DK2M New or Used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M New or Used?

So in my area I see them going for $400ish used. Thing is each time I see them its always white or black and I hate solid colours on guitars! lol

But to get the new trans colour or swirl it will be about $700 plus tax.

So I was thinking of just getting any used one sand the body down to bare wood and make a nice swirl design on it. Like this http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

My only concern is the trem, as I've never owned a guitar with one and not sure if I can take it out and put it back on again properly. Is it difficult? Is it possible that I can accidentally break it?

Thoughts?

I can't really help you on the trem part of your post but I must say that a swirl-painted DK2M would look seriously amazing!
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

taking off the trem is easy. Best down in your yard. Remove the strings from the guitar. Remove the springs. Retrieve trem from neighbour's yard. Installation is the same procedure in reverse, apart from the neighbour's yard part - you should already have the trem in your hands since you retrieved it early.

Check out the Tech section for same great tips on setting your Floyd up (once it's back in the guitar, of course)
      Hail yesterday

Comment

the assembling part is easy since its pretty common sense...remove it, then put it back in reverse, string first of course. but the hard part is the tuning part; a floating bridge is very hard to tune since since when you change the tuning of a string, the other strings get affected by it.
        Own:
        '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
        w/e catches my eyes ATM
        More '90 Professionals

Comment

Thanks for the responses! Here's the one I'm thinking of getting.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...QAdIdZ75414797

Comment

That looks to be in very nice condition so if it plays well, go for it! It's to bad the Kijiji in my area didn't have good guitars (I don't want your plywood beginner guitar for 350 bucks!)
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Nice-looking dinky, you should get a black one though so you're less likely to lose it in all the stereotypical Canadian snow.

But man alive that neck has me jonesing for some maple goodness. I wish I'd picked one up when GC/MF had 'em on clearance a while back. Guess Mrs. Butterworth's will have to do for now. heh
              |My CSG gallery|
              (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

^ we dont get that much snow in my area lol

Also I got the serial number 9801942, where do I go to look it up?

Comment

you can't. There's no register of import serials
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

All that serial number tells me is that it was made after mine, which was made in late '06, so it should be a 2007 model.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

Sorry for going a tad OT: is every DK2M MIJ? Here in Europe the guitar sells for 750-1000 bucks in store.
                      White is nice.

Comment

yep, all DK2Ms are Japanese
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          yep, all DK2Ms are Japanese
                          Thanks for info. Its
                          White is nice.

Comment

I posted before i finished: its good they are all built in Japan. Thanks again.
                            White is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              taking off the trem is easy. Best down in your yard. Remove the strings from the guitar. Remove the springs. Retrieve trem from neighbour's yard. Installation is the same procedure in reverse, apart from the neighbour's yard part - you should already have the trem in your hands since you retrieved it early.

Check out the Tech section for same great tips on setting your Floyd up (once it's back in the guitar, of course)
                              Now THAT was fucking funny!
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X