Calling all WRMG experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all WRMG experts.

I was looking at an older WRMG with the EMGHZs that has a 20db gain booster. Is this EMG's PA2 system or something else all together? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the active vs. passive pickups. I have never played a guitar with active pickups, but all my passive guitars have high end seymore duncan passives (Soloist SL2H, Washburn N4).

Thank in advance,

Aaron

I've got one of those WRMGs, and it comes with the AfterBurner (whatever model it is AB, PA, I dunno).

I like it. I'm not a fan of active EMGs, but the HZs are kinda weak without the AfterBurner IMO.

And just so you know, HZs are passive, not active like the 81. The battery is for the booster, not the pickups.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I re-read that and it does sound a little confusing. I know the HZs are passive. The reason I asked the question becuase I am considering changing to EMG 81/85 and wondered if they would be compatible with the buit in gain booster.

Comment

Biggest mistake I made was trading my WRMG for an RR24....
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yes, both active and passive pickups will be compatible with the gain booster.
          That guitar should have the EMG TurboCharger (which I think is discontinued) which is pretty much the same as the PA-2 or the Afterburner.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, TurboCharger. I knew there was another one but couldn't recall the name
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

The PA-2 is just a switch to turn on and off the boost (with a mini pot on its board to adjust the gain).
              I forget what exactly the difference was between the TC and the AB, but they were knobs to adjust the amount of gain, I think. Maybe one was always on and the other could be shut off, or one was a push/pull?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                The PA-2 is just a switch to turn on and off the boost (with a mini pot on its board to adjust the gain).
                I forget what exactly the difference was between the TC and the AB, but they were knobs to adjust the amount of gain, I think. Maybe one was always on and the other could be shut off, or one was a push/pull?

The WRMG I am looking at has push/pull. So it should simply be a matter of plugging the new pickups in? Is that right?

Comment

No..

No...the EMG 85/81 will need different V/T pots...but you should be able to keep the pot that is the afterburner. You'll also need a new output jack I believe...

Originally posted by Aaronharmon View Post
                  The WRMG I am looking at has push/pull. So it should simply be a matter of plugging the new pickups in? Is that right?

Comment

Yeah, you'll have to change the pots to 25k for the active EMGs and get a stereo output jack. Though, the guitar may already have the stereo output jack since it's already got the active electronics? Since the TurboCharger has a push/pull to turn the boost on and off, I'm not sure if the jack is stereo or not for that.

Comment

It is. I think I wired mine wrong, though - battery dies when it's unplugged

Anyway, I don't know if the TC pot is 25K, which is required for active EMGs. It should be. If not, and you want a Tone knob, you'll have to drill.

Comment

I aint scared to drill (or at least to hire someone to drill lol).

Well It's not an american made insturment (which I'm very big on), but the price was right so I decieded to take the plunge on this one. If anyone is interested, I will post pics. I will pick up a WR1 eventually. I have other priorities at the moment though.
                        Last edited by Aaronharmon; 08-18-2008, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering...with active EMGs could you wire in a toggle switch instead of using a stereo jack?
                          Scott

Comment

You could in affect add a switch instead of the stereo jack. But why? You'll have 2 steps instead of one when ever you plug a cable into it. There shouldnt be a need to change the pot for the TC. Its controlling the booster not the pups. Just replace the v/t pots with the 25k and you'll be good to go. Just make sure you follow the wireing diagram perfectly or you'll end up with NewC syndrom of the battery draining when its not plugged in. I believe the cneter lug on the stereo jack is the battery connection.
                            Gil
                            Oh and i think the Turbo charger had a higher gain than the After burner.

Comment

Oh I was just wondering. I like leaving the cable in so I have one less step to do
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X