it was a fun little experiment but I would NOT recommend doing it unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time reshaping the body at the heel to make it essentially a set-neck guitar. Otherwise the extra frets are almost worthles.
              Did you have a green one? And painted Yellow? I think I saw it on ultimate-guitar.

But I wouldn't care that much if it looked bad... just adds to the originality! But since it's my only one I might try to avoid it.

Comment

No this was black and someone tried to remove the finish, with very limited success, using some sort of chemical solution. They then proceeded to sand it a little bit, so now it looks like a big gray-ish mess.

If it's your only guitar I would highly recomend against it. Very highly.

Comment

Originally posted by Seef View Post
                  Really? The Plastic Fusion kind or whatever?
                  No, the standard stuff recommended in that Ebay book How To Create a Factory Finish Using Spray Cans and PaintYourOwnGuitar.com

The guy that wrote the book/runs the site said he'd been getting emails from people that their finishes weren't working well after having done successful ones previously, and he checked into it and found that Krylon had changed their formula since the book was written.

I've still got some of the old stuff, but I haven't compared the contents or results to a new can.

I haven't been to the site in a while - does he now recommend the Fusion stuff?
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

No, the standard stuff recommended in that Ebay book How To Create a Factory Finish Using Spray Cans and PaintYourOwnGuitar.com

The guy that wrote the book/runs the site said he'd been getting emails from people that their finishes weren't working well after having done successful ones previously, and he checked into it and found that Krylon had changed their formula since the book was written.

I've still got some of the old stuff, but I haven't compared the contents or results to a new can.

I haven't been to the site in a while - does he now recommend the Fusion stuff?
                    At UG I posted something about what paint to use and they said they've used Krylon recently and it's been fine. I'm going to check out that site now!

EDIT : Someone posted this in reply...
                    "i think krylon paint is enamel, it was for a while but i guess people are finally noticing. Supposedly the changed the formula for better shelf live. I hear dupli-color automotive is good. The can with a suv on it."
                    Last edited by Seef; 06-11-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I agree 100% with thetroy !
                      Plus he has done it, so he must know !
                      sigpicPlayForFun

Comment

Working...
                      X