X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG qualities??!?!?

More newb queries! {Tolerance is highly underrated!}

After doing searches in here and checking out the pics in this eBay ad;

Seeing as I'm in the market for a mahogany axe, I was interested in hearing the peanut galleries opinions on its construction and all the qualities that go with it.

One thing that really stood out in this pic;

was that it's so thin!

My Gibson SG is thin, but it's a bound neck, not bolted. I like SG's, but they seem to lack that rich, silky tone like an LP. more "edgy" sounding, if you will. however, sustain is not an issue with SG's.

How does the SLSMG sound and how are it's sustain qualities?

I realize it's kind of a loaded question because it's really about what it's played through and who plays it. However, putting those details aside; do your best, dudes!
    Cheers.
    G.

Don't even think about bidding on that. LOL
    |My CSG gallery|
    (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

To me, the starting bid is on the high side. I've no intention of bidding on it. More so, this thread is just me looking to get a little more educated on Jackson/Charvel products.

I've always just played guitars and never really got into the tech aspects of 'em. That's slowly, but surely changing now.

Hell. The search for a decent deal on a mahogany bodied axe has been so unfruitful, I'm even thinking of doing the unthinkable, {To me, anyways!} and putting together my own mahogany bodied axe with components!
      G.

Comment

Look more closely at the photo - the darker strip is just the edge, the body almost blends in with the ground.

These are great guitars. The bodies are thick enough for a Floyd, so they're not "too" thin.

Sound characteristics should be similar to an SG - not heavy on the beef, but plenty of bite.

My JacksonStars NASLs are basically the same as the SLS - mahogany neckthrough mahogany body - just with Floyds - and the one that doesn't have a maple cap is my "Iommi" guitar.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well I went to a local music shop to check out some new Jacksons. I wanted to see what was new; seeing as I haven't really checked out any new stuff since I got the Charvel Model 4.

Crap selection. All MIJ DKMG's, DK2's, Kelly's, Warriors and lesser made elsewhere models. I really wanted to check out an SLSMG, but none were had. Played a DK2M through a JCM 2000. Nice tone, but it had too much bite for me. Guess it's the maple fretboard.

The only similar thing they had close to an SLS2MG was a mahogany LTD with EMG's and string through body. Much more closer to the tone and harmonics I prefer and for $400, not a bad price either, but I didn't like the feel. Come to think of it, I didn't like the DK2M either, but I think in both cases, the action was just a tad too high for my liking.
          G.

Comment

I own 1 of these

Its ok not a lot of sustain (my sg is much better(for sustain))

I think 450 is reasonable if it's in good shape and comes with a hardshell case ,but the stock pup's emg hz ,are relativly low output (ok with massive gain ) nothing like emg 81's

hope this helps \ when you find the guitar you're looking for - post some pics !!!!!!!!!!!
            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
              Don't even think about bidding on that. LOL
              Im not sure what the original price was, but it ended bin at $450, which is a decent price.

As for the SLSMG, Ive got one... very good guitar, great quality! Nice tight grain ebony, great binding and finish work. BUT... it needs actice pickups. I took out the junk HZ's and put in a Duncan Custom Custom and a '59 and its just way too weak. Im putting an EMG 85/85 set in to thicken it up.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                As for the SLSMG, Ive got one... very good guitar, great quality! Nice tight grain ebony, great binding and finish work. BUT... it needs actice pickups. I took out the junk HZ's and put in a Duncan Custom Custom and a '59 and its just way too weak. Im putting an EMG 85/85 set in to thicken it up.
                I'm currently running distortion/jazz in mine, the jazz is a little soft but has a real sweet mid tone, the distortion is plenty crunchy. The plan is blackouts though when I get some spare cash

Comment

My JacksonStars NASLs are basically SLSMGs with better pickups and inlays () and I'm not hearing any loss of sustain or tone with Duncans.

Must be an amp and/or setup issue with the SLSMGs.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

slsmg's are just extra shreddy man, id love a nasl with custom/59 setup, but these thin sticks need active action! (so I can play sloppy arps and still sound cool )

Comment

My friend has one of these for about 3 years and loves the thing. The reason all you guys complain about the sustain and stuff is because you aren't putting that hot of pickups in it. Personally me and him HATE emgs and active pickups all together. We threw a Dimarzio X2N and PAF Pro in that bitch and it sings. The only problems he ever had with it were because of all the stock electronics that came in it were giving us problems hardcore. So we ripped all that out. Bought all new pots and toggles along with the dimarzio and its just amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X