Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DK2m reviews, anybody?

Hey y'all,

I've got a bit of gas money from my university loan, and a few guitars in mind to choose from. . .

I was wondering what this guitar is like. How is its setup? How is its build? Etc.

I have a DKMG, which is excellent, and thought that though it's similar, I'm not sure if the two can be compared to each other.

If I'm gonna spend loan money, I wanna make sure it's a killer guitar.

Cheers!

Joe

well joe....how much do you have?
    and how would you like your guitar? (think/thin neck, floyd rose system,shape,etc)
    though, comparing dk2m and dkmg, i think they're somewhat different since dkmg's neck feels better than the dk2 in general (tested em in GC a while ago).
    though, i would still recommend you my fave jackson, which is the jackson kelly(ke3).
    Own:
    '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
    w/e catches my eyes ATM
    More '90 Professionals

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
      well joe....how much do you have?
      and how would you like your guitar? (think/thin neck, floyd rose system,shape,etc)
      though, comparing dk2m and dkmg, i think they're somewhat different since dkmg's neck feels better than the dk2 in general (tested em in GC a while ago).
      though, i would still recommend you my fave jackson, which is the jackson kelly(ke3).
      Kelly's are nice - I've played a few in my time (fixed one up not long as well - but it was one of the lesser models)

I also own an RX10D - just bought it a couple weeks ago.

Would the neck of the DK2m compare to that a bit better?

How I want the guitar is to have the signature Jackson 'low-action', I like the trem on my DKMG, really, so no fuss there (have to change the pivot studs and/or sharpen the knife edges, though)

My friend has just had an SH-2n and SH-4 put in his guitar (I wired it up myself with a p/p coil shunt and a 5-way super switch (adds series and series/out of phase to stock tones) and I liked the sounds that came out of those pups, so no problems there.

I'll be doing loads more mods to it as well (a previous post I put here with the notion of 7 mini-toggles) and the DK2m's flat top and large electronics cavity will allow for that.

Apart from that, I really can't think of anything else, unless anyone has any other questions/suggestions?

Cheers!!

Joe

Comment

i've never played a rx10d, so i cant really say anything about it. though, based on its spec, i would say that the rx10d seems to have a thinner neck.
        anyway, i would say that getting a dk2m could gives you a low action since the guitar's action is as good as the guy who set the guitar up. hey, if you want to, go for it. otherwise, get a kelly and you'll be satisfied
        oh, a 90's jackson pros would be fine as well.
        Own:
        '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
        w/e catches my eyes ATM
        More '90 Professionals

Comment

Why don't you take the extra money from the loan and put it in savings, so you can pay off the loan faster? Just an idea.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            Why don't you take the extra money from the loan and put it in savings, so you can pay off the loan faster? Just an idea.

Now THAT is Economics 101 at the University. :ROTF:

Comment

it is nice
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I continue to be happy with my DK2M, which I've had ever since they came out. It was from the first run (had to wait a couple months for it to arrive) so I don't know if the necks have changed on the newer ones, but mine was gig-ready right out of the box. The neck is a little thicker than on my early `90s Jacksons, but quite comfortable. I like the sound of the stock Duncans, which is unusual since I've generally not been impressed by the JB.
                sigpic

Comment

I no longer have dk2m, but I loved the one I had. I also had an early run guitar, one of the first to be released. In fact, I paid 450.00 at GC when I got it. They were brand new to the market and GC was "giving them a test run."

The neck felt great, maybe a little thicker than the neck on my DK1s. The maple fretboard produced a nice bright sound while using the bridge duncan p'up. Popping harmonics was especially easy on the neck with the bridge p'up. The neck p'up created nice bluesy tones. In fact, I think I prefer the duncan p'ups to the EMG's in my DK1s.

If you have an opportunity to pick one up, I highly recommend it. Does it play as nice as my DK1, maybe not, but it didn't cost as much either. I recommend going somewhere and trying it if you can. Or, buy from one of the dealers here on the site. I've heard some stories about buying on ebay and such.

Good luck and post pics if you grab one!
                  Last edited by stevoc; 09-08-2008, 05:47 PM.
                  "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

The neck on the DK2M is a little fuller feeling but certainly not cumbersome. I have maybe medium-size hands at best and the neck feels comfortable. The pickups aren't bad and were my first real experience with Duncans. My guitar came fairly well set up though I tweaked it after I got it home. Actually, the first DK2M that I brought home got returned the next day as I found a split in the wood inside the trem cavity where one of the screws for the bridge pivot goes in. The second didn't have that problem. Do a search on here, too, about neck pocket issues on the DK2M. Some people have had horror stories but mine is just fine.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the guitar. It was a darn good guitar for the money.
                    Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                    X