Demmelition Vs KV2 - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demmelition Vs KV2 - Review

Before I splooge about wanking guitars yesterday, I've been signed up here for ages, and pop my head in every now and then. Over the past few months I've decided I'm simply going all out with my guitar rig and finally getting the shit I've ALWAYS wanted, rather than the stuff that appeals to me momentarily. Namely, that includes pointy flying V's and massive-output tube amps!

I raged on a Demmelition yesterday, next to a KV2. First off, I gotta say... I couldn't pick which I liked more. I REALLY didn't like the control setup on the KV2, it's impossible to quickly switch from neck to bridge pickup when coming out of a solo, that rear volume knob just get in the way like nobody's business, so that edges the Demmel, I think. The Demmel had a slightly thicker neck than the KV2, and wasn't as fast, but it was more akin to what I'm used to with my current main guitars, a Fernandes Ravelle and a Dean Caddy.

The one thing I wasn't too kean about on the Demmel was the factory Drop B tuning. Apart from the fact that the guy in the shop tried putting the damn thing into standard turning, swiftly leaving me to dick about with the guitar for 20 minutes before it was playable, the thicker string gauge (low .056, I think) makes it hard to gauge if you're really gonna like a guitar for it's intended purpose, and, for me atleast, means the thing's gonna need a pro set-up straight away - Something some guitar shops round here don't offer when you simply buy a guitar.

I did want to try a Rhoads model, just for the sake of neck and body-size comparison. I'm a big guy, but the Demmel looks like it suits me quite well, as does the KV2, of course. Just that control layout...

Despite probably not getting the best feeling for it, the fit and finish on the Demmel was awesome, and I really did dig the neck on it, I think it was a D shaped, but I'm sure you all know that already! For me at this point in time, the Demmel gets my vote, just because you probably couldn't tell it apart from the KV2 blindfolded if you didn't know better. And the red is absolutely gorgeous! I'll hopefully pick one of these up before years end - My first Jackson!

Here's a couple of pics with the guitars, pardon me talking on the phone in the first pic!

On a quick side note, I played a Krank Rev Jr, too. Man, oh man, I gotta get me one of them!
    Last edited by Meisterjager; 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM.
    Peavey 6505
    Framus Dragon Cabs

You should have tried an ESP Eclipse, they're way better than those crappy jacksons.

Comment

Yeah... you can blame Dave for inflicting me on you all

Dave, you suck! But thanks for your help the other night, I think the other guy in my band's looking at either some sort of Soloist or a KV2T. Just needs to decide whether he wants a pointy.
      Peavey 6505
      Framus Dragon Cabs

Comment

lol, go for the demmel. i'm getting mine as soon as the delivery guy knocks on my door (ordered it yesterday, red of course...b/w is just too simple). though unlike in your music store, not even my local GC has any of the 2 i'm comparing against...RR24 and demmel...but decided to go for a demmel anyway =D
        grats dude. and as for the strings, i'm prob going to switch it to a lighter gauge since i cant immagine putting it on a standard....i bet that the neck would get snapped....but it'll be awesome anyway =D
        Own:
        '93 Rhoads PRO, '92 Fusion Ex, '90 Soloist PRO:, Zoom GFX-5 + moar shitty pedals, Marshall mg15 DFX

Dreamin abt:
        w/e catches my eyes ATM
        More '90 Professionals

Comment

I wish the (2) guitar shops near me had any Jacksons better than the RR3 and DK2M

Comment

Oh, these guitar shops aren't near me! I was in London to see In Flames and had a day to kill! I still have a real soft spot for White w/Black guitars. Dave pointed me towards the new RR5 FR's, so I may look into them next with that colour scheme. Depends what NAMM can bring us... a Japanese rendition of the KV2T would be immense, White w/Pinstripe, TOM and reverse pointy HS = Bonerville!

