Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My RR3 BK '06 customized with gold hardware

Hi dudes.

It's the first time I post here but I have visited the JCF a lot before. It's my first post so here is some information about me. Read it or not, I don't really care.

My name is Steve, I'm 16 and I'm from Belgium, my first language is French but I also speak Dutch and English. I learned both at school. I've played the classical guitar and learned music theory at a music school when from 7 to 12 years. After that, I bought my first electric guitar, which was a Squier Affinity Strat. It was great during the first years. Then I turned intro metal music and discovered Jackson. I fell in love with the Rhoads shape. I bought my first and only Jackson in the end of 2006. It was and always is the RR3 with real Seymour Duncan pickups. After almost a couple of years, I thought my RR3 was boring. Not boring to play but to watch. There was black everywhere. I decided to change all the hardware to gold. I thought it would be very nice (by the way, now it is!).

I bought all the parts at Warmoth.com and Guitarpartsdepot.com. It was more or less 190€ (US $282) without shipping and finally, it was cheaper than buying the OFR ONLY in Europe.

Here is what I installed:

• OFR
    • Gotoh tuners
    • Schaller Straplocks
    • Knobs
    • Jackplate
    • Pickup height adjustment screws

As I read on this forum, I had some little problems while installing the parts.

First of all: the OFR nut. I choosed an R3 narrow nut. It has not the same height as the JT-580-LP. I had to sand the wood and now it's pretty OK. I had the idea of only putting the 3 gold strings lockers on the original black nut but it's impossible.

Next problem was the OFR posts (I think it's this word, I'm talking about the two "screws" on which the Floyd is floating). They are not exaclty like the original ones. Not the same screw so I had to change them entirely. I had to pull them out with a grip and then install the OFR ones by using a ... hammer. I first covered the OFR posts and the whole body with thick towels.

Last little problem was the potentiometers. The knobs didn't fit them. A friend of mine told me it was possible to tighten them and it worked.

Enough talked, here are the pictures with some comparisons of the original Jackson hardware and the hardware I bought.

More pictures in the next post.
    http://www.myspace.com/inarkadiaband
    Melodic Thrash Death Metal
    WE NEED A LABEL FOR OUR 3RD ALBUM!

ARE YOU READY?

I'm very proud of it. It's not tuned and intonated yet by the way.

Feel free to ask questions if you want. I have to go to work now.

Last edited by GuitariSteve; 08-14-2008, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Nice! Gold and Black is a slick and classy looking combination. Welcome aboard!
      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Looks good. Nice job. You might replace the P/U rings with some gold (polished brass) ones from Budman to complete the look.
        RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
        CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
        Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
        Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Very nice!! Welcome

Comment

Hi dudes, thank you all.

To spencer4hire: Actually, i thought about the gold pickup rings but I thought it would have been too gold. That's why I just bought gold screws for them. I love my guitar as she currently is but maybe one day i'll buy some gold rings.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitariSteve View Post
              Hi dudes, thank you all.

To spencer4hire: Actually, i thought about the gold pickup rings but I thought it would have been too gold. That's why I just bought gold screws for them. I love my guitar as she currently is but maybe one day i'll buy some gold rings.
              Nothing wrong with the way you have it. It is one sweet looking guitar.
              RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
              CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
              Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
              Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

It definitely added some class and visual appeal to an otherwise boring and run of the mill guitar. It stands out more now, and has a personal touch to it. Amazing what a few bolt ons do huh? You did a great job handling the little problems that you ran into as well.
                Welcome aboard! I'm fairly new here also, but this is by far the best forum I've been a part of, these guys here are so cool and you'll feel welcome from day one.

I love the look of Gold, however the finish doesn't hold up very well.
                Are you gonna put a Gold pickguard on it also? And pickup mounting ring screws? Either way it's very nice
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven
                Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Very nice.
                  I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                    Are you gonna put a Gold pickguard on it also? And pickup mounting ring screws? Either way it's very nice
                    Well, I don't like pickguards on the Rhoads shape so I prefer letting it the way it is. Black on black. And about the pickup mouting ring screws, yeah the ones I have are not that black anymore but I think if I buy some new ones, they'll definetely be black. But if I buy polished brass rings, then I'll buy gold mounting rings screws.

One more time, thank you everybody.

Comment

I had the same problem with the nut height (too high) with my DK2 going gold. I sanded down the gold nut instead of messing with the wood. My hardware was Lic. Floyd, so the nut wasn't flat but had a ridge around the bottom (hollow on the inside). This made it easier to sand because I only had to file down the ridge metal.

Comment

Good job! . Just gotta trim the strings at the tuners now .
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          I had the same problem with the nut height (too high) with my DK2 going gold. I sanded down the gold nut instead of messing with the wood. My hardware was Lic. Floyd, so the nut wasn't flat but had a ridge around the bottom (hollow on the inside). This made it easier to sand because I only had to file down the ridge metal.
                          I didn't know how to sand metal so I just sanded the wood.

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                          Good job! . Just gotta trim the strings at the tuners now .
                          Done!

Comment

Welcome Aboard Steve. That's a really nice looking guitar, great job on it! Black and Gold is a personal favorite of mine as well.

-Steve.
                            Guitars:
                            '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                            '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                            '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                            Amp:
                            VOX AD30VT

Comment

Now thats a great job ! looks great !

Comment

Working...
                              X