Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    Only the 1990-1994 Professional models.
    Are there any others? Or do you mean just the Professional Pros?

I was also taking a look through the catalog scans and is it true that the Kelly only became a production model in '93?
    Scott

Comment

A few guidlines I follow for the good ones that are not PROS. 95 they stopped using MOP( even though my 96 has it), and look for the schaller/JT590 trems.

Comment

Not so sure about that, cause I saw that the 'JS' series are made of Alder this year. Subsequent years were listed as Basswood one year, and Indian Cedro during it's debut year.
        I can't find anywhere that they changed the woods. Still listed as cedar(cendro)

Comment

Cedro <> Cedar

Cedro is much closer to mahogany as far as grain and tone quality, but is cheaper. Similar to the Poplar/Alder comparison.
          Scott

Comment

cedro wood is also called canadian cedar and spanish cedar.
            In spanish cedro is cedar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              I can't find anywhere that they changed the woods. Still listed as cedar(cendro)
              I'm not sure if it was Jackson's site, or a wholesale store that listed the 'JS' series as such.
              I do know that the KVX10's were listed as Alder one year, then Basswood, then Alder, then Basswood once again. They could have in fact been the same woods all along, just an advertisement type-o?

My string thru Trans Amber KVX10 was Alder w/ a flamed Maple cap, I know that for sure. I sold it and then wanted one of the newer KVX's because they now have floyds, but I declined because they have Basswood bodies, and I don't care for that wood so much.
              Maybe someone who knows for sure, can clear this confusion up once and for all?
              I'm only stating what I know and what I've seen, I wish I knew where I saw the ads. I might be able to tell by looking @ old AMS,and Musician Friend cats.
              I'll post if I find anything.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

The issue was that JS improved their woods and they didn't. For the king X series older alder (string thru) newer basswood. They changed the body woods around on some models to make the more expense ones alder.

Comment

Rich#6, I found some info on the JS30KV on Guitar Center's website.

It states the body wood as Alder:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-...63-i1147104.gc

The KVX10 is also listed as Alder:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-...35-i1147621.gc

Jackson's website has the JS30 King V listed as Indian Cedro:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/produc...tno=2900014528

And the KVX10 listed as Basswood:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/produc...tno=2900014528

This only adds to the confusion doesn't it?
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven

Comment

This only adds to the confusion doesn't it?
                    I don't pay attention to what any of the online stores post.

Comment

X series used to be in alder but started to use basswood since 2-3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                        I don't pay attention to what any of the online stores post.
                        I try not to, but sometimes they are right, and the manufacturers' web site is wrong. Not real sure what the case is here, but something isn't right that's for sure.
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

Don't ever take Jackson's spec listings at face value. They have made so many mistakes over the years - and there are still so many errors in there, it's not even funny. The Demmel V MOP error alone shows that the marketing guys at JCMI don't know one material from another.

That being said, I wouldn't trust a retailer to 100% either.

Comment

Working...
                          X