Guitar's gonna be in D standard tuning, so some tweaking is definitely needed, I haven't played such massive gauge strings for years, so it was quite strange. You're right, I'm sure those strings tuned up to standard would rip the neck right out of it's pocket! Big problem is this shop is way overpriced, so I hope the axes are of a fairly consistent quality, cos I think I'll be ordering online.
            Peavey 6505
            Framus Dragon Cabs

Comment

Yea, the next Jackson I buy...which is looking like is never gonna happen...is gonna have to be online, which sucks.

And that Demmel looks sweet

Comment

do you not think the cutaways make the body look TINY? i would like to have a play on one though....
                Double Rhoads "Vader" Custom.
                Double Rhoads "Empire" Custom.

EVH 5150III Head and Cabs
                ISP Decimator Pedal
                Sony Wireless Systems
                Ernie Ball Strings 52-10

www.facebook.com/evileuk

Comment

I have that exact KV2, white w/ black bevels. It ain't too bad of an axe.

Did you like the Duncans or EMGs better?
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

I'd take the KV2 over the Demmel personally.

USA > Import imo

Comment

Originally posted by TVTiZtiK View Post
                      I'd take the KV2 over the Demmel personally.

USA > Import imo
                      £1,500 > £900, with marginal difference in playability? You gotta have some kinda stigma about buying anything other than USA guitars. USA doesn't necessarily mean 'Best'.

And this side of the pond, they're both 'imports', anyway!

Larz, I'm normally a Duncan guy, and have JB's in my other axes, but this is the first time I've actually enjoyed playing with EMG's. That could be many factors, though. I always enjoyed EMGs on 7 string axes, so I think they maybe need either the thick strings or the low tunings, or a combination of both. My Duncans give me more of a djenty chunk through most amps I play them through in D standard, compared to the LTD F400 a friend has, and the EC-1000 I used to have.

With that in mind, I'd have to make a decision on pickups when I get the guitar set up for my specs.

Matt, I don't think they're cutaways on the Demmel, more like additional bits, I think. If you follow the long fin, you can see it'd probably make it's way to the crotch, too. Everyone I've shown those 2 pics to have said the KV2 looks much smaller, but it may be an illusion of sorts.
                      Peavey 6505
                      Framus Dragon Cabs

Comment

I would like to have a go, i imagine they play exactly like a KV2 would...

But i'm sure they are cutaways, you can tell that the KV2 body is bigger, the Demmelition body looks a lot shorter and kinda......... squashed.

Or maybe i just have one squashed eye.
                        Last edited by EvileMatt; 10-03-2008, 07:00 AM.
                        Double Rhoads "Vader" Custom.
                        Double Rhoads "Empire" Custom.

EVH 5150III Head and Cabs
                        ISP Decimator Pedal
                        Sony Wireless Systems
                        Ernie Ball Strings 52-10

www.facebook.com/evileuk

Comment

Go and check one out, dude. These were in a shop in Denmark Street in London. Only other places I know that has them is Andertons Music in Guildford, Guitar Village in Farnham near Guildford and Soundslive in Newcastle (I'm not sure if that's a physical shop, though).

My photos were taken at different angles, Demmelition from head height, and the KV2 from the 'money shot' angle

I just noticed I'd have to get a damn case for the Demmelition, too. Why can't more manufacturers pair up guitars with cases? I don't even know if a Demmelition will fit in a KV2 case
                          Peavey 6505
                          Framus Dragon Cabs

Comment

Originally posted by Meisterjager View Post
                            I just noticed I'd have to get a damn case for the Demmelition, too. Why can't more manufacturers pair up guitars with cases? I don't even know if a Demmelition will fit in a KV2 case
                            USA models come with cases, imports don't. And the Demmelition does indeed fit a KV2 case. Here's a guy that's got both and also did a review.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was in that exact shop in London a few months ago. The KV2 was fucking £2000 back then!!!
                              I really wanted to try it out, as I haven't played one yet and it's my next choice as far as new guitars go.

But I didn't want to have to ask to play it when they have the price so goddamn high, especially as I had no intention whatsoever of buying it from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X