Import Jackson @ Thrift store - looks fake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Jackson @ Thrift store - looks fake

My friend runs a thrift shop and we found an import Jackson in the back and I can't figure out if it is real or not. I only have a picture of the headstock at this point. The jackson logo looks like it is nearly falling off at the top. The black body is a little thin and has a chip that reveals a red sparkle paint job under it...the black looks like plastic. It has 2 humbuckers, a vintage trim, and it is rear routed. The serial number is 01051182. I think it was made in 1991, but where did it come from. Anyone have a clue? Is it worth giving them $25 or $30 for it?

It's legit.
    It's a JS1. Piece of crap.
    Made in India.
    More like 2002, not 1991.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      It's legit.
      It's a JS1. Piece of crap.
      Made in India.
      More like 2002, not 1991.

Is it worth getting and then routing it for a floyd or is it just junk? I thought about using the neck on a charvel model 3 that I have because the frets on that one are screwed.

Comment

Its bottom of the barrel, but for $30 its a steal!
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yeah, if the neck isnt worn out or bowed, its a steal at that price.

Comment

My first Jackson was a mid `90s JS1, and it was actually quite good, even without any upgrades. If you can get one for really cheap and spend a few bucks on hardware and pickups, you should get a lot of use out of it.
            sigpic

Comment

I put a jt-590 on my son Jake's, two years ago, and it still plays really nice... swapped pickups too, since the stock ones were a bit harsh.
              Sometimes they can be players!
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Where the hell are these in my neck of the woods!? All I ever find is CRAP or POS copies of the guitars I would love to own....

Good Find!

Comment

I bet fett's on his way over there right now
                  "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Are you guys sure about this? The truss cover looks anything but authentic to me, but then again it's not often that I see a JS up close. However I think that the OP has good reason to be wary:

Originally posted by TheChaos
                    The black body is a little thin and has a chip that reveals a red sparkle paint job under it...
                    It's a refin for starters. God knows what parts they've put together to make this thing.

Originally posted by TheChaos
                    Is it worth getting and then routing it for a floyd or is it just junk? I thought about using the neck on a charvel model 3 that I have because the frets on that one are screwed.
                    I would stay away from it. If it is indeed a genuine Jackson, it's not a good one anyway. Yes, it is likely to be junk. The JS-series are not exactly praised for their excellence, and are not on par with the model series neck you're replacing. I would look for a genuine model series neck, or at least a DK-2 neck.

Comment

Parts mutt? Probably.

Fake? Doubtful. Nobody with an ounce of sense would bother trying to fake a bottom-end import. Less than an ounce, maybe.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well, considering that chinese pirate manufacturers don't even bother to get the body shapes right in many cases - it wouldn't surprise me, no.

Comment

If I found it, I'd do what I do with any guitar I'm considering buying.....play it for an hour. If I like it and it's fun to play and I can set it up ok, then why not? Without string locks, I'd clamp down that trem with 5 springs and remove the arm and just play it as a hard tail. I have one guitar (a Stagg) that I've done exactly that with and it's fine.

jack
                          Jackson PS-4
                          04 Ernie Ball Musicman Axis Supersport MM90
                          04 Ernie Ball Musicman Sub 1 HH
                          06 Godin Exit 22 HSS
                          69 Guild Studio 302 ch (original owner)
                          00 Ovation S771 Custom Balladeer
                          Stagg B500EX death metal guitar
                          08 Little Martin

Comment

Working...
                          X