Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR3 Questions

Greetings,

Wondering about the entry level RR3. Anyone play this axe? How does it compare to the upper level models?

I bought an inexpensive Ephiphone Les Paul that had a "Floyd" on it...the "Floyd" is worthless...I can take my old Charvel and go Steve Vai Crossroads on her and maybe, just maybe the b string goes slightly flat. On the Ephiphone one wiggle and it's time to readjust. That guitar is going to get a real Floyd installed and will be fine...wondering if the lower line RR3 has the same trem issue and if it's worth checking out.

Thanks
    Brian

The JT-580 isn't worthless, provided it's set up right.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The rr3 aren't entry level. the trems are pretty good. the new ones come with Seymour duncan pickups too. There are 2 lower models of rhoads below the rr3. They are in the professional line of Jackson imports9 made in Japan). Epiphones on the other had are made in china.

Comment

If you buy a new one, they come with genuine Floyds as far as I'm aware. Duncan pickups too. Pretty fantastic guitars I'd say.

I have one of the slightly older ones, with a licensed Floyd and it stays in tune just fine. I don't use the locking nuts on my Jacksons and I don't have any problems with tuning.
        Mine came with crappy Duncan Designed pickups, but the ones in the newer versions are great pickups.
        I've got Duncan Blackouts in mine now and had Dave (Budman) make me up red pearl scratchplate and stuff for it. It's a great guitar.
        All that said, I prefer my SL3 and Epiphone Black Beauty.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I guess I'm showing how uneducated I am. Specifically I'm speaking of the RR3 they advertise for around $650...is this the same guitar everyone is talking about? And thanks for all the thoughtful replies so far...

Comment

I'm in the UK so I don't know what you get for $650. But if it's a brand new model, from the last year or so, then it's got real FLoyd and Duncans and is a great guitar. The older one is also a great guitar, but the FLoyd and Duncans are superb upgrades.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              The rr3 aren't entry level. the trems are pretty good. the new ones come with Seymour duncan pickups too. There are 2 lower models of rhoads below the rr3. They are in the professional line of Jackson imports9 made in Japan). Epiphones on the other had are made in china.
              epiphones are not made in china,only the "fake" ones on e-bay are from china.....

Comment

AFAIK epis at least some of them are china made,
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

you are right..the "fake" ones are china made

Comment

epiphones are not made in china,only the "fake" ones on e-bay are from china.....
                    so that big writeup in guitar world a few months back about their new china factory is BS?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                      so that big writeup in guitar world a few months back about their new china factory is BS?
                      no, that's where Epiphone make the fake ones. Come on, Rich. Keep up

a quick google search turned up this interview with Jim Rosenberg. About halfway down he mentions the factory they opened up in '02 in Qingdao. http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=83
                      Last edited by VitaminG; 10-14-2008, 06:19 AM.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                        I'm in the UK so I don't know what you get for $650. But if it's a brand new model, from the last year or so, then it's got real FLoyd and Duncans and is a great guitar. The older one is also a great guitar, but the FLoyd and Duncans are superb upgrades.
                        RR3s don't have OFRs, they have the JT580LP like all the other pro series guitars in the same price range (DK2s, KE3s etc)
                        I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

...and an brand new OFR will cost £150-£200 in the UK. RRP for a new RR3 will cost you £300-£500 depending on the finish. Be warned: If you buy from USA, take into consideration approx £75 postage, then import duty 3.7% and 17.5% VAT which customs will slap on top of the total. You might find it cheaper or about the same to just buy a new RR3 from your local UK store. The exchange rate isn't looking good right now either.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The 06 and newer RR3's have the JT580lp with hardened baseplate, many have found it to be a really good trem, but it just has an arm that can come loose...

As long as most Floyds are set up correctly they shouldnt give you much hassle, however the cheaper Floyds can be made of terrible materials which can sometimes make the strings slip pop out and generally make life difficult...

The RR3 trem should be pretty solid i've played witha few jt580 trems and they have felt pretty good, and with the newer pro's having the hardened baseplate it should last a fairly long time...

The newer models have black hardware and real seymlour duncan pickups jb/59 in most models...

Should be avery nice guitar, you may wan't to relocate the strap button to stop the neck diving if that happens...

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
                              The 06 and newer RR3's have the JT580lp with hardened baseplate, many have found it to be a really good trem, but it just has an arm that can come loose...

As long as most Floyds are set up correctly they shouldnt give you much hassle, however the cheaper Floyds can be made of terrible materials which can sometimes make the strings slip pop out and generally make life difficult...

The RR3 trem should be pretty solid i've played witha few jt580 trems and they have felt pretty good, and with the newer pro's having the hardened baseplate it should last a fairly long time...

The newer models have black hardware and real seymlour duncan pickups jb/59 in most models...

Should be avery nice guitar, you may wan't to relocate the strap button to stop the neck diving if that happens...
                              Yeah, the JT-580LP on my DK2M seems a really nice trem, and my friend who has an RR24 said he didn't really notice much difference between how his and my trems felt. The only annoyance I have is that the shop gave me a bag with 3 allen keys, and not one of them is 3mm! I had to borrow a tool with a 3mm allen attachment from a friend for tuning (I guess the factory strings weren't stretched too well because my whammy abuse sent it waaay out of tune).

But, that tool's no good for changing strings, which I wanted to do today, because when I try to get at the string clamp screws it collides with the fine tuners...

My other friend with the RR24 might be lending me an allen key tomorrow. I'll have to pick one up from a DIY store sometime...
                              I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X