JS vs X vs MG vs Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JS vs X vs MG vs Pro

Aside from the obvious differences (pickups, binding, wood types, etc.) how does the quality between these lines differ? I'm talking fretwork, intonation, wiring, etc.

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in adding a guitar to my collection and can't afford (or rather can't justify the cost of) a Select.
    Scott

JS is shit wood and hardware. The rest is the same quality except for what you already listed and the tremolos.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
      JS is shit wood and hardware. The rest is the same quality except for what you already listed and the tremolos.
      Not so sure about that, cause I saw that the 'JS' series are made of Alder this year. Subsequent years were listed as Basswood one year, and Indian Cedro during it's debut year.

Now I don't know if this is an advertisement misprint or a fact. We all know that Jackson isn't very consistent about their spec listing.

I know the KVX10 King V was listed as Alder around '05 or '06, and then back to Basswood this year. I don't know how you'd know for sure aside from opening up the control cavity, but you'd have to really know your wood to make a visual assumption.

Very good topic, maybe we can get a true answer as to what wood is actually used for what years and then go to the comparison from there.

*I owned a JS30 King V, aside from the wood issue, I think that it was a nice playing guitar. The neck was a little thicker, but they all seem that way since the FMIC take over.
      The frets were nice, no buzzing or anything. Most of the other hardware was what you'd expect from an entry level axe. Not the greatest, but compared to others in it's price range they were the same if not superior.
      The only thing that I upgraded on my JS30KV was Sperzel Locking tuners, and the pickups. After a minor setup it was pretty much good to go.
      Hope this helped?
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Owning two "Professionals" and having played for a while a "Pro" (given to my brother) I can state that, while the Pro is a fine axe and obviously at the top of the current import lines, it can't hang with a Professional. Again, IMO.

I also own a Select. Love it. Great axe. But there's not much I can point to about it that makes it sound or feel better than my Professionals.

I'm a big proponent of "buy nice or buy twice". Some Professionals (RR's and Soloists)seem to get "Select" type used prices when they come up on Ebay. Some (Fusions, some Dinkys) don't.

Prices are coming down. Be relentless. I've seen several USA selects used for around $800 lately. What is your price range? If you can do $500 or so I think you can get a Professional if you keep at it. Might even do it for less than that.

Vass

Comment

Vass, the 'Professionals' that you speak of, you mean the bolt on profeesionals of the mid 90's?
          If so, then I would have to agree with you on the quality. They were top notch, very comparable to SanDimas or the Model Series. But I think that the JT-500 Trem was better than the JT-6 on the Model's.
          To me they are pretty much a bolt on USA in terms of quality and finish.
          They were pretty much basic solid colors, some had metallic. I think they are awesome playing guitars.
          Some people prefer OFR's and certain pickups, but other than that, I think they are on par with just about everything else.
          They are unsung and forgot about machines that are sure to catch on someday, and now's the time to buy. Especially when the market clamps up on the SanD's and USA's
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

MC- Yeah, the Professionals from 90's. Fantastic guitars. They have Professional versions of the Soloist, KV, RR1 too, so they're both bolts and neck throughs

Vass

Comment

Not so sure about that, cause I saw that the 'JS' series are made of Alder this year. Subsequent years were listed as Basswood one year, and Indian Cedro during it's debut year.
              I didn't realize they improved the woods. They might be decent guitars but they are not made in Japan. Makes a big difference in quality to me. The 2 Jacksons necks I have are both Professionals with MOP, so I guess I'm spoiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                I didn't realize they improved the woods. They might be decent guitars but they are not made in Japan. Makes a big difference in quality to me. The 2 Jacksons necks I have are both Professionals with MOP, so I guess I'm spoiled.
                Yeah those 'Professional' necks from the mid 90's that actually said 'professional' on the end of the headstock had the slimmest necks of any Jackson neck I've ever played.
                If I remember correctly the catalog from 93 or 94 listed the specs on them and the thickness at the 1st-3rd fret is 17mm, that's very slim.
                My KV3 is a '99 and it's neck is thicker than my 'professional', and that was before the FMIC buyout.

About all I can tell you about the body woods of the JS series is to do your homework before buying. Like I said they have changed the woods around thru the years. Good Luck
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

The X series are better-quality versions of the JS models, and the MG models (for the most part) are X and Pro models with EMG HZs (i.e. DKMG = DK2 with HZs).

The JS series is the only one that Jackson skimps on the wood, and even then, it's not complete crap like some companies' low-end models are.

I've owned Jackson import models from the whole spectrum - JS up to 1990/91 Professionals. The JS models are not bad, but not as good as the Pro or Professional models.

Then again, the current Pro models are nowhere near the older Professional models, but there's a very good reason for that.

Save the money and buy a used USA or early-mid 90's Professional. It's worth it.

You can't go wrong with a current Pro model, or even an MG model, but you may as well get the one that you know is going to last 10 years or more, so get the USA or Professional.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    ...and the MG models (for the most part) are X and Pro models with EMG HZs (i.e. DKMG = DK2 with HZs).
                    Not any longer. Since mid-2006 the MG series come with active EMGs. The DXMG still comes stock with the HZs, but is now apparently made of basswood, like the X-series.

Comment

Well, the Dinky and Rhoads are in every range, so of course the DXMG is the X-series Dinky with EMGs. The DKMG is basically a DK2 with EMGs.

Wasn't sure if the MGs were getting actives or HZs, though.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Great info so far. While I was reading I saw a Kelly Std come up on Ebay and I snagged it. A little more than I wanted to spend on it, but the owner has swapped the stock pickups for EMGs (81/85) and I've been meaning to try some EMGs out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=001

I'll post pics when I get it.

I totally agree with you all on the quality of the old Professionals. My first Jackson was a used King V Std and it was a great guitar for very little money.

So you'd really put the current Pros below the 90s Professionals in terms of quality?
                        Scott

Comment

NICE! That's a Professional series but not a "Pro". It is still IMHO going to be a better axe than a KE3- I am sure there will be someone who has a different opinion. The EMG upgrades, the case????? YOU STOLE that. GREAT deal.

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            So you'd really put the current Pros below the 90s Professionals in terms of quality?
                            Only the 1990-1994 Professional models. They were outselling the USA models at the time. They had the same specs as the USA models - bound ebony boards, MOP inlays, Schaller Floyds, Jackson-made pickups and electronics, same-quality body woods. All the USA models had that was different was the graphics and more color options, as well as the Custom Shop option.

Current neckthrough Pro models like the Morton are nice, but they're not competing with the current USA models (the body shape may have something to do with it).
                            It remains to be seen if the Demmel will affect USA KV sales.

Comment

You lucked right out bro! i'm incredibly jealous of righties. I think I was screwed from birth.
                              Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                              Great info so far. While I was reading I saw a Kelly Std come up on Ebay and I snagged it. A little more than I wanted to spend on it, but the owner has swapped the stock pickups for EMGs (81/85) and I've been meaning to try some EMGs out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=001

I'll post pics when I get it.

I totally agree with you all on the quality of the old Professionals. My first Jackson was a used King V Std and it was a great guitar for very little money.

"Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Working...
                              X