Am I Crazy? (Gold Hardware on a DK2T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Crazy? (Gold Hardware on a DK2T)

Lately I've been looking at my DK2T. I like it a lot, let's get that right. However, I want to change a few things and make some adjustments. The finish is coming off the bridge pretty badly now, and the control knobs don't stay on (never did anyway). So I got the crazy idea to put gold hardware on it as it's crimson swirl. Am I nuts? It would encompass a new bridge, tuners (most likely locking Sperzels), knobs, pickup rings, and possibly strap buttons, string ferrules, and if I could find them or get someone to make one, a gold/brass 3 way blade switch tip.

My only concerns is getting the size of the bridge right, (I assume I want the metric Tonepros?) tuner tabs (should be no issue with Sperzels), and how long before it tarnishes, but msot importantly, if I will like it. Any thoughts on this? I want it to look a bit more unique, but honestly I'm afraid the gold either won't last or look tacky.

The paint is coming off the bridge already? What are you sweating? Are you a Xenomorph??!! Actually, gold hardware is a good idea. On the other hand, if you're burning away black hardware that quick, gold hardware may look good initially, but not so after you've only played it once .
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

You might want to consider the Schaller mini-locking tuners instead of the Sperzels. Quality is pretty much the same, but the Schallers should fit without mods. Not sure about the Sperzels.
      My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
        The paint is coming off the bridge already? What are you sweating? Are you a Xenomorph??!! Actually, gold hardware is a good idea. On the other hand, if you're burning away black hardware that quick, gold hardware may look good initially, but not so after you've only played it once .
        Yeah, going on two years and the paint on the 6th string saddle is gone, the paint on the 5th string saddle pretty much gone, and the paint on the 4th is fading fast. The actual bridge is starting to show some wear too. I wipe it down after every use... maybe I just play it a lot if the first few frets having some indents in them already is any indication

As for tuners, Schallers did come into my head and the price seems better on them than comparable Sperzels. I may give some none locking Gotoh or similar tuners a try first to see if I really need the locking. It would be a nice thing for sure, but I'm not going to buy them if I don't need them. I guess I could give GFS stuff a shot too, though finish quality would be a sure fire question mark.

Comment

I have the EXACT same guitar...dk2t-CS.

Same problem too...I had it for half a year and the saddle and bridge black finish is fading/wearing off). It doesn't take long at all for the import string-thru bridges to wear. I have a KE2 in silver swirl (black hardware), and it shows no signs of wear...just a bit of corrosion on some floyd screws (2 of 6).

I have no reason to change the hardware though....it looks good either way when you play it, and nobody will ever notice it, unless if they look at it HARD. Keeps in tune well enough, but it does need fretwork (notes cut out at the higher frets, especially when bending). This seems to be somewhat common, as one of my friends had his KE3's frets done as well because of the same problem.

Comment

same here. DK2T-Transblack. Bad hardware is all I can say. Its almost corroded to the bare metal. In a few months, I think it will start rusting. Like wilkisy boy said, gold hardware is just gonna make matters worse and it will show.
            Sam

Comment

Gold will wear out faster than black/chrome, but it will be kinda neat to see on one of these guitars..

Comment

Just look at any old Gibson Custom from the 70s. The gold rubs off down to nickel. Chrome is hard and won't rub off (hence why car bumpers were chrome).

Any color will stay if you are careful and don't play it much

But getting back to gold, I've put gold hardware on my pavo-purple DK2 (originally chrome). There's a picture someone on this forum of it. Do a search if you are interested.

Comment

in regards to the sperzels that little plug can be taken out a number of guys have done this to stick them on esp eclipses and other guitars to avoid drilling the centred hole...

Gold sounds like it would match the crimson swirl really well, I would think a metric tonepros bridge would be required, measure yours and check the mesurements on wd's site they usually have them...

budman could make a brass/gold knob tip switch thing...

Good luck and if you decide to change it get some nice pics im sure gold would look freaking sweet on crimson swirl..

Comment

Working...
                  X