Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

difference between dk-2 solid and trans color models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between dk-2 solid and trans color models?

I'm asking because I saw a cut in the lower horn in the solid colors models that doesn't appear in the trans models. Is it for high frets access?
    Is there any more difference?
    -Bruno

the bevel on the lower horn looks like shit with a maple top. That's why they don't do it on the trans finish guitars
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      the bevel on the lower horn looks like shit with a maple top. That's why they don't do it on the trans finish guitars
      That and it's harder to hide the parting line between the Flamed Maple top and the body wood.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Solid has just one normal colour and trans means see through :idea:

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
          That and it's harder to hide the parting line between the Flamed Maple top and the body wood.
          interesting... but does it affect the fret access?
          -Bruno

Comment

Originally posted by metal_reaper View Post
            interesting... but does it affect the fret access?
            I've been wondering that too. I have a trans-black DK2 so it lacks the bevel-thingy. I have noticed my hand hitting the edge once in a while and I can't help but wonder if it would help.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Not much of a Strat, or 24 fret guy. I would say that the combination of the lower horn shape + the 24 fret neck's heel sitting further back in the neck pocket would surely inhibit access to the frets.

I'm waiting for my DK2L to arrive in the shop, but it's a black one w/ the lower scallop.

Although, my LTD M100 has 24 frets, and I scalloped the lower horn on the front and back and it 'opened' up the horn immensely, so access was much better. I'd have to compare the body shape of the M100 with my DK2 to see if there's much of a difference.

That's a good observation you made there.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

How thick is the veneer?

Comment

I'm not sure, but I'd say it could be 3/8" to 1/2" atleast. I had a Trans.Amber KVX10, but I can't remember, it's been so long ago. I'm sure someone on here has a DK2 w/ a Transparent finish,and they could let you know for sure.
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven

Comment

I thought it was real thin, only like 1/8".
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Come to think of it Joe, you are probably closer to the actual thickness than I initually thought.
                      3/8" to 1/2" does seems a bit thick huh?
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven

Comment

If that... they peal it just thin enough to glue/sand on the DK's.
                        Now, if we are talking 750XL, then you are talking 1/2 inch.
                        You PAY for that kinda thickness, trust me.
                        My Westone that uncle Al put the arm cut in for me was probably about two wood cells thick.
                        LOL
                        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                        --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                        X