Question About Soloist Pro Mid Knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by i likeallguitar View Post
    Alright, I've decided what pickups I'm going to get.
    Neck- Lil '59
    Middle- Classic Stack Plus STK-S4 (a moderate output for dabbling in other genres of music)
    Bridge- JB
    They're all Duncan cause I like them but also I REALLY like having the the pickups look nice and uniform (hope I'm not the only one). As for the mid boost I want the best of both worlds. Tell me if this would work, I'm going to try to change the mid knob's potentiometer to a push/ pull and with the help off my dad find a way to "turn off" the mid boost chip. Might have worded that wrong, i don't think its called turning off but i think everyone gets the point.
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    I have a 1987 Model 6 with TB6 in the bridge and Hotrails in the middle and neck. Also the midboost is connected and working fine. Specially those Hotrails sound somewhat brighter with the boost. Not too much that nasalneckblues-sound... Not so sure about that TB6 though, I may change it to SD Custom or traditional TB4 that I have in my Rhoads.

Currently I´m waiting my 1990 Pro Soloist to be ready from my guitartech, he´s installing EMG SLV-20 setup in it, 85 in the bridge and SLV-singlecoils in the middle and neck. Also the original active circuit should be still working after that. Can´t wait to hear what it sounds like

GTP

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      They might work. You'd have to lightly glue them on, though. I know at one time Jackson used standard-spaced pickups because the JT-6 Floyd was standard-spaced and not Floyd-spaced, but I believe later on Jackson made Floyd/Trem-spaced pickups. Not sure if they used covers on those as well.
      Nope, they were all standard spaced (if we're talking the good J-series pickups).

Jackson covers fit over only standard spaced humbuckers. I have a trem-spaced Duncan Custom and the cover does not fit over.

Comment

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks. I thought someone had mentioned one time that they started using the trem-spaced pups, but I guess not the J-series then.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The trem spaced pickups began in the early 90's some were covered some were not.The early 90's pickups used the standard pickup ring.The older J series pickups used the larger pickup ring.
          Don't feel bad everybody thinks that the covered Jackson pickups are active.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Make sure you get the right value pot if you go with a push pull because the mid boost uses 50k on the vol not sure for the rest of the pots.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by GTP View Post
              Currently I´m waiting my 1990 Pro Soloist to be ready from my guitartech, he´s installing EMG SLV-20 setup in it, 85 in the bridge and SLV-singlecoils in the middle and neck. Also the original active circuit should be still working after that. Can´t wait to hear what it sounds like

GTP
              My Pro came out from the tech couple of days ago and now I have to admit it, it sucks. I mean, REALLY sucks. Midboost didn´t work with EMG:s, so it´s out. 85 in the bridge is somewhat lifeless, little muddy and deffinetly lacks output compared to my Model 6:s SD TB6 in the bridge. And those SLV singles...I hate them, I really do. Bluesy, dark, nasal, really low output, nothing good to say about them. Again, compared to my Model 6:s hotrails, 10-0 for hotrails. All in all, pretty expensive testdrive. I may give them a week or two, but then it´s of you go and back to passives.

Just to let you guys know, that DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME WITH THOSE PIECE OF SHITS!!!

GTP

Comment

I got a X2N, FastTrack2 and SuperDistortionS with an EMG After Burner(+dB20) in the SL Pro

Comment

i have a charvel model 4 with the mid boost, and i think it sounds great. when you roll it all the way back the mid boost is all the way off. to me it is about the most versital electronics i have used. keep it if you like it, ditch it if you dont

Comment

85 in the bridge is somewhat lifeless, little muddy and deffinetly lacks output compared to my Model 6:s SD TB6 in the bridge. And those SLV singles...I hate them, I really do.
                    Sorry to hear that. If you like the sound of a Duncan Distortion in your Model 6, you should swap the EMG-85 in your Pro for an EMG-81. The Distortion and the 81 have fairly similar sonic profiles. BTW, I agree with you about the 85 in Soloist-style guitars--I hate 'em. You shouldn't have to take it back to the tech to do a switch--the wiring is attached to the bottom of the pickups by a "quick connect" clip that doesn't require any soldering to do a switcheroo. Just unscrew the pickup from the body, unplug the wire, and plug it in to the replacement pickup. Also, swap out those SLV singles for a couple of EMG-SA single coils. You'll be much happier.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                      Sorry to hear that. If you like the sound of a Duncan Distortion in your Model 6, you should swap the EMG-85 in your Pro for an EMG-81. The Distortion and the 81 have fairly similar sonic profiles. BTW, I agree with you about the 85 in Soloist-style guitars--I hate 'em. You shouldn't have to take it back to the tech to do a switch--the wiring is attached to the bottom of the pickups by a "quick connect" clip that doesn't require any soldering to do a switcheroo. Just unscrew the pickup from the body, unplug the wire, and plug it in to the replacement pickup. Also, swap out those SLV singles for a couple of EMG-SA single coils. You'll be much happier.
                      Thanks, I thought that 85 --> 81 swap couple days ago, but haven´t done anything yet. I suppose there´s a big difference between alnico and ceramic? And those SLV:s...you think SA:s would do the trick? What about just plain S?

Comment

Since you say you tried to get the midboost to work with the EMGs, I'm assuming the 25K EMG pots were not used either? EMGs MUST use their own pots. The 50K pots usually found on the active-boarded Jacksons will have to be removed to use EMGs.

As well, EMGs work best when cranked as close to the strings as possible.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks, I thought that 85 --> 81 swap couple days ago, but haven´t done anything yet. I suppose there´s a big difference between alnico and ceramic? And those SLV:s...you think SA:s would do the trick? What about just plain S?
                          Oh yeah, the alnico/ceramic thing makes a big difference. That's why the 81 is much closer to the Distortion soundwise. Either S's or SA's would be good. The S's will probably be a bit brighter, since I believe their ceramic.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                            Oh yeah, the alnico/ceramic thing makes a big difference. That's why the 81 is much closer to the Distortion soundwise. Either S's or SA's would be good. The S's will probably be a bit brighter, since I believe their ceramic.
                            Thanks! I´ll just get that 81 and couple of S's and see what they can do. The brighter is the thing missing here...

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread but i didn't want to make a new one. Also i wasn't able to go through with the change cause I was out of town for a couple months but now I'm changing the pickups as we speak. Before I do something stupid I would like to clarify the values of the pots. If i'm putting in a push/pull pot to turn the mid boost on and off (and the stock pu's are being replaced with passive duncans) will there be any problems with the pot values? More importantly I should be asking what the values of the each potentiometer in the soloist pro(vol-tone-mid) are. Thanks for anyone who can help, the pots themselves do not say the value.

Comment

I believe the stock pots are 250k. To answer your question, if you're going passive to passive you don't need to replace the pots, but many feel it's a good idea since the stock pots aren't that great.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X