Unknown Dinky at the pawn shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Dinky at the pawn shop?

I post this here because my guess is that it's imported. If there's a better place, I am sorry.

My friend and partner in musical crime told me that this place had a pink RG for sale. I go there to take a look because I'm a sucker for RGs, and don't find it... but I do find a Dinky. I don't know much about them, and the serial number on the neckplate was ground off with a disc sander (stolen huh?) so I am completely at a loss. This is what I can tell you:

- The truss rod cover said "Dinky RUS" if I saw correctly. But, typing this into google netted me nothing, so I may be wrong.
    - It is a dark sparkling red
    - has a licensed floyd trem, chrome.
    - pretty sure the neck had shark fin inlays
    - reversed black headstock.
    - H/H pickup configuration. Both were stock or at least said "jackson" on them, but the bridge one had a rail instead of the standard screws/studs.

Any ideas? It was 200 dollars including a case. Based on that ground-off neckplate... maybe even a counterfeit? Though that seems unlikely.
    Last edited by callistoashus; 09-15-2008, 07:49 AM.

Could it have said "Dinky Rev"? Then it could be a Dinky Reverse. Although no sharkfins there.

Scott

Comment

try googling Dinky RVS instead

sounds like a Dinky Reverse. I can't recall what the railed 'bucker is, but it is a stock pickup. Check out Henrik's catalogue scans and you should find it in one of the mid- late 90s catalogues: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/CatalogScans.htm
      Hail yesterday

Comment

That's a steal. The RVS had mother-of-pearl inlays instead of pearloid, and those necks alone go for over $200. Based on the pickups, truss rod logo and reverse headstock, all signs point to it NOT being a parts mutt, so the price is good. Too bad about the neck plate.
        sigpic

Comment

The chrome trem is throwing me... none of the Dinky Reverse's came with a chrome trem. They have always been black. OK, the DR2 had a chrome trem, but it didn't have any inlays and it was a USA piece.

Shark fin inlays would make it a DR3, but the DR3 didn't have a blade pup, that was on the DR5 with the off-set dots. The older Dinky Reverse that had "Dinky RVS" on the truss rod cover had the off-set dots.

It may be either a transition piece (made sometime between 1995 and 1996) or it's a parts guitar (neck swap). Either way, $200 with a case is a steal.
          -Rick

Comment

Thanks a bunch for all of your help.

I might go down there tomorrow and see if it's still there, and check for neck warp/other ugly problems, and possibly purchase it. Thing is, I dont really need more guitars.

I found a helpful link that shows you quite a bit what it's like - this, only red with a chrome floyd: http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI....ayphotohosting

Looking at that truss cover and the rounded shape of the V, I can see why I mistook it for "RUS". One question... the color options on that 94-95 catalog page give BLK, DMV, CB, STN as the colors. Obviously it's not the first or last... but the color I saw must've been DMV (which is dark metallic violet?) right? If so, that lines everything except the chrome floyd up with the RVS specs.

Comment

I have a Dinky RVS neck on a DR3 body, and it does in fact have sharkfin inlays. The Dinky Rev model had dots, as did the DR5.

Is the other hardware chrome? It should match the trem, unless the trem was swapped.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                I have a Dinky RVS neck on a DR3 body, and it does in fact have sharkfin inlays. The Dinky Rev model had dots, as did the DR5.
                I had a candy apple green RVS model with the sharkfins (the back of the neck also had a really nice flame, but I can't remember if the sharkfins were MOP or MOTO), and I had a REV (dark metallic purple) with offset MOP dots.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by callistoashus View Post
                  but the color I saw must've been DMV (which is dark metallic violet?) right? If so, that lines everything except the chrome floyd up with the RVS specs.
                  The purple one I had was DMV (can't remember if it was called deep or dark metallic violet). It had tiny metallic flakes in the paint and you couldn't really tell it was a metallic color unless looking closely.
                  Here's the only pic I could find of it from many years ago with a very crappy camera.

Comment

Okay, now I'm confused. I have the same exact guitar in the ebay link (different color), sharkies, blade bridge (which I replaced), black hardware, reverse headstock. So, I always thought it was a DR3. Or is it a DR5? Or possibly a reanimated DRWEST? Too lazy to pull the neck off, maybe I should just do that.
                    EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by drockilles View Post
                      Okay, now I'm confused. I have the same exact guitar in the ebay link (different color), sharkies, blade bridge (which I replaced), black hardware, reverse headstock. So, I always thought it was a DR3. Or is it a DR5? Or possibly a reanimated DRWEST? Too lazy to pull the neck off, maybe I should just do that.
                      What year is it?

In 1995, the Dinky RVS became the DR3 and got sharkies. It still had a blade pup in the bridge for that year. In 96, the DR3 got a standard pup and the DR5 kept the blade pup and offset dots like the original Dinky RVS.
                      -Rick

Comment

Ah, got it now. Thanks Rick.
                        EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

The Dinky RVS had MOP inlays, while the DR3 had pearloid. I replaced my DR3's neck with an RVS neck (I despise pearloid) but did have to use a different locking nut. Otherwise, they were identical.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                            The Dinky RVS had MOP inlays
                            The "Dinky RVS" never (officially) had sharkies, it always came with off-set dots.
                            It got sharkies when it was renamed the DR3 in Late 95/96 and dropped the "Dinky RVS" name from the truss rod cover.

That being said, I do know I have seen a few with the "Dinky RVS" on the truss rod cover with sharkies in late 95. Most likely transition guitars.

1994/95 Catalog

1996 Catalog
                            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                              The "Dinky RVS" never (officially) had sharkies, it always came with off-set dots.
                              It got sharkies when it was renamed the DR3 in Late 95/96 and dropped the "Dinky RVS" name from the truss rod cover.
                              Why did my green one have sharkfins then? And a DR3 would have a Gibson-type toggle switch and not the blade selector like the other DR models.

Comment

Working...
                              X